PDA

View Full Version : Shooting lead out of Glock 26

Muddydogs
04-11-2013, 01:30 PM
I am going to help a freind out and get him loading some target rounds for his 9mm pistols. One is a Ruger and the other a Glock 26. I have read on here a few times that most guys don't have a problem shooting lead out of the factory Glock barrel. Is there anything to watch for desides leading when shooting lead? I plan to try out the Lee .358 105 SWC slugs that drop out of my mold at 108 grains. I will be tumble lubing the bullets and loading with Unique.

I know the manual says don't shoot lead out of the Glock so I don't need this information, I don't follow directions well anyways.:-o

Love Life
04-11-2013, 01:40 PM
Just look for leading. If you have no leading then you are good. It is the lead buildup that could lead to issues. I have shot many thousands of rds of home cast LRN from my Glock 26.

At first I used a RCBS-115-RN boolit. Sized to .3575 and lubed with speed green and had no issues. When I decided to move to a heavier boolit I bought the RCBS 124-RN gas checked boolit to save myself the hassle of reinventing the wheel with the 9mm.

Be careful and enjoy.

Spawn-Inc
04-11-2013, 01:55 PM
I just started shooting 135gr bullets lubed (ben's red) and sized to .357" from a noe mold. I've only shot about 200 using hp38 powder. 4.5gr I believe. I haven't seen much leading, maybe a tiny amount. But I'm still working on a good load for this bullet.

easymoney
04-12-2013, 02:40 PM
I'll put my two-bits in here, but my response will probably be challenged. I've shot lead out of all my Glocks with absolutely no problems. The major concern with Glocks, as well as H&K and a few others, are reloads in general. Any pistol that features a partially unsupported chamber, as do Glocks and H&K's has a potential for ruptured cases when shooting reloads. When a round is fired the case may bulge near the unsupported area causing the brass to be fatigued in that area. When reloaded the weak spot, in essence still exists and in theory could cause the case to rupture when fired. This can be especially concerning when reloading recovered cases in high-pressure rounds such as the 40S&W and 357 SIG. A reloader should be aware of this possible flaw and avoid using fired cases for high pressure reloads, especially when the number of times the brass has been reloaded in unknown. I recommend using salvaged cases for low to medium pressure reloads only. If you must load high-pressure maximum power rounds buy some factory new brass. I've shot hundreds of 9mm, 40S&W and 45ACP lead cast rounds in a single session without any issues. But these were tested prior to ensure proper pistol function, accuracy and that no leading existed and were reloaded near the low to medium power levels. Load mild and shoot the lead.

Love Life
04-12-2013, 02:49 PM
I'll let others take it from here.

You're safe as long as you watch for leading and follow standard reloading techniqes. If you blow the gun up there is a 99% chance it was your fault.

jmort
04-12-2013, 02:58 PM
Why not drop in a Lone Wolf barrel? A lot of people have done a lot of things in direct opposition to the manufacturer's directions/warnings. Most have lived to try another day.

Shiloh
04-12-2013, 07:35 PM
Never had a problem with the 9's. I did withthe .40 though. Aftermarket barrel fixed it.

Shiloh

Centaur 1
04-12-2013, 09:56 PM
My favorite boolit to shoot in my Glock 26 is the Ranch Dog tl358-100-rf that was designed for loading in a .380. I normally keep my reloads pretty sedate, but I've loaded this boolit to over 1300fps and it has yet to lead the barrel.