PDA

View Full Version : Lost my wee buddy today.

JeffinNZ
04-10-2013, 03:53 AM
Today we had to have Griffin the cat 'put to sleep'. Best we could work out he was 12-13 years old and Sheryl took him in as a stray. He was the most wonderful little companion, always good with the girls, always keen for a cuddle, never far away. It has broken all of our hearts but his lungs were not in good shape and he was labouring to breathe.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/JeffinNZ/Other%20stuff/DSCN3399.jpg

It never gets any easier but comes with the territory of having a pet.

Rest in peace wee buddy.

square butte
04-10-2013, 05:21 AM
I remember what it was like the last time we lost our cat. So sorry for your loss. It took us a year or so before we were able to have another. He found us really. And yes, I suspect we would feel the same way about losing "Jimmy". Hope you get by your loss soon - and another one finds you and family.

Pb2au
04-10-2013, 05:31 AM
Sorry Jeff. It is never easy. Our veterinarian ( and very good friend) told us once that putting your pet to sleep is the final act of love you do for your old friend when they are hurting.
But fear not Jeff, another will arrive at your doorstep.

btroj
04-10-2013, 05:48 AM
Sad to hear that Jeff. Losing a pet is never easy. Our old cat Cleo is currently buried out back.
How did the girls handle it?

Charlie Two Tracks
04-10-2013, 06:32 AM
Sorry Jeff. It never is easy but pets sure are fun to have around.

x101airborne
04-10-2013, 07:16 AM
Dang, Jeff. That is sad to hear. Sorry for your loss.
My Maddie girl is going deaf quickly and has just suddenly lost a lot of spunk. She is a 11 year old Heeler and I know what is coming. I will pray for you and your pet.

Doc Highwall
04-10-2013, 08:31 AM
Sorry to hear that Jeff! The wife and I still have three cats, one died (Goofy) when he was 14 years old, and now Jason and Jasmine just turned 14 years old on January 10th. and it is on the back of our minds on how long they will be with us. Precious is the baby of the family at about 8 years old.

It is never easy losing one of the fur kids.

theperfessor
04-10-2013, 08:58 AM
Sorry to hear of your loss.

Lost one in August last year and I still think about her and cry like a sissy girl sometimes. She was just so sweet.

David2011
04-10-2013, 10:28 AM
Sorry to hear this Jeff. Fortunately, after the initial grief fades a little, the good memories will come and last a lifetime.

David

popper
04-10-2013, 10:51 AM
Isn't it surprising how these 'pets' get into our hearts? Still call Syd 'Murf' every once in a while, who we lost last Thanksgiving. 3 stray cats & on the 4th dog now, remember them all well.

smokeywolf
04-10-2013, 12:26 PM
Jeff, I'm so very sorry for your loss. It's pretty obvious by your post that no one else could have given Griffin a more loving and caring home.

Condolences,

smokeywolf

Firebricker
04-10-2013, 12:43 PM
Sorry for your loss Jeff. They are easier to get attached to then most people would think. The one cat in our house that's "my cat" my daughter found as a kitten outside. I was going out of town for a week and told here that cat better be gone when I got home two years later guess who's still here LOL. FB

MtGun44
04-10-2013, 05:39 PM
Oh, Jeff. Now you got me all misty eyed. Very sorry for your loss.

We had to put down our 20 yr old cat many years ago and I still have a hard time when
I think of it. We lost our current cat for 3 weeks over 1000 miles from home,
yet a kind person found him and called us and we drove back to get him.

They make a place in your heart. Hope the kids are taking it OK.

Bill

JeffinNZ
04-10-2013, 06:12 PM
How did the girls handle it?

Lots of tears but we knew the day was coming so a couple of weeks ago we talked to them about it. He adored the girls and would sleep on their beds.

Because it was already dark by the time we got Griffin home again last evening we will bury him this evening. He lay 'in state' in the living room over night and Bella dog sleep beside him. Griffin tolerated Bella and was always the boss. Animals know more than we think I believe.

Thanks for the warm thoughts. He had a much better life than he could have being a stray that was taken in and I will miss him dearly. [getting misty]

scottiemom
04-10-2013, 06:43 PM
so sorry Jeff- it is never easy and they always take a piece of your heart with them. one day, when you are ready, another one will find you.

6.5 mike
04-10-2013, 07:31 PM
Know how hard that is. Lost my "buddy" 2 years ago this week, little black & white shelter manx. Not a day goes by I don't think about her.

Blacksmith
04-10-2013, 07:39 PM
Jeff

I know how you all feel and my heart goes out to each of you.

This may help:

RAINBOW BRIDGE

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance.
His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge...together...

Author unknown...

opos
04-10-2013, 07:49 PM
Some years we sent our little girl cat "Fido" to the place good cats go when they die. The vet told me something that really eased my pain (and the pain was huge)..he said that our pets love us so unconditionally that they would never have any thought about having us put down if we were suffering..they would just care that much. People grieve for themselves when they lose a pet...he said it would be wonderful if pet owners were able to be so loving that they can do what then need to do without upset...but we are human and human's are flawed...I like to think Fido would have sent me along the way as an act of pure love. We waited a while (probably a mistake) and now have 3 of the meanest, most active, big "neutered" yellow Toms you can imagine....we absolutly love them...not the same as Fido...she was her own personality but with the different love...it's still huge love and those 3 big old dirt bags really love us in return...You'll get the chance to share being staff (cat's don't have owners....they have staff) for a new cat or cats...lots of them need a caring home.

Fido is the one that's the sort of fat calico...the yellow cats are the other 3...all ferals all "tamed" and all neutered. No new furniture for now.

They are all in the 7-9 year range now...we've had our share of scares with sickness, etc but nothing a few hundred (many hundred) didn't fix and the first time they look at you and purr after they have been sick and get well...money just doesn't seem important..yep, we are cat people...

we wish you a gentle time of mourning for you departed friend and know you will share you caring home again.

shdwlkr
04-10-2013, 07:55 PM
Jeff
A little over a year ago I lost one of my cats, she was 20 years old and had been with me most of her life, came in as a stray by one of kids that almost hit her on the road. She was the best cat, always knew when I needed some attention and always slept with me. Now I have another cat to replace her and she was a rescued cat and it took most of the last year for her to accept the other cat and my small dog.
Pets are the best in this life they always want to be around you, never judge you and always make you feel better after you give them the attention they desire. ha ha
Sorry you had to deal with losing your cat that way. I had to put my Cassie down and she was still purring as we put her to sleep, I was unable to bring her home as I live in a rental so all I have is the memories of Cassie.

geargnasher
04-10-2013, 08:06 PM
I'm sorry, Jeff. He'll be back soon enough, though, although he might be a she or a different color. Good kitties are just that way.

Gear

Gliden07
04-10-2013, 08:10 PM
Sorry for your loss... Its never easy to loose a pet. I still miss my Chocolate Lab Brutis and its been 5 years! But, everytime I bring up his name it brings a smile to my face and GREAT memories!!

Nickle
04-10-2013, 08:17 PM
Sorry for your loss. I know the pain and the void they leave. Lost my little furry buddy a couple of months ago. He got sick and we just didn't catch it in time. His little heart gave out. I still miss him, and the dog does too.

dragonrider
04-10-2013, 08:29 PM
Sorry to hear that Jeff. Gonna be there soon myself, our cat snickers is closing in on 23 years and is failing. He had the feline equivalent of a heart attack a couple of weeks ago, took him to the vet and she said he has a real bad heart, could die at any time. He's been stone deaf for about 5 years and he sleeps 23 of 24 hrs. But for now he is happy, comfortable and well fed.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/PaulGauthier/IMAG0353_zps3769c074.jpg

Dale in Louisiana
04-10-2013, 09:19 PM
Sad to hear of your loss. Just because they're small and furry doesn't meant we love them any less.

I had to get my newest one off my arm so I could type this.

Dale in Louisiana
(Staff to seven cats)

JWFilips
04-10-2013, 09:24 PM
Kitties are my passion and love, Yeah we are the sensitive guys... I feel really bad for your loss. I have been thru it many times in my life! My joy comes "in dreams" when I get to see and play with them again....they are always near to you... I guess it is just a way of them letting you know they are ok and they still love you!
Dream well my friend !

Trey45
04-10-2013, 09:45 PM
Really sorry for your loss. I know how you're feeling. Cats are good people. Over the years I've had many pets put to sleep, the hardest one to get over was a cat named Butch. http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y243/SimonLegree/Personal/P7050002.jpg
A stray that had FIV, he was 18 when he was put to sleep. When I was in bed recovering from multiple surgeries in 2000 and 2001 that cat never left my side. Spend a good portion of a year in bed recovering and trying to walk right again you tend to get attached to things, and this thing for me was a cat.

Larry D.
04-10-2013, 11:28 PM
I'm sorry for your loss.
As others have said, in time, another one will steal your heart .

NVcurmudgeon
04-11-2013, 03:17 AM
Jeff and family, believe us we feel your pain. We still miss Bo, a fifteen year old Cockapoo, and it's been six years since he left us. As Mr. Kipling so ably put it, "give your heart to a new dog to tear." Good thing for us all that each pet is unique and makes its own special contribution in our lives; we are the richer for it.
Now we have two middle-aged dogs and are sharing the joy they bring us.