PDA

View Full Version : My first post here!

Fly
04-12-2013, 08:31 PM
Guy's I'm a muzzle loader.I use as pure of lead as I can get.I flux with sawdust & wax.I use a Lee pour pot.
I just bought a temp gage also.But my problem seems to be contamination.Even thow I flux!Well I got
to thinking tonight.I don't heat my bulk lead into ingets, like most.I just cut it off & drop in pot.

I use scap lead, roofing & ole lead pipes.

My question is, When you melt your lead into ingets, I know you flux also before pouring into molds.
Then you flux again when pouring bullets.Maybe the second fluxing is why my lead is not coming out that pure?

Your thoughts please.
Fly:veryconfu

whisler
04-12-2013, 09:15 PM
I melt my pipe, roof jacks, etc. into ingots first, fluxing with sawdust and skimming well. When they are remelted in the casting pot, they are fluxed again. Casts pretty clean round balls this way.

wv109323
04-12-2013, 09:41 PM
I think your initial assessment is correct in that you are not fluxing enough. Lead pipe in my experience is one of the nastiest lead sources there is.
I don't think that you can get the lead clean with just one flux. I flux when I make ingots and when I melt the lead in the bottom pour pot. I still have trouble with contamination.

Fly
04-12-2013, 10:01 PM
I think your initial assessment is correct in that you are not fluxing enough. Lead pipe in my experience is one of the nastiest lead sources there is.
I don't think that you can get the lead clean with just one flux. I flux when I make ingots and when I melt the lead in the bottom pour pot. I still have trouble with contamination.

Yea I think that may be it, if you have the same problem.I guess when you buy srcap you never know till you try @ cast it.

Fly

runfiverun
04-12-2013, 10:08 PM
when I am cleaning my lead up, i flux and stir it to death.
I cherry pick the alloy from the pot and keep on cleaning it.
I also use 2 pots and will shuffle all the dirty alloy to one pot and let it sit for a bit so the gunk can ride the heat thermals to the top.

with my ww alloy I will even do a later run of mixing the separate batches and cleaning it again.
I rarely flux in or clean my casting pots.

mrblue
04-12-2013, 10:28 PM
Welcome to the forum

waksupi
04-13-2013, 02:33 AM
Yeah Fly, welcome! [smilie=s:

Blammer
04-13-2013, 03:32 PM

sounds like a high quality problem to have. :)

jonp
04-13-2013, 04:26 PM
You need to send me all of that nasty lead, it will never work for you. :)

Welcome aboard.