PDA

View Full Version : First attempt at casting

chirodr1
04-12-2013, 01:50 PM
I did a lot of reading before attempting to cast any boolits. Thanks to the wealth of knowledge on this site I thought it was pretty straight forward. I had a few wrinkled boolits to start (did not warm the mold first) after that I was producing pretty good boolits

I traded a friend out of some molds including a Lyman 450 sizer, and Lyman dies: 311359 30 carbine 115gr., 350319 351 winchester (which I will never use), 356402 9mm 121gr., 358156 357 155gr, 358495 357 wadcutter, 375 .36 rem. ball (which I will never use unless I procure a slingshot), 429244 44mag 235gr., and a 452374 45 ACP 230gr. They came with various top punches and sizing dies.

I bought a new Lee Pro V bottom pour melting pot and have some leakage like everyone else it seems. I wish I would have researched that a little bit more.

I happened into my local recycler one day and to my suprise there were ingots already smelted and formed in a Lyman ingot mold, and there were some already cast 45 ACP and 357 bullets. I got some of each for a total of #107.
Wish I would have bought a whole lot more at $.80 per pound but was not sure at that point about casting.

You all have turned me into "Cast Boolit Monster". Thanks! I can't seem to get enough lead but fortunately through my neighbor I have secured a steady source for wheel weights.

I will post some Boolit pictures as soon a I figure out how to do it.

Smokin7mm
04-12-2013, 02:04 PM
I started almost 30 years ago with a couple of molds and a lyman lubrisizer. This has grown over the years to over 50 molds and 2 additional RCBS lubrisizers and one Star. Three casting pots, lee 10lb bottom pour (my first), a lee 20lb bottom pour and a Lyman 20lb bottom pour. Then I got into swaging also....................well thats another story.

Bret

shadowcaster
04-12-2013, 07:41 PM
Welcome.. Sounds like you have a good start!

You all have turned me into "Cast Boolit Monster". Thanks!

Be forewarned.. The addiction only gets worse! :-)

I bought a new Lee Pro V bottom pour melting pot and have some leakage like everyone else it seems. I wish I would have researched that a little bit more.

With a little adjustment you should be able to get it down to practically no drips. I have 2 of them that I run side by side and they work great. One heats while I pour from the other. That way I always have hot alloy on hand.

Shad

chirodr1
04-12-2013, 09:31 PM
That is what I am afraid of Shad. I think what attracted me is the dialogue is rarely confrontational and everyone is willing to help.

Le Loup Solitaire
04-12-2013, 11:55 PM
As long as you have an active supply of wheelweights you will be ok. I have successfully used straight wheelweight metal for many years in pistol and rifle. If I want(ed) better fillout I add(ed) 1-2% tin. It increases bullet diameter slightly and sometimes that is needed/desireable. Adding tin to WW also makes the bullets harder and this too is sometimes needed especially in rifle if you are moving things at higher velocities. Some folks believe that is also applicable in some pistol calibers. When smelting WW's it is good practice to be on the lookout for zinc contamination as it will make for casting problems ranging from minimal to impossible along with lots of cussing. Keep your metal clean and flux often. Good shooting. LLS