PDA

View Full Version : .357 MAG- load check

falootin
04-09-2013, 07:52 AM
Sometimes its just hard to find a powder charge for the cast boolit you are wanting to load. I'm looking for a very stout magnum load for hunting.
I'm using a 0.358" 165 grain cast from an RCBS 158SWC mould gaschecked.
I want to use 2400, typical standard cci primer. I'm thinking 14.4 grains of 2400. I know its stout but it should be safe. Alliant's website gives 14.5 grains with a jacketed 170 gr.
I'm shooting a Ruger GP100 (KGP-141 to be exact).
I'd like to hear your thoughts.
Thanks!

captaint
04-09-2013, 08:41 AM
falootin - Sounds safe enough. I would, however, recommend you get a good handloading manual, like the latest Speer, or even an older one. I have an old #9 at home and I still refer to it all the time. It's getting pretty beat up !! But that's OK, that is what it's for..
As with any internet loading data, you load your ammo and take your chances. There are numerous good loading manuals for not that much money from Lee, Lyman, Speer. I have a copy of Ken Waters Pet Loads that I find indespensible. Get a lot of good loads from that one. Mike

falootin
04-09-2013, 08:56 AM
Thanks captaint.
I do have two manuals, both Lyman. The most recent one I have is the Lyman handgun manual but still doesn't list the bullet I'm loading. From most comparisons I can come up with, 14.4 grains is somewhat near max but still safe.

runfiverun
04-09-2013, 11:06 AM
this one time a long time ago someone said to start low and work upwards.
that is really good advice.
especially when you don't have an exact recipe that has been pressure tested in YOUR gun.

454PB
04-09-2013, 11:31 AM
When you're looking for a "very stout magnum load", that GP-100 is the perfect test vehicle.......they are built like a tank.

jonp
04-09-2013, 11:49 AM
I found H110 to be a better powder for max loads in my gp 100 using that boolit but it certainly doesn't mean you will not get excellent results with 2400. Let us know what you come up with as I have a lb of 2400 I have not played with much at all yet. I tried it up to mid range but results were not what I wanted so stopped there and went back to H110 leaving it for later. I also went to a heavier boolit as I was hunting whitetail.
What are you hunting with it?

jonp
04-09-2013, 11:51 AM
When you're looking for a "very stout magnum load", that GP-100 is the perfect test vehicle.......they are built like a tank.
Thats an understatement. I wad pretty sure I could use it for a rocket launcher with no ill effects

mdi
04-09-2013, 12:11 PM
For any lead bullet load data, I go to Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook. Haven't been disappointed yet. FWIW; nuttin' wrong with "Rip-Roaring" full Magnum loads, but it is a wise reloader who reaches that load level in stages (aka; start low and work up :D)

BCB
04-09-2013, 05:51 PM
I have shot 14 grains of 2400 with a 158 grain SWC—actually it weighed in at around 165 grains—RCBS 38-158-SWC--that may be the boolit you are mentioning?…

I shot it in an old Security-Six 6 incher and got 1099 fps with 12 grains and 1358 fps with 14 grains…

Two grains of that powder increased velocity over 250 fps…

Gotta be careful at the high end of powder charges…

Good-luck…BCB

gon2shoot
04-09-2013, 08:06 PM
The hot loads are not always the most accurate, nobody is impressed by how fast the boolit is going when you miss. just sayin.

dougader
04-09-2013, 10:48 PM
this one time a long time ago someone said to start low and work upwards.
that is really good advice.
especially when you don't have an exact recipe that has been pressure tested in YOUR gun.

Yeah, starting at maximum can lead to some nasty surprises. Start low and work up slow are words to live by when you are dealing with a new bullet, new powder and/or primers.

jonp
04-10-2013, 06:25 AM
Unless I am trying for target loads I usually start mid-range with established, printed loads to save powder. Of course, if I want to try something not printed like a new boolit I start all the way on the low end like everyone agrees is safe

jonp
04-10-2013, 06:26 AM
The hot loads are not always the most accurate, nobody is impressed by how fast the boolit is going when you miss. just sayin.
True. "Only accurate guns (and loads) are interesting.

cbrick
04-10-2013, 07:02 AM
Re-read post #4 and post #10. Very wise advice in both.

Never ever start with a max load with a new gun/powder/bullet. That load may well be safe in a test gun or even someone else's gun but that has nothing to do with what it will be in your gun with your components. Start low and work up.

Somewhere between extremely rarely and never is the maximum safe load the most accurate load. As you work up a load you will reach and then pass what is the most accurate in your gun.

Be safe, start low and work up and you'll find the right load for your gun/components.

Rick

jonp
04-10-2013, 09:16 AM
Re-read post #4 and post #10. Very wise advice in both.

Never ever start with a max load with a new gun/powder/bullet. That load may well be safe in a test gun or even someone else's gun but that has nothing to do with what it will be in your gun with your components. Start low and work up.

Somewhere between extremely rarely and never is the maximum safe load the most accurate load. As you work up a load you will reach and then pass what is the most accurate in your gun.

Be safe, start low and work up and you'll find the right load for your gun/components.

Rick
Your absolutely right. I dont think a max load has ever been the most accurate for me. I shud.mention that starting at mid range loads for me is done in my blackhawks. I probably could break one somehow but not sure how to do short of a compressed triple load. Exagerating here but you get my point

falootin
04-10-2013, 03:50 PM
Maybe I should have given a little background on me and my experiences before I posted my load data inquiry. Here you go..
I'm not new to reloading. I've been loading for about 25 years. I load for more handgun cartridges than I do rifle. I'm no stranger to loading cast bullets, especially in .357 and .44 mag's. I've also been using 2400 powder for as long as I've been throwing the lever on my old Lyman Spartan press. I agree that no one's ever been hurt by starting low and working up. Now we're all on the same page!
jonp, I'll be hunting everything from groundhogs, to coyotes and whitetails with all of my casts.

RCBS 38-158-SWC--that may be the boolit you are mentioning?…

BCB, yes, that's the one. Mine also weigh 165 gr.

I've settled on several loads with the 2400 at 13.9, 14.1 and 14.4. I'll report back with the results. I've loaded several thousand of the MBC 158 grain casts so I'm expecting similar results, but this one does have a gas check and its been a good while since I've loaded gas checked casts.

While I'm on here, I'll also pick your brain (or, rather experiences) with the Keith style 175 grain o.358" cast, I think it was catshooter that started that thread
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?1592-359-173gr-Keith-boolit-mold I have a few hundred of these that I'll be loading, in both .38 special and magnum. Interested in hearing what lower-velocity powders you've had good success with, such as Bullseye and Clays, maybe some HP38, too.

Thanks

BCB
04-10-2013, 05:37 PM
With the Lyman 358429…

I’ve used Green Dot, Scot 453, Trail Boss, and WW-230…

Velocities that I found accurate for each of the powders in order of listed above…

897 fps, 987 fps, 652 fps, and 1069 fps…

The WW-230 gives amazing velocity for using only 6.5 grains…

Good-luck…BCB

MtGun44
04-10-2013, 05:52 PM
Good luck finding WW230, too. ;-)

Bill

BCB
04-10-2013, 05:58 PM
Good luck finding WW230, too. ;-)

Bill

Indeed!!!

I have about 1/2 cup of it left and I really don't use it at all. The data I posted was from long in the past, but who knows, an 8-pound keg might just surface for falootin!!!...

Good-luck...BCB

mdi
04-10-2013, 07:25 PM
Maybe I should have given a little background on me and my experiences before I posted my load data inquiry. Here you go..
I'm not new to reloading. I've been loading for about 25 years. I load for more handgun cartridges than I do rifle. I'm no stranger to loading cast bullets, especially in .357 and .44 mag's. I've also been using 2400 powder for as long as I've been throwing the lever on my old Lyman Spartan press. I agree that no one's ever been hurt by starting low and working up. Now we're all on the same page!
jonp, I'll be hunting everything from groundhogs, to coyotes and whitetails with all of my casts.

I've settled on several loads with the 2400 at 13.9, 14.1 and 14.4. I'll report back with the results. I've loaded several thousand of the MBC 158 grain casts so I'm expecting similar results, but this one does have a gas check and its been a good while since I've loaded gas checked casts.

While I'm on here, I'll also pick your brain (or, rather experiences) with the Keith style 175 grain o.358" cast, I think it was catshooter that started that thread I have a few hundred of these that I'll be loading, in both .38 special and magnum. Interested in hearing what lower-velocity powders you've had good success with, such as Bullseye and Clays, maybe some HP38, too.

Thanks

No offence and jes wonderin', with all your experience, why did you ask?

falootin
04-10-2013, 07:52 PM
mdi:
Now there just isn't any point in your post, except to instigate.
I posted my questions for the sake of a friendly exchange of sharing experiences and info. If you have nothing positive to contribute to the thread, you could just as easily move to the next one.
You have a problem with that boy?

jonp
04-10-2013, 08:24 PM

While I'm on here, I'll also pick your brain (or, rather experiences) with the Keith style 175 grain o.358" cast, I think it was catshooter that started that thread I have a few hundred of these that I'll be loading, in both .38 special and magnum. Interested in hearing what lower-velocity powders you've had good success with, such as Bullseye and Clays, maybe some HP38, too.

Thanks
You might want to consider a heavier boolit for whitetail sized game than 158gr. Thats a little light imho.

PS Paul
04-10-2013, 08:44 PM
I've shot several pounds of 2400 in my ruger .357 over the years. I have found with a 158 gr. boolit, 14.5 to 15.5 grs 2400 is stout, but a pretty accurate load. I shoot a 170 gr. PB boolit too, but don't exceed 13.5 grs with that weight. Pretty close to max with a PB boolit....... I don't have a heavy gc mold, but I would bet your suggested load would be a real hum dinger. Too light for deer? I think it would make great deer medicine.

rintinglen
04-10-2013, 09:19 PM
I've shot a pile of the RCBS 38-162 SWC GC using 15.7 grains of H-110, IIRC the starting load from the old RCBS Cast Boolit Manual, but top end for the similar Lyman 358-156. at least according to Lyman's Cast Boolit Handbook, 3rd edition. I have also had good results with the 14.5 grain 2400 load. These are both hot loads, but for dropping rams from a 6 inch Dan Wesson M-15 they were barely enough.

These days, I only load the H-110 load, as it is more accurate from my Rossi Puma. It ruins jack rabbits.

Boogieman
04-10-2013, 09:44 PM
I use that RCBS 358-162 GC over 13 gr 2400 crono. says 1265 fps out of a 4" Ruger SS SD. less than 10 fps. no pressure signs still need to check it out of my 6.5" Blackhawk

jonp
04-11-2013, 07:09 AM
I've shot several pounds of 2400 in my ruger .357 over the years. I have found with a 158 gr. boolit, 14.5 to 15.5 grs 2400 is stout, but a pretty accurate load. I shoot a 170 gr. PB boolit too, but don't exceed 13.5 grs with that weight. Pretty close to max with a PB boolit....... I don't have a heavy gc mold, but I would bet your suggested load would be a real hum dinger. Too light for deer? I think it would make great deer medicine.
Just my opinion. It might be fine depending on the shot and size of the deer. Up north where deer can go close to 300lbs i'm not sure it would be up to the task being asked of it short of.a 10 mile tracking expedition through the swamps.

SawmillJack
05-26-2013, 12:11 AM
Indeed!!!

I have about 1/2 cup of it left and I really don't use it at all. The data I posted was from long in the past, but who knows, an 8-pound keg might just surface for falootin!!!...

Good-luck...BCB

What is the chance you could help me out with some load data for W230? I have almost a full 8lbs but no place to get load data. I want to load .357 mag, .45acp, .45 Colt, .44 special and mag.
I have had this powder for three years and need to use it now that I can't buy powders and my supplies are running out.

Qc pistolero
05-26-2013, 05:15 PM
357 mag:158 gr lead:6.7gr.=1300fps=43,000C.U.P
45ACP:210gr lead wc;from 3.0 to 5.1gr=700 to 920fps=from 10,000 to 16,500C.U.P
45 Colt;255 gr lead;6.0gr=900fps=14,000C.U.P
44 mag;240gr lead:9.5gr=1230fps=33,000 C.U.P

This is taken from Winchester-Western Ball Powder Loading data First edition Reprinted June 1973.
Good shooting!

Qc Pistolero

Beerd
05-26-2013, 06:52 PM
nuthin' to add to this thread, but I just have to say it,

HI! Falootin! [smilie=s: