PDA

View Full Version : 3 gun duel Modern Vs cowboy

dakotashooter2
04-07-2013, 06:31 PM
Was watch a program the other night where they had the cowboy action shooters pitted against the semi auto crowd on a CAS course. I didn't see the end results but from the few runs I saw the CAS shooters were kicking butt. The only place the semi auto guys seemed to have the advantage was the shotgun...............

LUBEDUDE
04-07-2013, 11:59 PM
Usually the Cowboys win at these matches. But to be fair, they ARE playing the Cowboy's game.

Now if the tables were switched, and the Cowboys had to play on a Police course at longer ranges, then it may play out differently maybe. Maybe not.

Would be interesting to see.

TXGunNut
04-08-2013, 12:02 AM
Bring it on over to the PPC range, CAS boys! If my clothing budget was less limited I'd return the favor. :kidding:

sundog
04-08-2013, 12:46 AM
Y'all are talkin' smack. :-D:-D:-Dwink

The games are fun, but if y'all ever have to do any of this stuff for real, then at least some/most of the skill is transferable. That could mean a lot. A lot.

Besides, cowboys are..., well, they just are. Never could figger out how anyone in Oklahoma would git tied up with,... well never mind.

In the mean time, keep at it. Friends at the range are good friends. A little healthy competition is good fer the soul.

Main thing is the 'bad guys', are kept at bay!!!

dakotashooter2
04-08-2013, 10:04 AM
Usually the Cowboys win at these matches. But to be fair, they ARE playing the Cowboy's game.

Now if the tables were switched, and the Cowboys had to play on a Police course at longer ranges, then it may play out differently maybe. Maybe not.

I agree but the point is at self defense ranges an accomplished shooter with NON SEMI AUTO guns can be every bit as effective. Would be interesting to see. Kind of dispels the idea that semi auto is ALWAYS king............

Might be an interesting viewing for the anti semi auto crowd to demonstrate semi autos may not be as much an advantage as they thought. But they would turn it around and say then why do you need semi auto's.

Doc Highwall
04-08-2013, 10:14 AM
But how would the cowboys do with full power loads? I always thought that the loads for adults should be equivalent to full power black powder loads, same weight bullet at the same velocity +/- 50 fps.

dakotashooter2
04-08-2013, 03:28 PM
That is a good point but I believe the semi auto guys also use reduced loads, just heavy enough to cycle the gun, for match shooting.

BD
04-08-2013, 07:03 PM
Most sanctioned action pistol matches require that the loads meet a "power factor" of 165, (bullet weight in grains X velocity in FPS divided by 1,000). This pretty much eliminates powder puff loads. As I understand it, Cowboy Action only requires that the boolits make it out the end of the barrel. There are plenty of revolver shooters in the action pistol disciplines. They don't keep up with the semi autos, but they're not far behind. I can easily see them winning at their own game. Up here in the north woods there are often guys in the three gun shots using lever actions and while they never win, they are also not that far behind.
I entered my first three gun match using a 1911, my stock 16 gauge M12 pump and my bolt action truck gun, (stripper clips). I didn't win, but I didn't come in last either. Anybody with a firearm that they know well can be a formidable opponent.
BD

Red Sky
04-08-2013, 07:07 PM
Most sanctioned action pistol matches require that the loads meet a "power factor" of 165, (bullet weight in grains X velocity in FPS divided by 1,000). This pretty much eliminates powder puff loads.

165 is the power factor to make major in IPSC - you can compete in minor with a PF of 125, if I remember correctly (peripheral hits are scored worse - good hits no different). In production division, the primary division in terms of number of competitors now, there is no major PF and everyone uses 125+. IDPA is similar to production, except that CDP division (the 1911 one, basically) requires .45 ACP and a PF of 165.

Just for everyone's info.

repawn
04-08-2013, 07:32 PM
I think I saw that show - shooting gallery - the cas shooters competed against 3 gun shooters in both cas and 3 gun events - the cas team won on the overall score for both events - but didn't do as well with the 3 gun - still did so much better on the cas events that the 3 gun team had a lot of ground to make up.

x101airborne
04-08-2013, 07:46 PM
Hmmmm... What would Jerry Miculek (sp) say?
Competitions are just that, competitions. Put two people in a long field with a couple unknown range targets with full power loads and lets see.
In my own experience, when I got knocked on my posterior by a hog that I thought was dead, I would not have been able to put six shots in her in under 3 seconds with a revolver before she ate me. And I dont mean in a good way.

garym1a2
04-08-2013, 08:43 PM
For what its worth some top uspsa and 3gun shooters got their start in Cowboy shooting. If you can handle a 1897, an 870 or Benelli is eaisier. Same with handguns and rifles, the cowboy shooters learn to handle the guns and shoot fast.

BD
04-08-2013, 09:40 PM
I stand corrected. I had completely forgotten about the "minor", having only competed with 1911s, regardless of the discipline. PF of 125 is still not a wimp load in bores smaller than .45
BD