PDA

View Full Version : Hp Mold

MT Gianni
08-30-2007, 08:47 PM
Buckshot did his usually best work with an amazing turnaround time. I have a LY devistator mold in 357/9mm and wasn't really happy with the pin depth or diameter. I had him make 2 pins for a pittance. 1 is 0.200" deep 0.170" taper to 0.150 " taper similar to the original. The 2nd is 0.200" deep tapering from 0.150-0.120. Now to get some cast and fill up the milk jugs. Gianni.

MtJerry
08-30-2007, 09:24 PM
I have a Lyman 358429 and a Lyman 429244 that reeally need to see Buckshot. Just gotta save some penny's first.

crabo
08-30-2007, 11:54 PM
What kind of results have you gotten with that mold? Do you think the bevel base hurts it's accuracy? What calibers are you loading it in? Do you think it would work good in 9mm?

Enough questions?

Crabo

MT Gianni
08-31-2007, 10:59 AM
I bought it this summer and found it to have a much wider hollow than my other H.P. molds. [358439 & Lee 150HP in 38 cal] I intend it mainly for the 9mm and have acceptable accuracy in the CZ85. I have a Taurus 3" millenium pro that I would like to use this in if any of our big dogs, recently introduced, started to harm my lab or family on our walks. My thinking was a smaller hollow would penetrate more before expanding but I need to get some milk jugs out and do some expermenting. Gianni.

MT Gianni
08-31-2007, 07:01 PM
I cast some of both with it this afternoon. I found bullplate lube to work great on the portion of the pin going into the mold body. It made for a quicker release when I finally thought of it. Keeping the pin in the mold is the best way to conserve heat. It was pulled just before releasing the bullet and inserted immediatly after. Gianni.

crabo
08-31-2007, 09:39 PM
Please keep us advised of your testing results. I have this same mold, but I am just now about to start casting. I have been collecting and smelting WWs, buying equipment, researching the subject, and am finally ready to start casting.

I was wanting to have the bevel base removed because of the experiences I have had shooting cast boolits is that plain based boolits seem to shoot better than BB.

Thanks,

Crabo

MT Gianni
09-01-2007, 12:50 AM
[I was wanting to have the bevel base removed because of the experiences I have had shooting cast boolits is that plain based boolits seem to shoot better than BB.

Thanks,

Crabo[/QUOTE]

Will do but the main use of this boolit will be in the 9 at 25 yds or less. Gianni.