PDA

View Full Version : range brass

mikeym1a
04-09-2013, 02:57 AM
I have some old 7.62x51 berdan primed range brass that I picked up somewhere about 30 years ago. It had been on the ground for about a year when I got it, and it then set in a bag under my bed until a week ago, when i found it. I had read about using citric acid to clean brass, so I tried it on this old, nearly black brass. It only worked about half, so after a time, I put it into another batch of citric acid. by the time I took it out, the citric acid had turned blue. Not the first use of that batch, but, this stuff took it to it's limit. Must have been even more corroded than I thought. My question is, how do I tell if it is still 'good' brass? The second trip through the citric acid helped a bunch, and it is now in the tumbler, to see if it cleans up. A cursory inspection did not show any 'coppery' places. Any ideas?

jonk
04-09-2013, 10:49 AM
If you don't see any pits or cracks, odds are you are good to go. For peace of mind, you could try a few light loads to start. You might anneal the necks if so inclined, but for .308 I don't think I'd bother.

MUSTANG
04-09-2013, 08:08 PM
I have cleaned some pretty cruddy brass over the years successfully. I would not worry about the Blue Color of the Citric Acid cleaner, all my batches turn deeper and deeper shades of blue, you are in essence creating a Copper Sulfate solution. When it turns a Dark Blue as they are used, it becomes saturated and will make a great copper plating solution. After each use, I let my solution sit overnight to a couple of days, then I use a hose (end just above the black scum line) to syphon the Blue solution off, and dispose of the sediment/scum at the bottom. Then reuse again. Eventually you have to create a new batch (but keep the blue solution if you do any copper plating , if you let it sit long enough and evaporate you get copper sulfate crystals).

Deep pits are your worst risk as they could result in a "Burn Though" at the deep pit location.

I too have recovered a variety of Berdan Primed Brass cases in 7.62x51. I have converted numerous from Berdan to Boxer. See the thread here on Cast Boolits on doing this: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?143958-Converting-Berdan-primer-pockets-to-Boxer

mikeym1a
04-09-2013, 11:31 PM
I have cleaned some pretty cruddy brass over the years successfully. I would not worry about the Blue Color of the Citric Acid cleaner, all my batches turn deeper and deeper shades of blue, you are in essence creating a Copper Sulfate solution. When it turns a Dark Blue as they are used, it becomes saturated and will make a great copper plating solution. After each use, I let my solution sit overnight to a couple of days, then I use a hose (end just above the black scum line) to syphon the Blue solution off, and dispose of the sediment/scum at the bottom. Then reuse again. Eventually you have to create a new batch (but keep the blue solution if you do any copper plating , if you let it sit long enough and evaporate you get copper sulfate crystals).

Deep pits are your worst risk as they could result in a "Burn Though" at the deep pit location.

I too have recovered a variety of Berdan Primed Brass cases in 7.62x51. I have converted numerous from Berdan to Boxer. See the thread here on Cast Boolits on doing this: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?143958-Converting-Berdan-primer-pockets-to-BoxerHadn't even thought of saving the 'blue solution'. Have to give it a try. If nothing else, it's a good root killer. I had read the thread on the converting berdan to boxer. I've made my first on another make of case. Interesting in seeing if it actually works. Just wanted to make sure this brass was good enough to use before going to the effort. The other brass I have is new. There is very little pitting, and none of it deep. No cracks that I can see. Several cases are dented as though the bolt came back before the case cleared the port. Not bad denting though. I had forgotten all about this brass. I was looking for something else entirely, and came across it. I guess that makes it 'found' brass. Thanks for the advice.

Shiloh
04-10-2013, 11:11 AM
I use a couple table spoonfuls of muriatic acid in a bucket of water. Cleans the most heavily tarnished brass. Rinse very well.

Shiloh