PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a compromise

badboyparamedic
04-12-2013, 09:12 PM
I was given a 44 cal blackpowder revolver(one of the brass framed ones), I am looking at getting a 45 cal flintlock rifle too. Is there a lead ball that I can get that would be usable in both?

I know it would be a compromise but with things the way they are now getting one mold would be easier than 2. Also if I understand right, FFFg will work as the main powder for both the pistol and the rifle, is that correct?

GrizzLeeBear
04-12-2013, 09:25 PM
Oddly enough, you will need a .45 caliber (.454 or so) ball for the .44 revolver and you will need a .44 caliber (.440) ball for the .45 cal. rifle. I know, it seems backwards. They are both approximately .45 caliber in the grooves, but you will load the revolver with full caliber roundballs with no patch. In the rifle, the ball needs to be small enough to allow room for the patch around it.
However, you are correct that FFFg powder will work just fine for both.

Good Cheer
04-12-2013, 09:52 PM
You can get an abused .36 rifle and have it rebored to take a round ball suited to a .44 revolver. That was my path and it worked but it's not less expensive than a second Lee mold. I just happened to have had a .36 bought on the internet and the seller somehow neglected to mention that the barrel was ringed. So, now it's a .46 bore rifle and uses .451 to .454 round ball. And I missed having a small bore rifle so now everything turned out for the best! :drinks:

waksupi
04-13-2013, 02:42 AM
Considering the cost of a Lee mold, I would get the firearm you want, then spend the $14 on a mold for each.

james8719
04-13-2013, 06:24 AM
Pain in the backside, I know! The balls are close enough in size that you can easily mix them up! I went with conicals in my revolver so as not to confuse myself.

badboyparamedic
04-13-2013, 08:32 AM
Price of molds isn't really the problem as much as getting hold of them right now. Everyone seems to be out of almost everything.

So 440 round ball for the rifle and 454 round ball for the pistol, correct?

Whatu about using a Lee Minie Bullet in the rifle? What size?

Maven
04-13-2013, 09:47 AM
"So 440 round ball for the rifle and 454 round ball for the pistol, correct? What about using a Lee Minie Bullet in the rifle? What size?"

Not so fast, bbpm. You'll have to examine the revolver to see whether the recommended RB diameter is .454" or
.451". If you've already done so, go with what's recommended. As for the Lee Minie bullet, it depends on the twist rate of your bbl. I.e., if it's between 1:24 and 1:48 a Minie ball can be accurate IF it's large enough to fit your bore. You'll need to determine the twist rate before settling on a mold. If you want a conical bullet, the Lee .440" REAL or Lyman or Thompson Center .440 Maxi-Ball may be a better choice. Btw, I have a brand new (in the box) iron Ohaus .440" RB mold (made for Thompson Center) for sale if you're interested.

Edm
04-20-2013, 05:24 PM
And believe me..you don't want to try to push a .45 cal ball down the rifle barrel...

telebasher
04-20-2013, 05:47 PM
And believe me..you don't want to try to push a .45 cal ball down the rifle barrel...
Unless your shooting a Green Mountain barrell. They shoot full caliber in every muzzeloading barrell caliber and are very scary accurate if you can shoot!

Edm
04-20-2013, 10:39 PM
I was using a GM barrel. With patch first round was tough...second broke the ramrod.

telebasher
04-21-2013, 02:42 PM
I have two 45 Green Mountain barrells and they both are tack drivers with my cast .451 balls and .15-.18 pillowticking patch. What diameter RB's are you trying to load? Mine are snug but very manageable with a wet patch/dry patch every 5 shots in cold weather and 10 shots in hot weather using FFF Goex, 45-60 grains.