PDA

View Full Version : Leaving California

BLTsandwedge
04-09-2013, 08:29 PM
Originally from Eastern PA, we spent four years in Seattle and then the next 16 years in California.....now it is time to head back east. Purely by coincidence my wife accepted a position just north of Philadelphia. I'll miss California- the kinship I have with all the other CA members here. I wish I had the time to shoot with all of you. The friends I made at Laguna Seca who are also members here...well, lets just say it'll be tough to leave.

On the bright side, I'm leaving California. Just by doing this, our standard of living will grow substantially. State income taxes alone will give us a giant plus, not to mention that housing in PA is about 1/3 the cost of California. And the brightest spot- real gun shows to go to. Real gun stores to haunt. Gun auctions. Instant background checks instead of mandatory 10-day waiting periods. Much less expensive firearm and shooting equipment prices- not to mention the availability of older firearms- and no CA DOJ to dictate what gun is acceptable to bring into the state and what gun is rejected. All that and a longstanding respect for the tradition of hunting. None of this applies to Philadelphia of course, but we won't be living in the city- just commuting there.

But it'll still be tough to leave California......

Love Life
04-09-2013, 09:38 PM
California is my favorite state. It is absolutely stunning from North to South and East to West. I feel where you are coming from. I have lived in California a couple times in my lifetime, and I would live there now if the taxes were lower.

I hope you enjoy your new home very much.

MT Gianni
04-09-2013, 10:42 PM
There is a lot of beauty in both places, best of luck to you.

waksupi
04-09-2013, 11:06 PM
Congratulations on the move. A timely "bug out"!

BW64
04-09-2013, 11:34 PM
Good luck to you. Grew up in Pa. just north of Wilkes Barre. Lots of hunting spots between there & Philly!!

BW

runfiverun
04-10-2013, 12:50 AM
http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/H-1655/Grounds-Maintenance/Deluxe-Snow-Shovel-51-Poly?pricode=WU336&gadtype=pla&gclid=CPqGwpemv7YCFaF7QgodGmIAhg

this is what they look like. :lol:

WRideout
04-10-2013, 06:08 AM
This move would make you a real Pennsylvanian. I am a California expat, who moved to SW PA for employment; who would have thought. Since I have been here, I have heard great numbers of people who have lived in another state, then moved back. Usually to a house their grandparents lived in. They generally always say they will never leave.

I like it here. The people are very genuine, and I enjoy the change of seasons. Those palm trees don't change color in the fall.

Wayne

Ajax
04-10-2013, 06:48 AM
I am a native born Texan and have been living in SWPA for the last 3 years. Absolutely love it here. Right now we live in Pittsburgh and i even like it very friendly people and good home values. That being said it aint Texas but as soon as we can we are moving out of the city and i expect it will get better.

Andy

captaint
04-10-2013, 07:12 AM
BLT - So fire me a PM. We'll go shootin at Bucks County. Welcome back. Mike

04-10-2013, 10:14 AM
PM sent.

dkf
04-10-2013, 03:32 PM
Well welcome back to PA. Hot here today, 90 degrees. I am melting.:cry:

Baja_Traveler
04-10-2013, 04:07 PM
And don't forget the third highest gas taxes in the country...

Still - as expensive as it is to live here, I think it's worth it when I look at the weather reports 10 months out of the year. I don't think I could handle the winters and the humidity of the east coast...

Rick N Bama
04-10-2013, 04:42 PM
http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/H-1655/Grounds-Maintenance/Deluxe-Snow-Shovel-51-Poly?pricode=WU336&gadtype=pla&gclid=CPqGwpemv7YCFaF7QgodGmIAhg

What's that thing used for:)

John Allen
04-10-2013, 04:53 PM
Welcome Back, I am in Collegeville, PA there are some good gun shops in the area once you get settled let us other PA folks know and I am sure we can point you in the right direction.

MtGun44
04-10-2013, 05:30 PM
Born in CA, and still have lifelong friends there and like to visit. Not a
chance I would even consider living there any more.

Welcome back to the free world.

Bill

BLTsandwedge
04-10-2013, 08:11 PM

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo....................... ...............

BLTsandwedge
04-10-2013, 08:25 PM
Thanks gents- I'm blown away by your well-wishes. Thank you all. For those of you in PA- I will be in touch in about three months. PA is a much smaller state than CA- you can drive from Philadelphia to Pittsburg in about 4 1/2 hours- that's sometimes a job commute in CA. I'm especially looking forward to re-connecting with ancestral communities such as Welllsboro in Tioga county. In the early '70s I used to strap my Remington single shot .22 to my bike and ride through town to the Charleston dump. I'd shoot rats for 5 or 6 hours and go back home. On the way to or from, I'd stop by the five-and-dime with the 75 cents I earned mowing lawns and buy a box of Wildcat .22s and an Orange Crush. If I was flush, I'd buy CCI stingers- because they'd make the rats burst apart. I think that's when stingers first came out on the market. Those days are long gone but some of my childhood friends are still around.

First priority is to find a house to buy, then work on a job. I've got a great network established throughout the country. I hope I can lean on those folks to find the jobs that aren't advertised (generally meant for inside-hires). With 25+ years in the job I hope I'm still marketable.......my only worry about the move. But then again, the wife's position could keep us going indefinitely without me doing anything. I couldn't do that; I'd a) go batpoop crazy and b) never hear the end of it from SWMBO.

Thanks again gents- as many have said before, you all have given this board its culture and personality. Both of these traits are quality- thanks to each of you. See you in PA!

Bullet Caster
04-10-2013, 08:37 PM
I can't say welcome to PA, 'cause I live in eastern TN. However, I do wish you all the best with the move. Now you won't have the libatards telling what firearm you can have or cannot have. Hopefully you will find meaningful employment. My prayers go out for your safe journey. BC

Lance Boyle
04-10-2013, 08:44 PM
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo....................... ...............

Aw, don't feel bad, you can pick up a fashionable winter coat too.

Good luck on the move. I'm to your north and am making plans to go to a free state myself. I almost took a transfer to a NY county on your border.

ETA- Go Steelers![smilie=s:

quilbilly
04-11-2013, 12:27 AM
The wife and I were born and raised in Southern California in a different era. We both agree, the best view of California is in your rear view mirror.
Good luck on your move!

southpaw
04-11-2013, 03:26 PM
Welcome back! I am between scranton and wilkes barre. If you are get bored and want to go for a drive and do some shooting let me know.

Jerry Jr.

2muchstuf
04-11-2013, 03:51 PM
Welcome home.

BLTsandwedge
04-11-2013, 06:06 PM
Again many thanks gents! Southpaw- you're on. You live in some outstanding hunting terrain. I do appreciate the well wishes gents- I really do. Philadelphia is a big town and I've learned over the last few days that I actually do have beaucoup contacts there that have either relocated into PA or have been there for the past 20 years. Very cool. The nice thing is that I've got a bit of time- time to find the shooting ranges, find lead sources and then worry about buying a house and getting work. One must have priorities!

Mal Paso
04-12-2013, 12:52 AM
BLT and I have held down benches 17-19 at the Laguna Seca Range most every Saturday for the last 4 years. He is the one that got me started casting and pointed me to Cast Boolits. That was at least 40,000 Boolits ago......... I developed most of my shooting skills during that time along side him.

You're getting a great guy! If you hear him cursing, don't worry, it's just a flyer. I don't think it's an ego thing, he just considers it a poor investment. :grin:.

cbrick
04-12-2013, 08:13 AM
It's been just over a year now since I escaped from CA and I've not questioned the move even once in that time. I do miss the range in CA and several of the people there but a great shooting range wasn't worth putting up with all the rest.

It's great living in America again, the differences will probably amaze you. Let us know how the move goes.

Rick

H.Callahan
04-12-2013, 02:50 PM
California is a wonderful place to visit. ...and an even better place to be from.

Congrats on your escape!