PDA

View Full Version : Looking to comission a custom knife.

x101airborne
04-06-2013, 01:22 PM
Howdy all.
Calling all those home hobbyist knife makers out there.
I am looking to comission a custom knife. I have some Oryx horn I would like for the handle, but no blade or pommel or anything else. What I am thinking of is a period 1800's style knife. Something with about a 5 inch handle and about a 6 inch blade. I have no reservations about blade shape (yet) and am open to ideas and designs. I recently purchased a used book called "Firearms, Traps, and Tools of the Mountain Men" for ideas only to find some lowlife tore out the entire section on knives. Dirty son of a so and so. And over a 10.00 book.
Anyhow, I would like the knife to be made and include a custom fitted sheath with a second sheath to be sewn onto the inside of a high top (mule ear) boot to wear while hog hunting. Both sheaths would not need a snap, but use a mid handle height sheath for retention. As far as blade construction, I have often dreamt of damascus, but in our humidity, I dont know. I am looking into layered steel, soft - hard - soft, but I am ignorant as to how that all works.
Anyway, it must hold a razors edge when properly maintained. And dont say that anything will hold an edge properly maintianed. It wont, it dont, and I maintain all my knives by hand and have all my life. So any experience with steels would be appreciated. I am looking to spend about 500.00 for my birthday on a knife. The knife to end all knives.
So anyone having experience with these type of high end knives, either building or buying, please speak up.

km101
04-06-2013, 07:45 PM
Check out Knifemaker's Guild.com. There are some superb craftsmen there. I have not made anything in 20 years, so I'm outa' touch with who is making good stuff now, but the guild is a good place to start.

Damascus will probably be a little higher than your budget unless things have really changed. But I would recommend that you handle as many knives as possible and look at lots of pictures to determine what you want. I made at least a dozen knives before I got all the details included in my perfect knife, and then a couple of years later, I had changed my mind again. So just like guns, there is probably no "one knife fits all" or does everything you want a knife to do. Decide which features you want the most and go for it.

And be prepared to wait! Good knifemakers, like good gunsmiths have a backlog of orders and the better the craftsman, the longer the wait! Depending on the 'smith, you may have to wait 12-18 months or even more.

Good luck!

shooter93
04-06-2013, 07:48 PM
I like Damascus alright but D2 is very hard to beat for a knife. I have Stainless to but unless it just a general pocket knife type I'll take D2. My Randalls and Doziers are made with it and are wonderful tools.

x101airborne
04-06-2013, 09:03 PM
Thank you, men. All opinions appreciated. I thought 500.00 was extreme for a custom knife and guess I was wrong. I am gonna have to do some more lookin. 500 is the top of my budget.

Blacksmith
04-06-2013, 09:56 PM
You might want to post this over on the Custom Knife section of the Outdoorsman section.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?92-Custom-Knife-making

Lead Fred
04-06-2013, 10:15 PM
You want historical?

This is Jim Bowies first design. You can use your handle material if the one on it isnt to your liking.

Ive had to knife smiths say this is the finest blade anyone has ever brought to them.

There is a hard case that is better than the soft one.

Its light, and fast like a knife fighting blade should be. They have a smaller version too.

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=1425

TXGunNut
04-06-2013, 10:15 PM
I've made a few knives with components available @ Track of the Wolf. They're nothing fancy as you can see over in the outdoorsman section. I made them to suit me and they work well in the field and the kitchen. I've learned to appreciate the high carbon steel blanks they sell, my knives are awesome for taking and keeping an edge. They even have some sheaths that fit quite well and are well-made to boot.
I'm not saying you should make your dream knife but after making a few I've acquired an appreciation for the art. It was a project to see if I had the patience to make one of those percussion rifles you see components for in TOW....I don't, BTW. Mebbe someday, after I make a few more knives.

.30/30 Guy
04-07-2013, 08:54 AM
Try Ron Rosenbaugh - I have one of his custom knives and he does great work.

try rosenbaughknives.com

x101airborne
04-07-2013, 09:20 AM
http://www.idahoknifeworks.com/hfishing.htm

I was taken with the nessmuk design. Might want the blade a little longer, though.

Wooly
04-07-2013, 11:26 AM
I can give you an email address.FROGSTKR@WIR.NET Be specific with him,so it comes out as you want it. I have a knife he did & while work is excellent,I wasn`t specific on a couple details. Overall,knife is nice.

waksupi
04-07-2013, 11:27 AM
http://www.idahoknifeworks.com/hfishing.htm

I was taken with the nessmuk design. Might want the blade a little longer, though.

I've known Mike for many years, he will make a knife any way you want it.

knifemaker
04-07-2013, 12:07 PM
X101Airborn;

I would stay away from Damascus steel for your knife based on your description of the knife's intended use and location. Damascus is pretty, but will rust and stain from blood and moisture even if you try to keep the steel clean and dry.
I would consider using S30V stainless steel, or D-2 steel and have it heat treated to a hardness of 60RC for better cutting edge retention. I make knives, but of a more modern design then the 1800 period knife you described. I will try and include a picture of a knife that a customer had me design for him. He hunts wild pigs with a bow and wanted a knife that he could go into the heavy brush and use it to finish off the wounded pig. He is also a knife collector and wanted it a little fancy for a field knife.66662

TXGunNut
04-07-2013, 12:17 PM
I like the Nessmuk as well, looks quite a bit like the camp knife I built. It's about as long as I like a knife used for skinning, mebbe a bit longer.

knifemaker
04-07-2013, 12:27 PM
6666866668X101Airborne;

here is a side photo of the knife for a better idea of the knife's overall design.

montana_charlie
04-07-2013, 01:31 PM
You might want to post this over on the Custom Knife section of the Outdoorsman section.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?92-Custom-Knife-making
Didn't DUKE NUKEM get a knife section started here back in January?

Love Life
04-07-2013, 01:32 PM
That is a work of art, Knifemaker.

Bad Water Bill
04-07-2013, 04:25 PM
MAMA said make a good choice. It is going to have to last you a long time.:bigsmyl2:

Just remember beauty will not cut any faster or safer.

x101airborne
04-07-2013, 04:45 PM
Absolutely right. I don't need fancy or beautiful. I need a PREMIUM blade to work with.

Thanks to everyone who posted pics of their beauties. Gives me lots of ideas.

I made a Bowie (well, cobbled together a knife) out of an old crosscut saw blade, deer antler handle. That is some great steel. Cant hardly dull it. Wish I had some more of that steel. Dang fine stuff for a blade.

Bad Water Bill
04-07-2013, 04:54 PM
Many years ago I picked up a 2 man saw somewhere in N Wisconsin. Do not think the kiddies would let me ship that thing your way:evil:

Probably a lifetime supply for you.:grin:

shooter93
04-07-2013, 07:22 PM
The Nessmuk is definately an old classic. If you get the Backwoodsman magazine there are several makers adverstsing in it that make knives like what I think you're looking for. Warning though....if you buy a copy at the news stand....you're going to subscribe.....lol.

knifemaker
04-07-2013, 07:30 PM
That crosscut saw blade was probably L-6 steel. It will make a good blade, but will not match S30V steel in holding a razor sharp edge. The heat treating is the key to a good blade that will hold a great edge. You can get the best steel in the world and with a poor heat treating you end with a mediocre knife at best.

For a long time high carbon steel reign supreme in edge holding ability against the stainless steel. SS30V stainless was made by CPM at the request of knife makers and it closed the gap big time for edge holding ability and toughness and abrasion resistance. Being a stainless it is highly rust resistance and high carbon steel will rust very fast unless you are very paticular about caring for your knife after use in the field. I guess that is why S30V is so darn high price. It runs me about 2 bucks a inch for the 5/32 flat bars I order.

x101airborne
04-07-2013, 09:28 PM
Thanks, and I would gladly pay 2.00 an inch for superior blade. GLADLY.

Monttexan
04-07-2013, 09:29 PM
I'm currently having a custom knife made. Here's a link to an auction the guy has going on GunBroker. The knife I'm having made is based off of one of his designs, but with my modifications, and my selection for handle material, etc. it is going to cost more than the base auction price, but shouldn't be too much more...
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=334495510

Another alternative is this guy, in Spring, TX. I spoke to him at the Robstown gun show a few years ago....he has some damn fine designs too, and does excellent work.

http://www.knivesbythomas.com/index.html

Good luck finding the right craftsman to make your blade!

x101airborne
04-07-2013, 09:32 PM
so where do you order that s30v steel from?

knifemaker
04-07-2013, 11:03 PM
I normally get my S30V steel from Admiral Steel company, but buying from them you have to order the flat bars in 6 foot lenghts. You can also get it from Jantz knife Company in shorter lenghts. For what you are wanting, you may want to get the flats bars that are 5/32 in thickness, and 1-1/2 to 2 inches in width. I believe Jantz will sell it in 18 and 36 inch lenghts.

The heat treating process for S30V is not as simple as for high carbon steel. You have to place the steel in a airtight SS foil and get it up 1950 degrees and hold that temp for about 20-25 minutes. It is a air cooled steel, no oil quench, but I use alum. pressure plates to quench that drops the temp from 1950 to 100 degrees in about 3 minutes. Hardness will be about 64RC. Then you do a triple, 3 times, tempering process at 550 degrees for two hours each time. If done right you will be dead on at 60RC which that steel is designed for best preformance as a blade.

It is not a steel to be used by a beginning knife maker, nor is D-2 steel a good steel for a beginner.

x101airborne
04-08-2013, 10:37 AM
I am glad you laid that out for me. I sure dont have either the tools, setup, or experience for any of that. I did pick up a broken buckboard wagon seat spring out of the pasture the other day. I may try to anneal and beat it out a little and see what I come up with. I have an oxy acetalene setup and if I am careful not to overheat it, I think I could do a small blade.