PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 450 storing between uses

chirodr1
04-11-2013, 11:01 AM
What do you do when you are done lubing your bullets? Do you remove the sizing die between uses or just leave it in the sizer? If you remove the sizing die do you clean the lube off of it and store it? I assume if you are going to use it again in a short time you can leave the lube on it. How long would you leave the lube on it between uses and not clean the sizing die?

Assuming you remove the sizing die from the luberasizer do you have to do anything storage wise with the lube that is still in the sizer?

Thanks from a new guy!

This site is a wealth of knowledge. Thanks to all who share it.

John Allen
04-11-2013, 11:19 AM
I have for years just left the sizing die in the sizer. If I need to change it to another size I just hit it with a heat gun and it pops out.

454PB
04-11-2013, 11:29 AM
I leave it alone, the lube prevents rust and doesn't congeal. I store my extra sizing dies in a plastic sewing box that has room for 24 dies to keep them dust free, but leave the lube on them.

Iowa Fox
04-11-2013, 12:15 PM
I leave the dies in the lubesizers. For the ones that are out I wrap them in a small piece of cling wrap, then store them in a plastic storage box from harbor freight. I always keeps the factory tubes in the storage box in case I want to clean up the dies and return them to their original tubes. The plastic box from harbor freight has two layers of just the right size compartments for the dies.

Mk42gunner
04-11-2013, 12:32 PM
I leave the last sizing die in the sizer and back off the pressure on the lube.

I store unused dies in an MTM 12 ga plastic box, with the lube wiped off just enough to read the size. Top punches also go in the 12 ga box.

Robert

Hardcast416taylor
04-11-2013, 12:51 PM
I leave things as I finish a batch of boolets till the next time I may have to change the sizer and top punch. I leave the lube on the sizer after removing it, I store them in a fishing lure compartmented flat plastic box that has single compartments that I labeled as to sizes. Cleaning off the lube, is to me, a waste of good lube on a rag you probably toss away. As the old saying goes "if it ain`t hurting you - leave it alone"!Robert

chirodr1
04-11-2013, 05:00 PM
Thank you to everyone who responded. I thought it should be left in the Lyman 450. I received the 450 with lube in that had been stored for over 10 years and I don't really want to have to go through the cleaning of that hardened lube again. First I used a heat gun with very little success. I ended up boiling in a coffee can on the barbeque which removed alot of the lube but ended up with having to pry a bunch out with a screwdriver. Not a lot of fun.

GP100man
04-12-2013, 09:30 PM
Do yaself a favor & cut a peice of 1/2" pvc pipe 3/4" long & slip over the pressure screw .

This keeps the pressure plunger from runnin off the threads of the screw when the loobe gets low.

Don`t know which toggle system ya have but there`s a kit to replace the older style , much more dureable & the stroke seems shorter.

http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/xx110/GP100man/102_0564-1.jpg (http://s746.photobucket.com/user/GP100man/media/102_0564-1.jpg.html)