PDA

View Full Version : Garbage disposal leaking.

wallenba
04-09-2013, 05:15 PM
After many years of no problems, my garbage disposal unit is leaking from the very bottom. Is this likely to be fixable? Or should I just save the aggravation and mess and replace it? It's an Insinkerator if that helps. Thanks.

dkf
04-09-2013, 05:32 PM
If it is leaking from the bottom and not at the drain on the side of the unit the internal grind chamber housing could be cracked or or rusted through. Construction of the unit depends on what model you have as the lower end disposals use a lot of galv steel. I bought my parents a new one for Xmas and installed it for them. The old unit must have been at least 20 years old.

WDS
04-09-2013, 05:46 PM
You probably have a "Badger 5" model since there are more of them on the planet than all others combined. The good news is replacement is simplified if you buy another Insinkerator brand unit. The bayonet mount attached to the collar in the sink only needs about a quarter turn to remove the disposal and reconnect a replacement. Be sure to replace the washers on the metal drain lines or compression sleeve if your drain lines are plastic.

shooter93
04-09-2013, 05:46 PM
Get a new one unless you're in dire straits. Any repair will most likely be temporary anyway.

Sweetpea
04-09-2013, 06:08 PM
Get a new one.

Ten minutes and you're done.

gwpercle
04-09-2013, 06:25 PM
If you have a garbage disposal like mine , leaks aren't a problem. Ours is a mixed breed Blue- Tick and Beagle hound that will eat everything except mushrooms. He will consume a whole plate of spaghetti and meat balls and leave evry single mushroom, licked clean, on the plate. He'll eat anything else and will hunt deer, hogs, squirrels and ( his favorite ) rabbits . He thinks he's one of the kids and the household disposer of any and all leftover's.

Replace the disposal, nothing is made to be repaired anymore...better yet get a dog.

04-09-2013, 08:22 PM
If you buy a new one, select one with at least a 3/4 h.p. rating. A stainless steel grinding chamber is a plus, too.

GaryN
04-09-2013, 08:38 PM
Buy a new one. I just went through the same thing. It rusted through.

Spawn-Inc
04-09-2013, 08:41 PM
check to see where it's actually leaking, and repair/replace accordingly.

Chihuahua Floyd
04-09-2013, 08:45 PM
My recommendation is take it out and leave it out.
As a civil engineer who had done a little wastewater treatment plant work, the wwtp is not designed for that type of solids. sewer lines are not either. Never had one, ever will. I have three dogs, OK, two and a half dogs, compost pile and a trash can.
Just my $0.02, ymmv.
CF

wallenba
04-10-2013, 11:28 AM
I took it out last night. The seal at the bottom, I guess at the shaft, seems to have failed. I'm going to Home Depot to get a replacement, not worth trying to fix. Who knows what kind of germs are in that thing. I'm not opening it up.

tinsnips
04-10-2013, 09:39 PM
Just buy a new Insinkarator brand disposal, the more you pay the quieter and more powerful it will be. I have been selling them for years in my option they are the best.

wallenba
04-10-2013, 11:40 PM
Just buy a new Insinkarator brand disposal, the more you pay the quieter and more powerful it will be. I have been selling them for years in my option they are the best.

Got a new one this morning, and installed it this afternoon. I stuck with the same 1/2 HP type unit. I didn't want to have to re-plumb things if a bigger one differed in any way.

Shiloh
04-11-2013, 10:36 AM
After many years of no problems, my garbage disposal unit is leaking from the very bottom. Is this likely to be fixable? Or should I just save the aggravation and mess and replace it? It's an Insinkerator if that helps. Thanks.

It will probably be better off to replace it. When mine did the same thing, that was the recommendation of the builder/remodeler I use.
Mine was about 12 old when It went south. JUst like bathroom vent fans, the more you spend, the quieter and better built it'll be.

Shiloh

km101
04-11-2013, 12:42 PM
If you have a garbage disposal like mine , leaks aren't a problem. Ours is a mixed breed Blue- Tick and Beagle hound that will eat everything except mushrooms. He will consume a whole plate of spaghetti and meat balls and leave evry single mushroom, licked clean, on the plate. He'll eat anything else and will hunt deer, hogs, squirrels and ( his favorite ) rabbits . He thinks he's one of the kids and the household disposer of any and all leftover's.

Replace the disposal, nothing is made to be repaired anymore...better yet get a dog.

I have one of those disposals! Mine is a cat. He will even eat mushrooms, and asparagus if he can get it! He is almost 21 years old, and the only thing I have found that he wont eat is fruit.

And you are right - replace, don't try to repair. Its not worth the hassle. You are just going to have to do it again in a couple of years.

Silver Eagle
04-11-2013, 05:01 PM
Replace it. Have read that if you feed them a pile of ice cubes now and then it helps clean them out.

tinsnips
04-11-2013, 09:06 PM
1/2 HP one will work just fine.

Driver man
04-12-2013, 03:43 AM
Put chicken bones thru it occasionally, that will help keep the grinding chamber clean.

Duckiller
04-12-2013, 09:34 PM
Don't know what sort of sewer lines and water treatment plant they have in North Carolina but most systems are designed for houses to have garbage disposals. Outflow of garbage disposals' particals are smaller than outflow of toilet particals. Just use lots of water to keep everything flowing. I too am a Civil Engineer with a number and everything so I have to be polite. Get a new disposal. I have upgraded mine over the years. As I recall outflow points are all at the same elevation with Incinerators. If not use PVC pipe to get to the trap. Connector at sink are all the same.

wallenba
04-13-2013, 01:01 PM
. As I recall outflow points are all at the same elevation with Incinerators. If not use PVC pipe to get to the trap. Connector at sink are all the same.

Good to know for future installs. Wish I knew that before buying.