PDA

View Full Version : Really hot weather lube

Marlin Junky
08-29-2007, 08:51 PM
Is there anyway to get a lube to hold up in weather that's over 100F and still have no leading beyond 2000 fps?

MJ

Buckshot
08-30-2007, 01:40 AM
..............What lube are you using now that is causing an issue? Most any of the high temp lubes should work as you have to heat them up pretty well to get them to flow.

...........Buckshot

Marlin Junky
08-30-2007, 03:25 AM
I'm using a variation of Felix lube that doesn't contain any paraffin and I heated up the H-R 35 Whelen pretty good today firing 10 shot strings pretty much as fast I could load and aim. Groups opened up as the gun heated up and lead was deposited near the muzzle. Load was 49 grains of H380 behind a 260 grain boolit with a hardness of about 15 to 16. Maybe the lube is too soft.

MJ

arkypete
08-30-2007, 08:31 AM
Marlin
It gets a bit toasty and wet here in Virginia, on occasion.
I've had good results with Rooster Red and LBT Blue, year round.
Jim

Slowpoke
08-30-2007, 09:59 PM
I will second the LBT Blue for hot weather, when I lived in S AZ that's all I used in rifles, a lot of the time the barrel would be to hot to hold before you fired the first shot.

good luck

Marlin Junky
08-30-2007, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the suggestions and I'm sure LBT Blue is good stuff but I've got 50 some pounds of beeswax and I need to make the lube from scratch.

MJ

Bass Ackward
08-31-2007, 05:47 AM
Then just make Felix lube and sweeten the mix.

Lloyd Smale
08-31-2007, 05:53 AM
if you shoot fast like that your barrel is going to get very hot even in the winter. I doubt the 100 degree temps are going to make that much of a differnce. Ive had good luck with felix lube (as good of luck as any lube) at about any temp. If im loading ammo for a lever gun thats going to be shot like that i like to use a gas checked bullet. Or at least run a couple jacketed bullet through it after ever 50 of so shots. Or slow down and let the gun cool. Bring a couple lever guns with you and rotate shooting them.

BD
08-31-2007, 07:38 AM
The standard Felix lube recipe with the red carnuba wax from a Maker's Mark bottle has always worked for me. Even here in the stinkin' hot low country.
BD

jhalcott
08-31-2007, 10:28 AM
Has any one tried the Carnuba wax that comes with the Moly coating kits? It is granulated like cream of wheat or Farina. A teaspoon full can be easily measured.
I tried the Moly with so-so results and still have most of a cup of the wax on hand. I can not drink and Makers mark is NOT a well known brand here.

Marlin Junky
08-31-2007, 05:13 PM
I'm not firing a machine gun here... it was 106F'n degrees on that particular day. I fired a 10 round string waited a couple minutes and fired a 5 round string, went 75 yards down range to post two new targets and by the time I got back the barrel was still hotter than my 30-30 ever gets during a LAS match in the winter/spring when we fire 5 rounds in 2 minutes.

Bass,
What do you mean by sweeten it? Make it harder?

MJ

shotstring
09-01-2007, 02:49 AM
I've heard of people mixing SPG Blackpowder lube to their beeswax and paraffin mix along with a host of different ingredients and getting good results at high speed. Haven't tried it yet though, and that SPG is so darn expensive to use as a component. Personally, I have always wondered about adding "Slick 50" to a lube to see what it does. Had a friend that put Slick 50 in his 2 year old Jaguar, ran it for 15 minutes, then drained all the oil from the vehicle and drove it over 50 miles for a test and had no problems of any kind.
Always made me wonder what it might do as a bullet lube.

Lloyd Smale
09-01-2007, 05:13 AM
your friend needs his head examined!! Anyone that would drive a 2 year old jag with no oil in it is either nuts or has more money then brains.
I've heard of people mixing SPG Blackpowder lube to their beeswax and paraffin mix along with a host of different ingredients and getting good results at high speed. Haven't tried it yet though, and that SPG is so darn expensive to use as a component. Personally, I have always wondered about adding "Slick 50" to a lube to see what it does. Had a friend that put Slick 50 in his 2 year old Jaguar, ran it for 15 minutes, then drained all the oil from the vehicle and drove it over 50 miles for a test and had no problems of any kind.
Always made me wonder what it might do as a bullet lube.

BigSlick
09-01-2007, 08:01 AM
I put some Sick 50 in my lawn mower since it's all I had on hand when I rebuilt it. Only one ring, so it took all of 10 minutes (if that) to heat up enough to seat properly.

Sick 50 made the exhaust stink to high heaven and it smoked like crazy. I went to the hardware store and got some dino oil and drained the Sick 50 and refilled with 30wt.

That was in 1995.

It finally quit smoking at startup about two years ago, and no it wasn't running rich, different kind of smoke.

My lawn mower ain't a Jag (Tecumseh engine Yazoo) but I still wouldn't run it without oil, nor would I add th stuff to it again.

Bullet lube ? Prolly not, since the hype on TV claims it bonds with metal to provide the super slippery surface and reduce friction.

Not sure if I want anything bonding with anything in my irons.
________
Vape Vaporizer (http://www.vaporshop.com)