PDA

View Full Version : Gun Digest Magazine?

Bent Ramrod
04-08-2013, 09:15 PM
I'd never heard of Gun Digest Magazine, but recently got an offer where a year's subscription for $25 would save me $140 over the cover price for 24 issues. They claim to have all kinds of information "available nowhere else."

A big claim, given the existence of Forums like this one.

Does anybody subscribe to this magazine? Is it worth $165 a year, or even $25? The fact that all the Gun Digests I've ever gotten come from some place in Illinois and this magazine comes from Florida gives me the uneasy feeling that the magazine, despite the title, doesn't have anything to do with the Digest series.

Lee
04-08-2013, 09:21 PM
Google 'em. But if it is the same one I keep geting offers from, I would wait until it gets to $10 per year. Then go for it. I know of nothing worth $165 per year to tell me about guns that I can not find for free on the Internet. There is also a gundigest something Internet outfit that offers various downloads for various guns, disasembly, etc. Some of those for $2 are useful, some of those for $0.20 are plagarized copies of what are already in the manual you got with the gun, or can get for free by contacting the manufactures.

Like Shotgun News. I get a copy once or twice a year. Little changes in the 6 months between copies. Just my $0.02 ..... Lee

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-08-2013, 09:36 PM
It use to be called "Gun List"

http://www.gundigest.com/about-us

Gun Digest the Magazine

In late fall of 2004, a tabloid-style gun classifieds newspaper, titled Gun List, was revamped. It would feature the same extensive gun classifieds and auction listings, but the new periodical was beefed up with feature articles and columns on gunsmithing, reloading, long-range shooting, shotgunning, gun collecting and commentary – the same quality information found in the annual book. In 2006, Gun List underwent a name change to Gun Digest the Magazine; its editorial and classifieds format have remained intact ever since.

Published bi-weekly, Gun Digest the Magazine offers shooting enthusiasts the best and most current gun news, and firearms for sale. Plus, it features great articles from the best gun writers in the country. Columnists include Brian McCombie, Charlie Cutshaw, Dave Morelli, Dave Workman, Walt Hampton, Scott Bestul, Scott Freigh, Dan Shideler, Phillip Peterson, Kevin Muramatsu and Nick Niles.

Bent Ramrod
04-09-2013, 08:24 PM
Thanks, guys. I've seen the Gun List. A few occasionally interesting articles in an endless avalanche of paper. And classified ads for gun stuff haven't been worth looking through since the Eighties. I guess I'll pass.

Rattlesnake Charlie
04-09-2013, 08:34 PM
I've been disappointed in them. I dropped the magazine. And, I bought several of their books, which were nothing more than listing currently available market items. I was looking for real info on different tactics, not the available tactical lights. Save your money.

Bill*
04-09-2013, 08:49 PM
I let my subscription lapse. It usually had something interesting but was mostly classified ads. I couldn't justify cost to value.

Chamfered
04-09-2013, 09:05 PM
Ditto, I carried Gun List for years in the early 90s (it was the best way I had to shop guns) and then picked up a Gun Digest sub for one year about 2 or 3 years ago. Even at the low sub rate I let it drop. Just not enough there.