PDA

View Full Version : Finally the results I've been looking for a very long time.

jeepyj
04-07-2013, 08:48 PM
First off I would like to thank the powers that be for this great website. I have been searching / researching for a cast boolit that would shoot consistent through my blackhawk for the better part of 30 years off and on. As we all know we gather knowledge for our interests and apply that knowledge to gain experience to become proficient but we don't always obtain the results that we desire. Sometimes we simply don't understand why. For me, more or less until now this has been the case with my Ruger Blackhawk. While I've never had any problems with the jword bullets but I've struggled with the cast boolits. Well after lurking and reading then joining in and still reading and all the while testing and re-testing. I came to the conclusion that I simple had the wrong boolit.
The original problem started many years ago when I was sold a casting setup by a local shop. Well thinking of it now and looking back I think over all the basic mould and sizer should have been okay but just was a but to small for that old piece of iron. The original mould was a single hole Lyman 357443 and the sizer was a .357". All the boolits that it dropped were to small for my gun after using a mic they measured .356-.357 the sizer did basically nothing except to add lube. Finally after trying different lube, a different crimp ring I read about swedging the the barrel and and it all started to come together I simply needed a bigger bullet.
Well thanks again to this wonderful site I put a WTB in for a 358477 and had a reply within a very short time and I already had a .358 sizer. 24 hours after receiving the testing started and now after the weekend the official test results are in...picture #1 is my cast boolits, Pictures #2 and #3 are some of the groups at 60 feet
The last was after tweaking the sight a bit.
Thanks again for a great place to hang out, learn and deal with genuine good people.
Jeepyj
PS spelling and grammar not quite my strong point but I think I get my sediments across

TXGunNut
04-07-2013, 09:27 PM
Good job, nicely done!

williamwaco
04-07-2013, 09:33 PM
That 358477 is an all time favorite of lots of hand gunners.

missionary5155
04-07-2013, 10:21 PM
Greetings
Well that is great news. Thirty years is an awful long time to have to be searching.
Now that you have one that works well I would like to recommend one of my favorites for thumping critters. The 358429. Have used this for maybe 20 years and have never been disapointed with results. Mine drops at .360 with WW. 50-50 drops out just a bit smaller and really tears a nice hole on the way out. Used mainly in my DW 15-2 and Marlin lever carbine makes for a nice hunting pair and anything I can see under 75 yards is in for a world of hurt. 12 grains of 2400 scoots it right along.
MIke in Peru

45sixgun
04-07-2013, 10:31 PM
Congrats! What a good feeling. I've just had some really good experience with a Lyman bullet myself, but a different caliber. Now, reading your experience, I want to get a 358477 too. Thanks for sharing.

PS Paul
04-07-2013, 10:35 PM
The RCBS 150 KT is pretty much a close reproduction of that 358477 and is a favorite of mine in a security six. Great boolit, 45. You'll like it.

45sixgun
04-08-2013, 12:04 AM
The RCBS 150 KT is pretty much a close reproduction of that 358477 and is a favorite of mine in a security six. Great boolit, 45. You'll like it.

Nice. The Lyman mould isn't available at Midway, but your 150 KT is. Might be going that route. (And that security six sure is a fine gun!)

Wayne Smith
04-08-2013, 09:09 AM
Congratulations! And yes, you did get your sentiments across, but not your sediments! Spelling does count. I don't think anything settled out yet, you still have some 20 shot groups to shoot to make sure you have consistency.

theperfessor
04-08-2013, 09:35 AM
I've got the 357433 and never had any good luck with it, even sized to .358. The -477 and -429 I can heartily agree with as being good bullets that perform well in most guns. The -477 seems a little easier to get to shoot closer to the POA of fixed sight .38s, and the RN -311 is great for duplicating factory .38 legacy loads.

IMHO RCBS makes better molds now than Lyman, but only in a two cavity version. Older Lyman four cavity molds in these styles often come up for sale here and elsewhere.

jeepyj
04-08-2013, 06:25 PM
Yes sentiments.That's what happens when I use those ten dollar words. The groups that are shown in the photos were repeated about fifteen times on paper with very similar results then another 4 or 5 times at some other targets for fun
One thing I had forgot to mention the boolits were loaded with 5 grains of Unique

Congratulations! And yes, you did get your sentiments across, but not your sediments! Spelling does count. I don't think anything settled out yet, you still have some 20 shot groups to shoot to make sure you have consistency.