PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 336 receivers.

slips73
04-11-2013, 06:10 PM
Not sure this is the right place to post this, but I was told by someone that marlin starting casting their receivers after 1986, is this true? I can believe it with the current remington stuff, but I have never heard nor seen anything about it until now of them being cast.

anyone have any knowledge on that?

pietro
04-11-2013, 08:56 PM
Not true.

slips73
04-11-2013, 10:04 PM
ok so i talked to the guy again trying to get more info he said this

"I re looked it up its for the marlin 336. From what it said they started fazing them out in 86 but due to stock pile you can find them still milled up until 92."

He said it is from a penn-foster gunsmithing book. Could the book be wrong? I feel that any change in the method of the receivers would result in a change in part dimension as they receiver would have to be built slightly larger and you would be able to see the porous material? I also feel the current market would have let us know about it and their would be a pre-86' just like there is pre-64' winchesters

missionary5155
04-11-2013, 10:31 PM
Good evening
This sure would be news to all the Marlin owners. I have never read nor heard nor seen a rumor of this. As many Winchester tooters that are about would have banged the drum on this till our screens cracked. If this was true there is no way I can imaging a Marlin receiver would take the pressures they do. There would be cracked, split and brew apart receivers in every driveway.
I own the same calibers in both companies and my Marlins will take any load the Winchesters can.
MIke in Peru

slips73
04-11-2013, 10:48 PM
Good evening
This sure would be news to all the Marlin owners. I have never read nor heard nor seen a rumor of this. As many Winchester tooters that are about would have banged the drum on this till our screens cracked. If this was true there is no way I can imaging a Marlin receiver would take the pressures they do. There would be cracked, split and brew apart receivers in every driveway.
I own the same calibers in both companies and my Marlins will take any load the Winchesters can.
MIke in Peru

yah my thoughts exactly I feel it would be everywhere and there would be a whole pre-86' thing, that or if it turns out to be true.....one will start but i highly doubt it is

popper
04-12-2013, 12:01 PM
Most all steel is cast to begin with. Don't see where any casting/machining would be less expensive than cast/forge/machine. Forging takes another machine but is fast. Machining is the $$ process. Another new coke idea? Maybe the numbers are wrong and it's the 39 & 60?

MtGun44
04-12-2013, 12:34 PM
I talked to the President of Marlin about 2003, he said they were still forged.

Sounds like more internet BS, as usual.

Bill

slips73
04-12-2013, 01:40 PM
Yah I got it confirmed over at marlin owners.com that it wasn't true it was just data out of a book and I was skeptical to begin with as usually a composition change results in change in dimension so not true folks, even the remlins are still forged receivers.

I posted over on marlin owners and got this video explains the procces
http://cloudfront-nrapubs.s3.amazonaws.com/2010326151143-ar07marlinfactory.mp4