PDA

View Full Version : What to do with my Alox

awaveritt
04-08-2013, 04:12 PM
I realized my question wasn't clear as stated in my OP. What I'm asking is, are there any PAN Lube recipes that incorporate LLA with beeswax. I'd like to add LLA as an ingredient in a beeswax-based pan lube. Any success stories with this idea?

I have gravitated away from Tumble Lube style boolits, preferring conventional lube groove styles, pan lubed with a 45/45/10 ratio of beeswax, Crisco, lanolin. Has worked great in my black powder/lead and smokeless/lead cowboy loads.

But I'm about to embark on loading medium velocity lead loads in 9mm, 380auto, and would like your suggestions for something better for the higher velocities and pressures of these calibers. Also would try it in my 45acp at around 800fps. Are there any recipes that call for the Alox that comes with the Lee sizer kits? - I have two or three of these small bottles. Also, is the equal-part Beeswax/Paraffin/Vaseline recipe any good in these loads? Anyone ever tried the Alox in with that, just to use it up and experiment?

H.Callahan
04-08-2013, 04:48 PM
You might want to try Felix's Lube (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?543-Felix-Lube-the-Short-Version). It is well regarded around here.

Copper75
04-08-2013, 05:02 PM
I'm using 40% alox 40% Johnson paste wax 10% mineral spirits for my tumble Lube boolits. So far it has worked well for me. I'm shooting 230 gr 300 blackout boolits at subsonic velocities.

awaveritt
04-10-2013, 01:46 PM
I realized my question wasn't clear as stated in my OP. What I'm asking is, are there any PAN Lube recipes that incorporate LLA with beeswax. I'd like to add LLA as an ingredient in a beeswax-based pan lube. Any success stories with this idea?

454PB
04-10-2013, 04:11 PM
The original NRA formula for 50/50 lube is 50% beeswax and 50% Alox 2138F. I believe 2138F is now replaced with a similar formula that is used with a solvent for the Lee liquid Alox. Since it contains solvent, it will be somewhat diluted, but it should work.

Years ago I used the NRA formula for pan lubing, give it a try.

MtGun44
04-10-2013, 06:02 PM
+1 on 454PB. NRA 50-50 is a known good lube and you should add enough beeswax to make a
soft and slightly sticky lube, perfect for pan lubing. Since LLA is a different viscosity (apparently)
than the original, you may need to exceed 50% beeswax to get the consistency you want.

Bill

w0fms
04-10-2013, 06:45 PM
Maybe add in a little Carnuba Wax too?

That's what I think make's the 45/45/10 "Recluse" TL formula so nice (it seems to "seal in" the Alox which is nice since it's not sticky like straight LLA is), since boiled off JPW is about 60% carnuba and 40% micro-crystalline paraffin if you look at the MSDS. You can get straight Carnuba from the Babybel cheeses, by the way.. ;)

I have a non-TL 9mm LEE 6-cavity on backorder at MidwayUSA (since it at least appears that it will come in sooner and had universally better reviews there and elsewhere than the 124 gr TL one did) that I plan on actually Tumble Lubing, but I thought adding some Carnuba to the groove in addition might be a good idea. But since reading this thread, the 50-50 NRA maybe further cut with some carnuba might be the experiment I try in a pan. Then I will also tumble lube it with 45/45/10. Fun stuff no matter what.

williamwaco
04-10-2013, 07:57 PM
50/50 beeswax/alox has been a go-to lube for at least 75 years.

It is the only lube I have ever used that has NEVER failed me.

I have gravitated to Tumble Lube with LLA for all my handguns over the past couple of years with only a few failures.

You can see the results here:

http://reloadingtips.com/pages/exp_111201a_lla_test.htm

I am experimenting with LLA in my .30-30 but still use 50-50 by Lyman or Javalina for most rifle loads.

I think it would make an excellent pan lube and there are many sources of pure beeswax from members here.

texassako
04-10-2013, 09:39 PM
I tried a batch of pan lube using beeswax and LLA, but it seemed to really change in hardness and brittleness as the LLA in it dried out. The boolits looked so bad after a week I wiped as much as I could off and tumbled them with 45/45/10.

Green Lizzard
04-10-2013, 09:54 PM
i use it like copper75 except i add about 2 tbs atf to soften it cause i finger lube everything dry in front of a small fan

Bullet Caster
04-10-2013, 09:57 PM
Now there ya go. After making up a batch of 45/45/10 "Relcluse" lube, I mixed it with 50% bee's wax and use that for my rifle boolits. I don't like pan lubing so I just heat it up and ranch dip all my rifle boolits. I use the tumble lube of 45/45/10 "Recluse" lube for all my pistol boolits. It works so well on my Lee 124 gn. TL that I use it for regular lube boolits, i.e., .452 230 gn. for the .45 acp and the .452 255 gn. RNFP Lee and both have regular lube grooves in it as well. You just have to find the right method to suit yer taste. The 45/45/10 mixed with bee's wax smells and looks like RCBS rifle lube. BC

mdi
04-11-2013, 12:22 PM
I realized my question wasn't clear as stated in my OP. What I'm asking is, are there any PAN Lube recipes that incorporate LLA with beeswax. I'd like to add LLA as an ingredient in a beeswax-based pan lube. Any success stories with this idea?Add alox to melted beeswax. You'll have to experiment with amounts, but a classic lube is 50-50, alox and beeswax...

44man
04-11-2013, 12:45 PM
I get bottles with Lee dies, toss them in a drawer until I have enough to send to someone for just postage. I feel bad about it. Might make a good weed killer though.
I don't want the stuff so Lee should offer just dies and reduce the prices.

trixter
04-11-2013, 12:51 PM
I will take all you can send me and pay postage.

w0fms
04-11-2013, 06:02 PM
44Man: I wish they would too. I can buy it locally for like $7.. but to order sizers that I cannot get locally it adds like $14 to the shipping because it's an "ORM-D Misc" substance and that tacks on a HazMat fee.

Well, at least the two I bought from MidwayUSA were that way. I've been temped to ask them if they'd open up the sizer and chuck the LLA just to save me the $14..

kcinnick
04-11-2013, 06:36 PM
I have some lee sizers for when I don't want to transfer over my Mark V and had no use for the Alox. The sizing dies are pretty slick on an a lee classic cast press mounted upside down.

44man
04-12-2013, 08:14 AM
I will take all you can send me and pay postage.
I just sent off most and only have one bottle from a recent purchase, not worth the postage. If I had a big slingshot I would send it your way!

44man
04-12-2013, 08:17 AM
44Man: I wish they would too. I can buy it locally for like $7.. but to order sizers that I cannot get locally it adds like $14 to the shipping because it's an "ORM-D Misc" substance and that tacks on a HazMat fee.

Well, at least the two I bought from MidwayUSA were that way. I've been temped to ask them if they'd open up the sizer and chuck the LLA just to save me the $14..
I never paid hazmat from Midsouth. Might be a new way for Midway to make money. Thanks for your business!
The guy talks like a bobble head.

w0fms
04-12-2013, 05:44 PM
I'd agree.. the shipping from Midway has gone up a lot recently as well now that the "crazy stuff" has all happened. But in my location they are quick and usually cheaper than Brownells with no sales tax. Overall I find them hard to beat when I look. But I'll note Midsouth on the sizers. I won't buy another from Midway because of the Alox..