PDA

View Full Version : Lee Molds

Marc2
08-08-2005, 10:17 PM
I was directed here from Frontier Sixshooter in regards to Lee six cavity molds. Wow, what a great site! :) Y'all must keep Lee busy.
This may seem like an elementary question, but once Lee sets up the tooling for one of your custom molds, is it possible that they keep that in their inventory as a item that could be ordered at a future date?

Marc

Buckshot
08-08-2005, 11:02 PM
I was directed here from Frontier Sixshooter in regards to Lee six cavity molds. Wow, what a great site! :) Y'all must keep Lee busy.
This may seem like an elementary question, but once Lee sets up the tooling for one of your custom molds, is it possible that they keep that in their inventory as a item that could be ordered at a future date?

Marc

I don't actually know for sure if Lee keeps the design on file. Their moulds are cut on CNC machinery so it could easily be retained. Lee states that the design you send to them can be produced by them for THEIR own purposes.

...............Buckshot

Leftoverdj
08-08-2005, 11:31 PM
In ordering a group buy, we give Lee the right to produce that design for sale should they choose. Dunno that they ever have.

Willbird
08-09-2005, 06:41 AM
I wonder if Dougie comes over here to look now and then and see what is coming his way ?? I would sure think our group buys would give them some input as to what a portion of their customer base would like to see in 6 cavity (all of the group buys since I joined up have been 6 cavity)

There is probably some tooling change required to setup a given job...and as always we should be gratefull they will even talk to us at $50.00 a mold.

Bill

45 2.1
08-09-2005, 07:17 AM
Considering they are making an extra $17 plus their normal profit that they don't get selling to a dealer, they are a bunch of BANDITS!

Willbird
08-09-2005, 09:08 AM
I'm not sure how many molds they run in a normal production run, I guess they are calling the tune and we have toi dance to what they play, FWIW I don't see any other mold maker jumping up and down to make us custom 6 cavity molds for 50 a copy. Not even single cavity ones for that price.

Bill

45 2.1
08-09-2005, 10:38 AM
I'm not sure how many molds they run in a normal production run, I guess they are calling the tune and we have toi dance to what they play, FWIW I don't see any other mold maker jumping up and down to make us custom 6 cavity molds for 50 a copy. Not even single cavity ones for that price.
Bill

Mid South sends in custom single cavity runs of the 8mm Karabiner and Maximum. There is a minimum of 25 to get the $100 run price relieved. They sell them for cheap so maybe they must be getting dealer price! LEE is gouging us for full retail which they didn't used to do (thats an extra $17 in their pocket they wouldn't get if a dealer did it). Lee makes allot less doing theirs for about the same time than doing one of ours on which they make allot more money for the time spent. Do the math, we're a cash cow.

Willbird
08-09-2005, 12:52 PM
Having worked in machine shops all my life, and quoted jobs I can offer some insight. If Lee typically runs say 100 piece orders. Doing a 25 piece run will be much less profitible than 100, AND a repeat job with standard tooling can be run by a button pusher once the program is made and proved out, Load tools, run setup part, check dia and depth of the cavity, get one inspected, run like mad.

our molds take a more skilled operator/setup man.

When I get prices on any componant based on 1, 25, 100 qty I would not be at all suprised to see the 100 part price be half of the 25 part price, If I got pricing 1, 25,and 100 based on a blanket PO for 1000 parts, the price will drop a HUGE amount. When you are the mfg. you in essance have a blanket PO because you have a feel for how many you will need and use per year.

I'm not saying you are wrong 452.1 but I don't know of another machine shop in America that can make money on an assembly of at least 14 parts that come readily to mind, made in the USA and sold retail for $35.00. It is a blipping miracle I tellya :-)

blocks (2)
handle(1)
ferrule(1)
cam(1)
bolts(2)
bushings(2)
dowels(2)
sprueplate(1)
screws(2)

We can discuss ad infinitum, with no rancor I hope :-) I really wish we could get them for $35.00 cause then I could buy MORE :-)

Bill

45 2.1
08-09-2005, 12:59 PM
Bill-

I was refering to what their current policy and prices that they set. They must have a good setup, because they just put in a brand new CNC to do custom orders. That money didn't appear from nowhere, did it. It came from us paying extra thru their revised policies.

David R
08-09-2005, 06:17 PM
I am not defending LEE, but I think $50.00 is dirt cheap for a 6 cavity mold. Go price a 2 cavity Lyman or 4 cavity Lyman. They make em to our specs. As far as the new machine, I am sure it turns out ALL of their molds much faster and easier than their old one did. CNC is a wonderful thing.

And yes, the more the volume, the cheaper you can make em. Ever seen a 6 screw Davenport? Just load 6 10' rods and watch it turn out screws, or other things like crazy. To make 25 of one part would be a bitch. To make 25,000 to a million wouldn't be too bad. Price per piece.

I like the group buys.

Willbird
08-09-2005, 08:21 PM
it is gonna take a lot of $17 to pay for a $75,000 or much more CNC lathe.

we better get to it :-)

Bill

drinks
08-09-2005, 08:45 PM
Not only does Lee allow custom orders, but all of Lee's products are cost leaders that keep the rest of the reloading manufacturers in check.
Lee dies are now what Lyman and RCBS were 20 years ago, the only reason Lyman and RCBS are not twice what they are is the competition from Lee.
The only close custom source is Mountain Molds and he gets $60 for a single cavity aluminum mold, of course, he does not have a setup fee.
I am just happy Lee is still around, I was disappointed when they went belly up in the '70's, but they did come back, better than ever.
Don

45 2.1
08-09-2005, 08:45 PM
WE are NOT the only bunch flooding LEE with custom orders. Ours don't amount to much in that respect.

Buckshot
08-10-2005, 02:32 AM
Bill-

I was refering to what their current policy and prices that they set. They must have a good setup, because they just put in a brand new CNC to do custom orders. That money didn't appear from nowhere, did it. It came from us paying extra thru their revised policies.

When Doug called to say the 6.5mm custom order would be later then promised, due to the installation of a new machine, he didn't say it was purely for special orders. He didnt say it wasn't either :D

45 2.1 "...........WE are NOT the only bunch flooding LEE with custom orders. Ours don't amount to much in that respect."

So far a Lee is concerned I doubt they even know these are coming from this membership. They just see a name. I know the owner of the British Militaria BB has had Lee do maybe 6-8 custom moulds. I certainly haven't visited all the shooting BB's on the net (I don't think, ha!) but on the vast majority reloading is way down on the traffic scale and prolly 80% don't even HAVE a cast lead forum.

I don't know a 'group' meaning a bunch of guys off the same BB who might have done more. I could see 'group' as in maybe a field of interest or something similar having done more. It would be interesting to find out, in any regard as a matter of curiosity as I don't think they're handing out prizes for whoever is in the lead[smilie=p:

..............Buckshot

mroliver77
08-13-2005, 03:24 PM
Mid South sends in custom single cavity runs of the 8mm Karabiner and Maximum. There is a minimum of 25 to get the $100 run price relieved. They sell them for cheap so maybe they must be getting dealer price! LEE is gouging us for full retail which they didn't used to do (thats an extra $17 in their pocket they wouldn't get if a dealer did it). Lee makes allot less doing theirs for about the same time than doing one of ours on which they make allot more money for the time spent. Do the math, we're a cash cow.
So what exactly is a "dealer"? Could we somehow get "Cast Boolit" dealer status? F&M reloading supply sells the 6 cavity molds for $35. What do they pay? Jay

waksupi
08-13-2005, 03:36 PM
Jay, that strikes me as a good idea, for not only molds, but other related equipment. On the other hand, that makes one shipping address that everything would need to be handled through. Plus, the added problem of taxes and book keeping.

Gunload Master
08-13-2005, 07:06 PM
Would have to go through the city to get a permit to obtain delear status. Would need a Tax ID # or possibly just an ST-101 form or something simliar. Lee might also require an FFL permit as well.
This is just a rough guess as to get started as a dealer..

Willbird
08-13-2005, 07:26 PM
Actually a C&R ffl gets you dealer status according to Monica.

I myself have no illusions that Lee would be nearly as nice to us with uour volume as they are to midwayusa.com and some of the other medium sized outfits. I wonder how big of a check Midway sends to Lee every month ?

Bill

waksupi
08-13-2005, 09:56 PM
I wonder if Lee knows the mold designs originate offthis board? No reason they should, if no one has told them. after all, they are all getting shipped to different addresses, scattered across the country

porkchop bob
08-13-2005, 10:31 PM
So what exactly is a "dealer"? Could we somehow get "Cast Boolit" dealer status? F&M reloading supply sells the 6 cavity molds for $35. What do they pay? Jay

A retail license is issued by the state. One who is so licensed is a DEALER and extends a copy of the license with first order. In SC, my state, the license is $50 - lifetime - and requires a quarterly or monthly sales tax return. In state sales/deliveries are subject to the sales tax. Out of state sales/deliveries are not taxed. It is up to the out of state customer to report and pay his use tax. In SC, there is a line on the income tax return for this.

If you have a retail sales license, the city or county you live in will require you to purchase a business license. Cost is based on projected annual sales. The state will report your monthly sales and annual sales to the city or county.

If you have a retail license, you will be reporting you business by filing a federal schedule C with your income tax return. (gross sales less expenses). In most cases, the balance will always be zero and will not change the amount of tax you would otherwise be paying.

One license for all business will increase annual volume of purchases with Lee and give you a price break. Downside is the fact that now we are having several members head up the group buys. If you funnel the work via the DEALER, there will be an extra step and perhaps double shipping. Perhaps not. Lots of details and as you can see, much more record keeping.

I am thinking paying a little more to Lee is cheaper than becoming a licensed retailer and all it will require.

Bob

carpetman
08-14-2005, 02:34 AM
Willbird---Actually a C&R ffl gets you full dealer status according to Monica. Only a C&R ffl---I thought you had to be president to get the full deal with Monica.

Willbird
08-14-2005, 09:13 AM
I would not want to talk about Monica behind her back, But in Life I have found women in general to bend the rules quite a bit for a fella that catches their eye :-)

Mebbe she just likes me better than carpetman hehe

And Mr. PorckchpBob we used to get dealer price on group buy's, But Lee decided they are not making enough money selling customs at $35.00 so they raised the price to $50.00........that extra $17.00 per mold has put several members out on the street, and many others have had to go from 100 watt lightbulbs down to 60's, rumor has it that one guy may even stop smoking $3.50 a pack smokes to afford more molds, OH THE HORROR.

This all took place before I ever bought my first group buy mold so I guess I don't feel the pain like others do.

Bill

No_1
08-14-2005, 10:50 AM
I wonder if Lee knows the mold designs originate offthis board? No reason they should, if no one has told them. after all, they are all getting shipped to different addresses, scattered across the country

I have an idea which could possibly give LEE a clue that all these moulds come from us. If you look at the "oversized moulds" topic you will see that I proposed a unique and easily identifiable mould designation system. The whole system my not apply here but it may be a step in the right direction. It was based on the following which I have cut and pasted from that post

"Example of above. "CBR458(3)-405RNFP" which would be = IMPROVED RCBS .458 + .003 - 405 grain - Round nose flat point.

In that example the "CB" in the beginning was to desinate us. Maybe if we let LEE know that anythat come his way that are designated "CBxxxx" would be from us, it could get us back into the lower price.

gutshot_again
08-14-2005, 11:31 AM
Why not submit the design to Midsouth when it's complete and let them order it? They then sell it to us for what they get for non-custom moulds - $35 in a six-cavity, or $14.00 in a single. It was set up that way once, and seemed to work pretty well. Also no one has to hold the checks and go thru the hassle, as well as Midsouth making a few bucks, and we get the same for less money.

felix
08-14-2005, 12:02 PM
This is probably the very best way. I was well pleased with their service on the Bator 22 which came in almost a year late. Phone calls and everything was on them, and I did not have to lift a finger. ... felix

gutshot_again
08-14-2005, 01:27 PM
Yes, I like that 22 Bator a lot myself. I also liked the way they handled the 8mm's, in particular the 6 cavity that they now make it available as a single cavity. Best of all worlds - those that like the 6 cavities can get in on the inital buy and those of us that money is tight can wait (and it could be a long wait) and get it as a single cavity. Or in the pistol moulds, a double cavity.

sundog
08-14-2005, 08:10 PM
..., and I REALLY screwed to pouch on NOT getting the 22 Bator.... At least two copies. sundog

gutshot_again
08-15-2005, 01:38 PM
..., and I REALLY screwed to pouch on NOT getting the 22 Bator.... At least two copies. sundog

It's cool - Midsouth still carries the mould for $17.12, they say it's on order. Meaning you may have to wait a bit but you can still get them. Look under special order moulds.

Oldfeller
08-15-2005, 11:03 PM
Gut-Shot is right, Midsouth will still list a good proven-out mold design.

Oldfeller