PDA

View Full Version : Opinions for lube die size

Sig
04-13-2013, 08:47 AM
I posted previously about slugging the barrel of my P220 & getting a measurement of.453". The advice I got here was that I should do it again. I have confirmed after making 4 more slugs & measuring that it is indeed .453". I have been using 200gn SWC's in it that I bought. I do get some leading but not bad. Those SWC's measure .452". I casted some boolits(pure lead with about 2% tin added) & they measure .4530"-.4535". Am I wasting my time if I purchase a .453" sizing die? Should I "beagle" the mold(RCBS 45-201SWC) & go with a .454" lube die? What is my best option? I should also mention that the SWC's I bought were bevel based & the one's I'm casting are flat base. I appreciate your input.

Sig

Shiloh
04-13-2013, 09:28 AM
You need a larger boolit, and may have to open up the sizing die.
What are you slugging with?? Is it pure lead??
Over size bore's make it difficult to find the correct match. MAybe someone could chime in about how much of a diameter increase you get by adding some linotype to the alloy.

Shiloh

RobS
04-13-2013, 09:36 AM
What are you slugging with?? Is it pure lead?? Good point. Pure lead as other alloys can spring back.
Over size bore's make it difficult to find the correct match. MAybe someone could chime in about how much of a diameter increase you get by adding some linotype to the alloy.

Shiloh

I prefer to size .001 over groove diameter in many of my firearms but I will size .002 for some and even more in revolvers if necessary to fill the cylinder throats. A person can rely on obturation of a boolit to fill the bore (shooting a cast boolit at groove diameter or less and then plan on the pressures of the load to upset the base of the boolit and fill the bore). However I choose to not make shooting cast difficult and size to "fit" the firearm...........makes life much easier.

243winxb
04-13-2013, 09:42 AM
I have been using 200gn SWC's in it that I bought. I do get some leading but not bad. Those SWC's measure .452". .452" diameter is standard for the 45acp. A larger diameter may give chambering problems. Testing is the only way to know.

Sig
04-13-2013, 09:44 AM
What are you slugging with?? Is it pure lead??

Shiloh

I don't have a sizing die yet. I want to buy one, but I want to get the right size.

Yes, I'm slugging with pure lead(sheet lead cleaned & fluxed)

Sig

Sig
04-13-2013, 09:47 AM
.452" diameter is standard for the 45acp. A larger diameter may give chambering problems. Testing is the only way to know.

Good point! I will make some dummies with the boolits I have casted.

Sig

243winxb
04-13-2013, 09:51 AM
A sizing die may not produce the diameter marked on it. This is because different alloys spring back at different rates. How much i do not know. Or the sizing die could have been made out of spec. I returned a few to Lyman when die made boolits of the wrong diameter.

Sig
04-13-2013, 09:57 AM
I was planning on contacting "lathesmith" & having him make me a die once I know what size to try.

Sig

RobS
04-13-2013, 10:33 AM
Considering your bore measurements then I would try to beagle your mold to drop at .454, lube them and see how things work. If that is a go then a .454 sizing die.

dverna
04-13-2013, 04:58 PM
Are you sure the micrometer is correct? If you are using a caliper it can cause a problem.

It is hard to believe the bore would be that large.

You may try measuring a commercial bullet and see if it reads properly.

Fluxed
04-13-2013, 05:09 PM
I'd hand lube some of those .453 cast bullets and shoot them at that size. If that works well, you have your answer for the size die. It's perfectly OK to run those bullets through a .453 die just to lube.

Sig
04-13-2013, 05:51 PM
Are you sure the micrometer is correct? If you are using a caliper it can cause a problem.

It is hard to believe the bore would be that large.

You may try measuring a commercial bullet and see if it reads properly.

Well I found it hard to believe too. That's why I made 4 more slugs & measured them with a micrometer & 2 different sets of dial calipers. I did measure a commercial cast bullet & it measured .452". I made some dummy rounds out of the unsized boolits that I casted & they do chamber. I'll try hand-lubing some & shoot them.

Sig

Shiloh
04-14-2013, 04:45 PM
I was planning on contacting "lathesmith" & having him make me a die once I know what size to try.

Sig

Or Buckshot.
He has done light machine work for me.

Shiloh

RobS
04-21-2013, 01:02 AM
Or Buckshot.
He has done light machine work for me.

Shiloh

+1 on Buckshot. He will make either the Lee push through type or the Lyman Lube/sizer type. I don't think Buckshot will make a die size diameter that is already a current production die from Lee, Lyman or RCBS etc. So if you are wanting a .454 die probably not but a .453 then yep. I had him make me a .453 die once and it was a very well done and spot on with the alloy I stated I was going to be using.