PDA

View Full Version : Off to Range. First trip 2013

Shiloh
04-06-2013, 01:55 PM
Have some 9mm with a load of 4.1 gr Unique, and 4.4 gr. LEE 125 gr RN.
Have some .38's LEE 125 gr. RF at 5.2 Unique.
Have some .357's LEE 125 gr. at 6.0 gr. Unique.

and.... half a brick of 22's

First time since Dec. 2012. I've been warned. The range is a sloppy mess with standing water in area.
Gonna know for myself in less than 15 minutes.

Shiloh

freebullet
04-06-2013, 02:53 PM
Yer real late, been out several times through the winter. Have fun be safe, don't shoot the 22. I hear its worth more than gold.

captain-03
04-06-2013, 03:07 PM
Have fun!! Guess I am one of the lucky ones ..... visit the range daily!! ... sometimes twice a day ...

Shiloh
04-06-2013, 04:41 PM
Not many from the .22. By the time I got done with the center fire, it was starting to rain. We have baffles over the plate range and it is dark down there when it is overcast. I had no paint and the few plates are hard to see. Range work day is at the end of the month, and the plate fixture will get welded back up.

It gets brutal cold here, and I think the steel is affected. When there are not a lot of people around, people shoot the plates with magnum rounds which is forbidden. It isn't the AP plates that are effected, but the half inch or larger bolts that get damaged. We may have to go with a Grade 5 or Grade 8 bolt.

Geez was it nice to put some rounds downrange. I shot pretty well, but will take another trip or two and a couple hundred more rounds to get back up to snuff.

Shiloh

runfiverun
04-06-2013, 07:17 PM
we ended up drilling the bolts and not using a nut and then used cotter pins in the holes.

Shiloh
04-06-2013, 09:01 PM
Were going to have to do something runfiverun.

Even though the bolts are protected by the faceplate, the stress put on them by thousands of rounds fatigues them. Then when the hardy souls
have too much cabin fever shoot plates with magnum rounds when it is single digits or colder, they break.

Shiloh

jdgabbard
04-07-2013, 12:54 AM
Slacker... I've been to the range at least twice a month ever since the year started. And if I wasn't so busy with work, I'd go a lot more ;)

Wayne Smith
04-07-2013, 01:18 PM
Made it to the range yesterday, also for the first time this year. See "just plain fun" thread.