PDA

View Full Version : Smelting Question

Mark1174
04-10-2013, 02:05 PM
Will a Weber Genesis Gas Grill generate enough heat for occasional lead smelting (wheelweights, scrounged shooting range bullets)?

Cmemiss
04-10-2013, 02:17 PM
I'm not an expert, but IMHO I think it would depend on the size pot you are using. At some point a large pot would give up too much heat to be considered. I would guesstimate that 20 or so lbs. might be a limit, but there are so many variables to consider it is like the question how long is a ball of string. Maybe someone with more thermal engineering can give you a better answer.

Sensai
04-10-2013, 03:01 PM
I'm not familiar with the Weber Genesis, but be very careful of the stability. An unstable platform under twenty or thirty pounds of molten lead is not such a good thing! The tried and true turkey fryers aren't expensive.

MBfrontier
04-10-2013, 06:24 PM
I purchased a Weber Genesis last year and find it a great grill for cooking outdoors. However, I would never try to smelt lead with it. The heat is indirect to the grate. In addition, I tend to keep my smelting equipment away from my food.

I think you would be wise to acquire a burner from a turkey frier or some other direct propane heat device for your smelting. There's plenty of info on this site that should get you started effectively. Good luck and have fun.

runfiverun
04-10-2013, 10:32 PM
35-k btu minimum is the number I come up with for melting alloy some time back.
more is better.

CATTLEMAN
04-13-2013, 05:25 AM
I bbq'd last night and the thermometer on the hood read well over 800 degrees on a medium sized propane grill with the burners set on low for about an hour. I have no idea if it was an accurate temp but if it is it should be enough to melt lead.

BUT I would not lead around my food or that high off the ground on a light weight structure. If it spilled or splashed it could make for a bad case of hot foot or worse.

I had welding slag burn through the top of my shoe in seconds one time, not an experience I want to repeat! Luckily it was a small drop and just taught me an important lesson without major injury.

Mark1174
04-14-2013, 06:05 PM
OK thanks, I appreciate the response. Will hunt for a turkey fryer.