PDA

View Full Version : Lee 20 pound bottom pour pot

Gliden07
04-13-2013, 09:07 AM
My backordered pot finally became available!! But I I have a question or two! After filling this pot with lead fluxing it, scraping off the dross do I reflux and leave the burnt flux on top of the lead to prevent oxidation? I am using a ladle pot now, so I have been watching some Youtube Video's to try and get how I should do the actual pours. But Youtube has a lot of misinformation, figured I'd ask some experts!

Frozone
04-13-2013, 05:33 PM
I leave the burnt sawdust on the top.

runfiverun
04-13-2013, 09:12 PM
leave it there.
it just takes up surface area so it keeps the alloy from being exposed to the oxygen.

Vinne
04-14-2013, 12:06 AM
I now bottom pour so I get most of the trash off the top then flux and clear off the top again not caring what little is left. Have fun with your new toy!!

gunoil
04-14-2013, 11:29 PM
i been leaving all junk on top lately and not fluxing, i have nice lead.

dmclark523
04-14-2013, 11:38 PM
I always scrape it off... I guess i'm in the minority?

gandydancer
04-14-2013, 11:44 PM
I leave the burnt sawdust on the top.

I agree. works well for me. nice shiny Boolits. add lead add sawdust stir with paint stick clean off junk.add a little more sawdust let burn leave on.

Gliden07
04-14-2013, 11:56 PM
There are a couple reasons I wanted to get the Bottom pour pot. The pot I have now has no temp control on it at all its on or unplugged!! I keep fluxing and scraping crud off the top of the pot because I ladle, and of course the lead is constantly oxidizing. I don't have a thermometer but I'm sure its running to hot. I have a project on the bench a PID control that I need to finish. But the PID I have I can't figure out how to program. It was givin to me so I'm trying to figure it out. If not I'll get a new one from Frozone?? I think that will be the way to go when I get everything going. Just takes time and money, and being laid off and going to school I'm a little short on both!! It will all be worth it in the end and I will appreciate it more because I had to work for it all!!

Cane_man
04-15-2013, 02:59 PM
you guys leave some lead in the pot when you are done and let it cool in there, or do you pour it all out?

km101
04-15-2013, 03:03 PM
I leave the burnt sawdust on the top, and I leave the pot at least half full to speed up the melt/filling process for the next run.

trixter
04-15-2013, 05:03 PM
I too leave melt in the pot when I am done., I also leave some melt in the dutch oven that I smelt in. It seems to go a little smoother at start up. When the pot is up to temp and I add more lead, I let it come back to temp again and flux with Ponderosa Pine sawdust, Light it and stir it in real good and then let it float on top as I cast. I always have nice clean boolits. I love this hobby, making stuff with your hands is so much fun.