PDA

View Full Version : Wheel weight! Lead or not?

Buck-N-Rut
04-08-2013, 03:20 PM
How can I tell if my wheel weights are lead or a different kind of metal?

runfiverun
04-08-2013, 03:28 PM
side nippers, if it cut's it's lead.
after a while of that you learn visually.

fcvan
04-08-2013, 03:31 PM
Wheel weights can be scored with a tool such as side cutters, zinc, not so much. Steel can be picked with a magnet. Once you figure out which is which you can get a better idea. Wheel weights have a different 'ring' to them when dropped. Having to sort wheel weights has sure become a pain. Oh for the days when they were what they were, a dependable alloy. I read somewhere that some new wheel weights are a hodge lodge of whatever they recycled and that now some are contaminated with zinc because they didn't sort. Thank goodness folks have figured out a way to move the zinc with I think copper sulfide. Not sure on this though but the are some threads regarding such things.

Jailer
04-08-2013, 03:39 PM
I sit on a short stool while sorting and if I question one I give it a quick scrape across the cement floor of my garage. Steel and zinc will sound like scraping a rock and it won't damage them, lead will scrape a small bit of it away.

H.Callahan
04-08-2013, 04:50 PM
side nippers, if it cut's it's lead.
after a while of that you learn visually.
+1 This is probably the quickest method.

Gtek
04-08-2013, 04:56 PM
The time spent on front end is well worth it to me. Stool- you bet, old knees. Side cutters for confirmation. Fe chuck to one pile, some of the Zn's are sneaky and you need a quick squeeze on all not sure's. Keep pot around 700 as the last defense. Careful on your stick ons also. You Zinc up a batch and you will see and learn new things. Gtek

Buck-N-Rut
04-08-2013, 07:10 PM
Thanks guys. I have about 5 pounds of weights. I know it's not much but I will hoard any amount I can get. I will see what I have tonight.

Buck-N-Rut
04-08-2013, 07:33 PM
Correction. 15 pounds. That stuff is heavy for such a small amount.

dilly
04-08-2013, 08:10 PM
Adds up faster than you think doesn't it?

Buck-N-Rut
04-08-2013, 09:03 PM
Yes it does.