PDA

View Full Version : Off-center flash holes

Sherlok
08-28-2007, 05:26 PM
I have a quantity of 1960's era 7.62 NATO L.C. brass that I am preping for cast loads. I segregated a number of them that have noticably off-center flash holes.

Has anyone experienced any significant degradation to accuracy using brass with off-center flash holes? I made unsucessful searches about this topic on several sites (even bench rest where they seem obsessed with everything).

Thanks,
Sherlok

Shiloh
08-28-2007, 07:52 PM
How noticeable ??

I have some '06 military brass that are a little off center. No problems to speak of in the '03.

Problems may manifest themselves in a tighter chambered, fine tuned target rifle, but thats a question best answered by those who shoot that kind of rifle.

Shiloh :castmine:

JeffinNZ
08-28-2007, 08:08 PM
I have pulled 2 or 3 from my last batch of 100 RP cases in .303 British.

I put them aside for dummy rounds. Figure that an offset flash hole is another variable I can do without.

Hip's Ax
08-28-2007, 09:37 PM
I throw the off center ones in the off hand practice pile. With the way I shoot standing if it makes a difference I'll never see it! :lol:

Newtire
08-28-2007, 09:52 PM
I can't see it making any difference at all in cast boolit shooting with cases not at full capacity anyway. It do make a difference when you break a de-priming pin & don't have another to replace it. If brass is easy to get, I'd pitch it just for the reason of breaking the pin.

S.R.Custom
08-29-2007, 12:43 AM
Indeed. Whenever I run across a case that the decapping pin has a problem with, I bin it. Life's too short.

Lee
08-29-2007, 04:06 AM
Find some "AMERC" .45ACP brass. Flash hole is on the shoulder of the primer pocket:shock:
Do what I did. Dumped all of that stuff.
Oh, and did I mention that some primer pockets were so oversize the primer would fall out while going thru the reloading press?
Pure junk............................Lee:wink:

Newtire
08-29-2007, 08:33 AM
Find some "AMERC" .45ACP brass. Flash hole is on the shoulder of the primer pocket:shock:
Do what I did. Dumped all of that stuff.
Oh, and did I mention that some primer pockets were so oversize the primer would fall out while going thru the reloading press?
Pure junk............................Lee:wink:

There was an earlier thread on the AMERC stuff and noone had anything good to say either. The stuff I had all split on the first reload in an M-1 carbine. would be great if they got it together and then we could have another source of good useable brass. I heard the earlier Federal .32 mag brass was just like it but they worked out the problem.

Sherlok
08-29-2007, 01:10 PM
Your replys are about what I thought too.

One handy thing to have when decapping military brass is Lee's ingenious decapping die. It eliminates pin breakage by allowing the decapping rod to slide upward if it meets too much resistance such as a way off center flash hole or a Berdan case.

Thanks, Sherlok