PDA

View Full Version : Air rifle users

Swamp Man
04-08-2013, 09:07 AM
I noticed the price of lead pellets have jumped 25% in the last month. If you use air guns and don't have a good stock of pellets you may want to stock up before they go up any more. The price and demand for lead is driving the cost up on lead pellets. Wal-mart has Crossman 500 count HP hunting pellets in .22 for 9.97 they also have .177 in 500 count for around 8 dollars.

Jim
04-08-2013, 09:22 AM
I noticed the price of lead pellets have jumped 25% in the last month. If you use air guns and don't have a good stock of pellets you may want to stock up before they go up any more. The price and demand for lead is driving the cost up on lead pellets. Wal-mart has Crossman 500 count HP hunting pellets in .22 for 9.97 they also have .177 in 500 count for around 8 dollars.

That's not bad. I recently ordered two 1250 count boxes of Crosman .177 wadcutters through my Mom & Pop dealer, $10/box. That added to the three 250 count boxes I bought from the hardware store gives me a bit over 3K. If I shoot a coupla' dozen sittin' on the front steps in the afternoons, I'll be shootin' for awhile.

Harter66
04-08-2013, 09:33 AM
If only I had a 180 RB mould maybe its time for a shot maker . My 177 Beeman is over bore a steel bb just drops through rattling all the way down. Most of the pellets I've used seem to grip the rifles fine. I dont shoot it too much so the 2k from 05' ought to hold me a while more.

Shooter
04-08-2013, 09:50 AM
I guess the frenzy is spilling into airguns, after they can't find .22's.
I would be interested in a big-bore, say .45-.50 or so.

Jim
04-08-2013, 10:05 AM
If only I had a 180 RB mould maybe its time for a shot maker . My 177 Beeman is over bore a steel bb just drops through rattling all the way down. Most of the pellets I've used seem to grip the rifles fine. I dont shoot it too much so the 2k from 05' ought to hold me a while more.

If I'm not mistaken, that's by design. BBs being steel, if the bore diameter was smaller than the BB, the BB would jam in the riflings.

I have a friend that is a big time air rifle nut. He's all up in it. When I told him I bought a .177 break barrel, he told me "Rule number one: NEVER shoot BBs through your pellet rifle!! They'll bounce down the barrel and ruin the riflings."

I dunno, I'm not an air rifle expert. It makes sense, though, and sounds like good advice. I look at it like this: I wouldn't shoot a sloppy fit steel ball through one of my centerfire rifles.

runfiverun
04-08-2013, 11:32 AM
the price of lead has been falling for a while now.
it's hanging out around 92 cents.

Jim Flinchbaugh
04-08-2013, 11:37 AM
Why not just get a air rifle mold for your caliber? ? ?

Swamp Man
04-08-2013, 11:41 AM
If I'm not mistaken, that's by design. BBs being steel, if the bore diameter was smaller than the BB, the BB would jam in the riflings.

I have a friend that is a big time air rifle nut. He's all up in it. When I told him I bought a .177 break barrel, he told me "Rule number one: NEVER shoot BBs through your pellet rifle!! They'll bounce down the barrel and ruin the riflings."

I dunno, I'm not an air rifle expert. It makes sense, though, and sounds like good advice. I look at it like this: I wouldn't shoot a sloppy fit steel ball through one of my centerfire rifles.
Bingo. A pellet acts like a slug when fired,the skirt is tight in the bore to make a air seal once fired it folds in.

wallenba
04-08-2013, 11:43 AM
Why not just get a air rifle mold for your caliber? ? ?

I always felt it would be possible for some company to make an affordable, lead wire fed swager to knock them out quickly. Should easily be able to do it.

Swamp Man
04-08-2013, 11:48 AM
I have a life time stock of pellets I bought years back. I know lots of guys that use air guns so when I'm out I check for deals to pass along to them and just noticed the price hike.

Swamp Man
04-08-2013, 11:53 AM
I always felt it would be possible for some company to make an affordable, lead wire fed swager to knock them out quickly. Should easily be able to do it.
I've seen some before but it was years ago old guy I knew had a few hand press pellet presses. The wire was pushed in then pressed and a single pellet was made.

jcwit
04-08-2013, 12:30 PM
Here's a start

http://airgunpelletmaker.weebly.com/

pressonregardless
04-08-2013, 12:49 PM
Guys, this is pretty interesting. Could zinc be used for pellets?

Jim
04-08-2013, 01:16 PM
Assuming the skirt of the pellet is groove diameter, I would wonder if a break barrel design would generate enough pressure to drive a zinc pellet down the barrel. I know a good way to find out, though, right? :bigsmyl2:

I'd like to have a small block aluminum mold about the size of a Lee mold with two to four cavities that would cast a .178 RB. With an RB, there ain't no front or back and there's no skirt to worry about mashing. Snug the ball in the chamber and go.

I bet I could lube 178 RBs with my Graphlox lube and get 'em to zip along pretty good! And no more lead than what it would take to cast a .178 RB, you could make a blue million of 'em with a pound.

Silver Eagle
04-08-2013, 10:36 PM
BB's in a break barrel air rifle will not create enough resistance and may cause a detonation, possibly damaging the rifle.
As for a pellet mold or swager, would only be nice if the resultant pellet was accurate enough in the air gun to be useful. Air guns can be very picky on what particular pellet style, brand, or weight they like. No guarantee the rifle will like the pellet until you bought the mold and made the pellets. Not to mention that if you have multiple air guns, some might like the pellet and other may not! :veryconfu

firefly1957
04-08-2013, 10:54 PM
Both my .177 pellet guns have barrels to tight to fit steel BB which are .18 there are guns made to shoot both.

As far as casting .177 pellets i am sure a hammer driven pound swaging die would be better and tin (solid lead free solder) can be used to make pellets if lead gets banned.

Ed Barrett
04-08-2013, 11:05 PM
A few years we had a custom .177 mold buy. I have one. after some testing by several members it was found if loaded backwards with the point forming an extreme boat tail and a metplate front they were more accurate. I cast them out of pure lead, they are slower than pellets but the extra makes up for it. I have had them go completely through a squirrel.

Swamp Man
04-08-2013, 11:24 PM
A lead RB made of soft lead fitted snug enough should make a air seal. They are making lead free pellets I think some of them are made with zinc you check the Gamo lead free pellets to find out what their made of.

Swamp Man
04-09-2013, 04:46 AM
Here you go guys Gamo lead BB's. http://www.airgun-supply.com/gamo_round_lead_bbs_177_tin_of_250.html Zinc hunting pellets. http://www.solware.co.uk/air-pistol-air-rifle/Thunderbolt-Pellets.shtml

P.K.
04-09-2013, 06:37 AM
Good thing I cleaned Wally World out of them two weeks ago, ended up with five 300 count Daisy "Dial a pellet" packs to go with my stash. Out the door at a little over 12 clams. ;-)

Plenty of selection left, just not the pellet packs. I'll save the flat points for tree rats and let the kids puch holes with the rest.

Jim
04-09-2013, 07:14 AM
BB's in a break barrel air rifle will not create enough resistance and may cause a detonation, possibly damaging the rifle....

Last time I had a pellet rifle, I was 12 yrs. old, so I'm new to this. Can you explain this for me? I've never heard of it and it's got my curiosity goin'.

Charlie Two Tracks
04-09-2013, 07:30 AM
Jim, you really got me going on this air rifle thing. I've been looking at one of those Rugers and it is getting mighty tempting.

Swamp Man
04-09-2013, 07:39 AM
Last time I had a pellet rifle, I was 12 yrs. old, so I'm new to this. Can you explain this for me? I've never heard of it and it's got my curiosity goin'.

Jim he was saying with a "steel/copper BB' they won't make a good air seal without a good air seal it is like dry firing your gun and can cause damage to the cylinder. However a lead BB is a whole different animal they are made to replace a pellet and fit snug unlike steel/copper BB's.

joesig
04-09-2013, 07:46 AM
For better or worse, a lot has changed in airguns since we were kids. Sheridan and Benjamin have since been bought by Crosman and changed for the worse. Even some of Crosman and Daisy's gun have been devolved. Meanwhile the spring air guns have improved. That accuracy and power phenomenal but that comes with a small learning curve.

The resistance of the pellet and its ability to seal the bore acts as a "shock absorber" to the fast moving piston. Think of the automatic closers for screen doors. If you decrease the mass and/or remove the seal, the piston will come to a violent and potentially damaging stop. That is why it is said to never dryfire a spring air gun.

I have not heard of detonation from a BB. Maybe true if there is oil on it. Other than the approved, if any, oil for a spring air gun, all oil should be kept out of the barrel and compression chamber. Non approved oil will act just like diesel fuel in a diesel engine. That causes unhappy pressure spikes.

Jim
04-09-2013, 07:51 AM
Jim, you really got me going on this air rifle thing. I've been looking at one of those Rugers and it is getting mighty tempting.

Charlie, I really enjoy mine. The hi viz sights are incredibly bright, very easy on old eyes. The rear sight is fully adjustable for windage and elevation with knobs, which means no screwdriver required. Here is a link to the rifle at AIR GUN DEPOT (http://www.airgundepot.com/ruger-blackhawk-air-rifle.html).

The other day, I was messin' with it and, just for kicks and giggles, I put a pellet in backwards. It's just as accurate as shooting it forward!

I have the top of a 55 gallon barrel that I shoot at like a gong set up about 75 yards from the front steps. Again, just messin' around, I put two pellets in the chamber. I fired at the gong and heard 'tonk, tonk'. That surprised me.

It's a lot of fun to shoot, but after a coupla' dozen shots, I have to quit with it. 'Bout the only down side to this for me is, it's tough on my arthritic elbows cockin' it.

Jim
04-09-2013, 08:03 AM
For better or worse, a lot has changed in airguns since we were kids. Sheridan and Benjamin have since been bought by Crosman and changed for the worse. Even some of Crosman and Daisy's gun have been devolved. Meanwhile the spring air guns have improved. That accuracy and power phenomenal but that comes with a small learning curve.

The resistance of the pellet and its ability to seal the bore acts as a "shock absorber" to the fast moving piston. Think of the automatic closers for screen doors. If you decrease the mass and/or remove the seal, the piston will come to a violent and potentially damaging stop. That is why it is said to never dryfire a spring air gun.

I have not heard of detonation from a BB. Maybe true if there is oil on it. Other than the approved, if any, oil for a spring air gun, all oil should be kept out of the barrel and compression chamber. Non approved oil will act just like diesel fuel in a diesel engine. That causes unhappy pressure spikes.

NOW I understand. Thanks, Joe! I'm familiar with the diesel syndrome, but never thought about that with respect to an air rifle. 'Preciate you clearin' that up for me.

Swamp Man
04-09-2013, 08:09 AM
Jim I has RA and know what you mean about it being though on the old bones. I wear a wrist and elbow brace if I'm going to be shooting a lot they work great. If you don't have braces you may want to try a Ace bandage.

GT27
04-09-2013, 07:21 PM
Sounds to me like the slingshot's are going to make a comeback,unless rocks will end up regulated also...

P.K.
04-09-2013, 10:10 PM
Sounds to me like the slingshot's are going to make a comeback,unless rocks will end up regulated also...

Yup, pretty useful too on cats in the garbage. ;-)

Blacksmith
04-10-2013, 02:07 AM
Remember airguns take special scopes made for air guns because the recoil of the spring piston will shake apart even a good conventional scope.

rexherring
04-10-2013, 11:11 AM

I've had one of the Rugers for a couple years now to take care of the cottontail bunnies that like my garden produce. Great little gun with a 4X older Tasco scope on it. The new "Ballistic Tip" type pellets are great, they shoot flatter and really have a terminal effect on anything they hit.

http://www.airgundepot.com/gamo-150-ct-red-fire-177-pellets.html

firefly1957
04-11-2013, 04:21 PM
I just got some new bands for my wrist rocket to practice up with it as well.