PDA

View Full Version : Reloading for the Glock Semi Auto

smokeater
04-09-2013, 09:50 AM
Having just purchased a Glock for my wife and with all the shortages of factory ammo, I want to reload for it (9mm) but some say not to reload for a Glock as they have an "unsupported chamber". I am not entirely new to reloading but I am as far a semi auto is concerned, but if the firearm is safe with factory rounds why would it not be safe with reloaded ammo of equal or less velocity/pressure? I do not want to expose my wife to any danger, I just don't understand the no reloading for a Glock. BTW, I would be using the J word because I haven't gotten around to getting a mold for casting that caliber. I cast for all my other guns (bolt guns/single/double actions),what info or guidance can someone give me on this subject.

Firebricker
04-09-2013, 10:06 AM
To reuse your brass you will probably need a bulge buster die to remove the bulge from the unsupported chamber. As far as using cast in a Glock barrel you will have to do some research here and get responses from the Glock guy's. Some people use after market barrels and I believe some use the factory barrel just fine but I have no experience with Glocks myself. What I can tell you is other than a bulge die you shouldn't need anything special to get started. Good luck and welcome to CB. FB

Shiloh
04-09-2013, 10:26 AM
Never had an issue with a Glock 17 9mm. Have had major issues with a Glock 22. I have no need for a Bulge buster for the 9mm either.
Once fire range brass from Glock 40's is run through a LEE carbide crimp die.

SHiloh

Shiloh
04-09-2013, 10:31 AM
[QUOTE=smokeater;2161021 but if the firearm is safe with factory rounds why would it not be safe with reloaded ammo of equal or less velocity/pressure?

I do not want to expose my wife to any danger, I just don't understand the no reloading for a Glock. BTW, I would be using the J word because I haven't gotten around to getting a mold for casting that caliber. I cast for all my other guns (bolt guns/single/double actions),what info or guidance can someone give me on this subject.[/QUOTE]

Safe and sane reloads are fine. The first boxes of ammo through the Glock were factory rounds. Been all reloads, cast and jacketed since. Many many thousands of rounds of reloads.

Most manufacturers don't recommend reloads. I think it is a liability/warranty thing.

Shiloh

Westwindmike
04-09-2013, 11:12 AM
I've been loading for the Glock 19 for years. Have shot many reloads, mostly cast, with no problems. No bulge either.

smokeater
04-09-2013, 11:20 AM
Thanks guys. I think the key word with a Glock is the same as with all guns, keep your reloads within the parameters of a reliable reloading manual. I was just perplexed on the "unsupported chamber" thing what with never reloading for a semi auto. At some point I would like to go with an after market barrel with traditional riflings so that we can shoot cast boolits. Just a piece of the mind thing for me since it is my wife shooting it. Again, thanks for your experience and knowledge.

HATCH
04-09-2013, 11:30 AM
on the glock its about the load you use mostly that affects the bulge.
I sorted over 4K pieces of 40 sw brass last night. I picked out all the Glock fired brass. You can tell because there is a rectangle mark on the firing pin around the dent.
Not all peices of brass had a bulge but I noticed the nickle plated ones (those are normally the "defense loads") did have a bulge and about 1 out of 10 of the brass ones did have a minor bulge. Not as pronounced as the nickle plated stuff.

I purchased a lone wolf barrel for my g-23. Its $100 and to me its worth the time saved in running it thru a bulge buster.