PDA

View Full Version : Things you learned the hard way!

Big Rack
04-06-2013, 12:54 PM
Saw this on the SASS Wire and thought it may be an interesting thread here.

For myself:
If you grow hot peppers and if you let them dry on the vine and if you use a blender to grind them, make real sure you wash your hands before taking a leak!! My wife sure thought it was funny watching me squirm a little and then run for the cold water.

TheGrimReaper
04-06-2013, 05:12 PM
Wash your hand REALLY good after putting in some Copenhagen and then putting in your contact lenses!!!

BD
04-06-2013, 05:17 PM
1.Think about where you are exactly before you pull the trigger on anything that weighs more than you do.
2. marriage (is there an "easy" way to learn about marriage?)
BD

Blammer
04-06-2013, 05:32 PM
You have to have your Ball Glove UP if you do not want to catch a ball in the face.

Char-Gar
04-06-2013, 05:41 PM
Know where your fingers are BEFORE you fold a knife.

TXGunNut
04-06-2013, 06:03 PM
Tinsel fairy is always in the neighborhood and molten lead is very, very hot.

rush1886
04-06-2013, 06:07 PM

For myself:
If you grow hot peppers and if you let them dry on the vine and if you use a blender to grind them, make real sure you wash your hands before taking a leak!! My wife sure thought it was funny watching me squirm a little and then run for the cold water.

It don't matter who you are, that's funny right there!!!

Personally, never ask another person to turn off circuit breaker #12! If you want something done right, do it yourself--just sayin!!

TXGunNut
04-06-2013, 06:14 PM
Always wash your hands after handling lead-acid batteries. Have lost many pairs of perfectly good, generally nearly new jeans as I handle them on a regular basis. And there was that one trip to the bathroom...

jeepyj
04-06-2013, 06:25 PM
If thinking that you can hold that piece of steel with your hand rather than clamping it when using a hole saw on a drill press. Quite likely your going to be proven wrong.
Jeepyj

P.K.
04-06-2013, 07:13 PM
How about "seen" ?

Never stomp out a small fire on your front porch.....:bigsmyl2:

wch
04-06-2013, 07:14 PM
Never have an argument with an idiot, you'll just make him angry and frustrate yourself.

PULSARNC
04-06-2013, 07:16 PM
Never take someone elses word that the power is off to a circuit you are about to work on . Check to see that the water is cutoff before you put the recipircating saw to that piece of pvc pipe.

41 mag fan
04-06-2013, 07:43 PM
Something my BIL told me once.....and i laughed and laughed about it.

Don't get drunk, get the munchies and eat 2 big boxes of laughy taffy.
The next morning after sitting on the pot pushing and pushing and trying, it got stuck!!
He took a spatula to it, with no avail, finally used a pair of tongs and got it unstuck.
He says it was so bad he had 911 on his ph ready to hit the call button!!!

Also, don't wash the spatula and tongs and put them back in the kitchen, throw them away!! He did do that right!

bbs70
04-06-2013, 09:09 PM
Raising 2 daughters

TCoggins
04-06-2013, 09:31 PM
When installing laminate countertops, they screw to the cabinets from below. Always,always,always, double check that the screw is not long enough to extend though the top of the laminate.

Nuff said.

Tim

Love Life
04-06-2013, 09:37 PM
Alcohol does not, contrary to popular belief, actually make you 10 ft tall and add another 100 lbs of solid muscle.

Skill does not always defeat brute force and strength

Getting pulled behind a car on a bicycle is not as good an idea as it sounds.

Make sure you jump far enough to clear the ledge of the pool.

I can go for days...

Heavy lead
04-06-2013, 09:42 PM
Can I list the things I learned the easy way instead?

List is below:

historicfirearms
04-06-2013, 09:46 PM
Don't melt beeswax in your wife's good stockpot. And definitely don't give her a new pot as a Christmas gift, just replace it with a new one before she notices.

dagger dog
04-06-2013, 10:43 PM
" You don't tug on Superman's Cape"
" You don't P!$$ into the wind"
" Don't pull the mask of the Ole Lone Ranger"
and
You don't make a 22 Magnum by pulling the bullets out of 2 rounds of LR, dump the powder from one into the other, reseat the bullet into the one with the double charge, put it into your trusty Mossberg 420 Palomino lever action rifle pull the trigger.

Yeah I did that when I was 13, you know that didn't even booger the rifle, can't say that it did much for my fingers that were in the lever, lost a little hide and some off my butt too, when the old man helped me pick some brass out my right cheek, lucky I wore glasses, could've lost an eye.

472x1B/A
04-06-2013, 10:45 PM
Don't wear your pant leg cuffs rolled UP when welding or using a cutting torch.

Or weld in a 39 foot deep grain leg pit with out letting the dust settle first. Grain dust makes a very loud boom.

arjacobson
04-06-2013, 11:01 PM
A tooth that has been bothering you will NOT get better.. It will go very bad at the worst time... get it fixed NOW

GL49
04-07-2013, 01:37 AM
When you jump up into the back of a buddy's pickup for more beer when rattlesnake hunting, make sure all of the "dead" snakes you've thrown in the back really are. This leads to the second lesson:

When a dead snake is coiled up in front of a tavern door so you can watch the action, the bartender doesn't think it is nearly as funny as you do.

archmaker
04-07-2013, 08:53 AM
Always make sure the sharp edge is UP when you use your leg to close the blade (High school, in class - And yeah I had to leave and go to the gym to get it taped shut - The football coach just kept laughing at me).

DCP
04-07-2013, 09:04 AM
Its ok to check gas fittings with a match, like my grandfather and father did, as long as you don't smell gas.
(never did smell gas when they did it)
Boy was I lucky

MtGun44
04-07-2013, 10:37 AM
Watch out for a horse's rear feet. Either in contact with hand on his rump, or
10+ ft back. This can turn ugly in between. Verified through actual field
testing.

Bill

BRobertson
04-07-2013, 03:24 PM
Don't leave your flight bag with your 3" Mod. 629 in it, on the table , so that your pysco ex-wife from hell can get to it,

and proceed to part your hair with it, ( 240 Sierra at 1200fps).

Bob

fishin_bum
04-07-2013, 04:09 PM
When making beeswax candles for Rendezvous DONT place the mold in the sink to fill it! A 12 candle mold holds enough wax to clog the drain for almost 12 feet! The good note: After replacing the drain line I had over 20 feet of pre-fluxed lead pipe for boolits.

opos
04-07-2013, 04:17 PM
Never wrap your thumb around the handle on a tractor crank.

Never stand close to a wringer washer with wringers in operation (one for the ladies).

Don't assume the deer is dead

Never trust the farm pet dairy bull...same with the old sow with pigs.

10x
04-07-2013, 06:01 PM
Never force any thing, just use a bigger hammer.

and

A big hammer will move an object while a small hammer will destroy it.

So much for tools with one moving part.

You can bet that any tool that has a moving part will break the moving part if you use it wrong, or long enough.

Shooter
04-07-2013, 06:24 PM
You don't make a 22 Magnum by pulling the bullets out of 2 rounds of LR, dump the powder from one into the other, reseat the bullet into the one with the double charge, put it into your trusty Mossberg 420 Palomino lever action rifle pull the trigger.

Yeah I did that when I was 13, you know that didn't even booger the rifle, can't say that it did much for my fingers that were in the lever, lost a little hide and some off my butt too, when the old man helped me pick some brass out my right cheek, lucky I wore glasses, could've lost an eye.

Nor do you replace the lead bullet with a 50 Gr. jacketed .224.
I turned my head before I touched it off. It blew the action open on my Remington rolling block.

Idaho Mule
04-07-2013, 08:21 PM
When running a chainsaw, use those chainsaw chaps. Nuff said. JW

starmac
04-07-2013, 08:26 PM
The wheels on an office chair will burn up in less than a mile at 40 mph.
Once office chair wheels start to smoke it is way too late to stop.

DeanWinchester
04-07-2013, 08:35 PM
Pay attention and don't assume based on your theoretical experience. I recently sized and loaded several 30/30's, it was all RP brass....or so I was told when I bought them. Ohh they were all Rp all right! RP .32 Specials. Doh!!!

ryan28
04-07-2013, 09:38 PM
Don't load 100 45-70 blackpowder cartridges unless you are absolutely certain that those new bullets won't lead the everliving ***** out of your barrel after only 5 rounds. Done that twice now, I think I'm good to go.

Larry D.
04-07-2013, 10:26 PM
Never, I repeat NEVER squeeze off a round from a 1911 inside a Volkswagen with no headliner!
I didn't do it, but I was in the passenger seat when the driver spotted a target of opportunity on my side of the car........

Sweetpea
04-07-2013, 10:32 PM
Never, I repeat NEVER squeeze off a round from a 1911 inside a Volkswagen with no headliner!
I didn't do it, but I was in the passenger seat when the driver spotted a target of opportunity on my side of the car........

I'll one-up ya, Larry D... NEVER try it in a 1968 Dodge Pickup that is all steel inside with a Blackhawk in 30 CARBINE!!!!!

The blast freed up every little bit of loose dust in that cab, and I'm pretty sure there was blood coming from our ears... but I think I my have repressed some of my memory of the incident!

JeffinNZ
04-08-2013, 05:36 AM
Don't hold an object in your palm while drilling I hole. Flesh is not very resistant to a drill bit.

Sensai
04-08-2013, 06:43 AM
They call them "welding" gloves for a reason !!

avogunner
04-08-2013, 06:50 AM
Never pi$$ through/over an electric fence.

**oneshot**
04-08-2013, 06:58 AM
Never rest the heel of a pistol on your knee to get a steadier shot at that deer. My buddy thought I shot myself.

TheDoctor
04-08-2013, 07:29 AM
When you are a kid shooting a ruger MKII for the first time, make sure there is an adult with you that is paying attention. AND...ensures your thumb is BELOW the bolt before you pull the trigger.

RobS
04-08-2013, 08:45 AM
Not putting a old pot under my Lee 10# dripper when warming it up. I came back and had a nice little mess and lucky to not have burned anything down.

shredder
04-08-2013, 08:56 AM
Never Ever have more than one powder on the bench. I got a powder measure for Christmas many years ago and with the excitement of Christmas decided to go measure every powder in my collection to see how they would all flow and measure. 2 got mixed returning powder to the cans after a trip upstairs to refresh the coffee. Thank god for Mauser actions. I still have my fingers and face. The bolt in my rifle however was toast after I hammered it open to reveal the cartridge support lug on the bolt face sheared off, primer vaporized.

Case Stuffer
04-08-2013, 09:31 AM
Never Ever have more than one powder on the bench.

This should be the first safety rule for all reloaders.

Not only do I only have one can of powder at a time on the bench I use painter's blue tape and write the powder type and the powder charging setting ( bushing) on this label and taped to powder column.

Never had a squid or overcharged load but have read of others experiences and some mistakes are best learned second hand IMO.

Wal'
04-08-2013, 09:48 AM
Make sure you have a comfortable working height when casting ingots on a different casting bench!!!!
Happened today & my back is still killing me !!!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :mad:

popper
04-08-2013, 10:26 AM
Let's see, which of these did I not learn the hard way - thinking, thinking. Shucks, don't arc weld without a long sleeve shirt. That pretty blue light is hard on your skin.

ShooterAZ
04-08-2013, 10:38 AM
Don't hold your head over your melt pot when fluxing with paraffin wax...I once threw a hunk of wax in then moved in for a closer look...then POOF! I thought my wife was gonna die laughing...My mustache and eyebrows didn't think it was funny.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-08-2013, 11:08 AM
Make sure all the lugs nuts are tight.

Years and years ago, I had a 1976 Saab 99. I loved that car. I bought a set of alloy wheels with a minty set of pirellis on them from a local junkyard. I put 'em on my car.

A month later, I started hearing a clunking from the front end when I wasn't accellerating or braking.

I brought it to a small town shop that probably never seen a Saab before, I suggested it might be a CV joint. Mechanic put it on the hoist and said, YEP it's the CV, I can't repair a Saab, Good Luck getting the car home.
I was worried and had a friend follow me home...half way there, at 55 MPH, the front wheel flew off and the Brake rotor dug into the pavement on that hot MN day. The bouncing tire almost went through my friends windshield. We retrived the alloy wheel ...yep the lug bolt holes were oblong, the lug bolts on the hub looked OK. I had all the lug nuts from the original wheels in the trunk (luckily). The original lug nuts barely kept that alloy wheel (with oblong holes) on the hub...but it did and I got home. The rotor did have some "wear" from it's contact with the pavement, but brake caliper was high enough to not get damaged.

I doublecheck and triple check lug nut tightness now.
Jon

1Shirt
04-08-2013, 11:36 AM
Ah yes, life's little lessons! Mine is never to take advice from a beginner!
1Shirt!

popper
04-08-2013, 11:48 AM
Always re-tighten lug nuts on newly installed alloy rims each week for 3 weeks. They have to develop a rough surface to prevent unscrewing.

Trey45
04-08-2013, 12:15 PM
Pay attention to the old man yelling at you "don't pee on that!"
When you're 7 yrs old and pee on an electric fence it can scar you for life.

gspgundog
04-08-2013, 12:25 PM
Spent 13 hours in the saddle judging pointing dogs one time and figured that Ben Gay would help with the soreness. Stuff does not stay where you put it, my wife laughed when she found me applying lots and lots of cold water.

cattleskinner
04-08-2013, 12:48 PM
If chewing tobacco in your car, make sure the pop you are drinking and your spit bottle look COMPLETELY different.

10x
04-08-2013, 01:08 PM
Make sure all the lugs nuts are tight.

Years and years ago, I had a 1976 Saab 99. I loved that car. I bought a set of alloy wheels with a minty set of pirellis on them from a local junkyard. I put 'em on my car.

A month later, I started hearing a clunking from the front end when I wasn't accellerating or braking.

I brought it to a small town shop that probably never seen a Saab before, I suggested it might be a CV joint. Mechanic put it on the hoist and said, YEP it's the CV, I can't repair a Saab, Good Luck getting the car home.
I was worried and had a friend follow me home...half way there, at 55 MPH, the front wheel flew off and the Brake rotor dug into the pavement on that hot MN day. The bouncing tire almost went through my friends windshield. We retrived the alloy wheel ...yep the lug bolt holes were oblong, the lug bolts on the hub looked OK. I had all the lug nuts from the original wheels in the trunk (luckily). The original lug nuts barely kept that alloy wheel (with oblong holes) on the hub...but it did and I got home. The rotor did have some "wear" from it's contact with the pavement, but brake caliper was high enough to not get damaged.

I doublecheck and triple check lug nut tightness now.
Jon

A word of caution with buying used alloy rims. That great deal on used alloy rims may not be so great. A buddy of mine runs a tire shop and has guys come in a couple of times a week with used Custom alloy rims. Over half of them have at least one rim with oblong holes. And matching custom after market rims is next to impossible. The patterns seem to change every year or so.

BLTsandwedge
04-08-2013, 01:29 PM
Don't hold a golf ball for someone else to hit.
Don't sneeze into your glove.

selmerfan
04-08-2013, 01:42 PM
When loading cast boolits in rifle cartridges with relatively fast charges that have the potential for a double charge, never, ever, ever, ever charge the block then seat the bullets. Always, always, always charge a case, seat a boolit, charge a case, seat a boolit and repeat.
When your buddy hands you his revolver and says, "Try this one out", don't use your finely-honed modified Creedmore position that works so well with your Encore pistol.
When you are shooting a scoped revolver, don't use your finely-honed "taco hold" that works so well with your Encore pistol.
Never assume that you are familiar with shooting pistols if your primary pistol experience is with an Encore pistol. Consider that a rifle without a buttstock. Pistols are entirely different...

destrux
04-08-2013, 02:01 PM
I learned that a steer does not care that there's an electric fence there if he decides he doesn't like how you're walking/looking/standing. Chased me nearly a half mile right to the house and stood in the front yard waiting for me to come back out.

Also learned that if you're sweaty, unplug the extension cord before you coil it up and toss it over your shoulder.

tinsnips
04-08-2013, 02:33 PM
Everything!!

deep creek
04-08-2013, 03:17 PM
never stick weld in sandals.make sure every thing is in the clear before you zip up your pants!!

GOPHER SLAYER
04-08-2013, 05:02 PM
Many of these don'ts I've done.

BoolitSchuuter
04-08-2013, 05:09 PM
Things I learned the hard way;
1. Icy Hot is not sunburn ointment
2. Soap and water in a shower will not remove Icy Hot, but it will move it to everyplace you wash.
3. Wives think that is funny, VERY funny.

frkelly74
04-08-2013, 05:54 PM
two cannot live as cheaply as one.

x101airborne
04-08-2013, 06:23 PM

For myself:

Dont cast fishing weights while wearing flip-flops.
Dont eat a cajun boil then take a leak without washing hands first. (same results)
Dont tell the wife about ex girlfriends.
Dont shoot a flintlock into the wind.
School fundraisers suck.
If at all possible, make the wife change the kiddo first in the morning.
Dont argue with my father over optics. He wont listen.
Dont let the wife use my truck. It comes back on empty with all the mirrors and seat changed.
A 7.62x39 is a great pig gun until you see that 350 pounder.
The people running daycare are only slightly more intelligent than the kids.

scottiemom
04-08-2013, 07:47 PM
measure twice, cut once
don't believe everything people tell you
volume does not equal comprehension
always double check things are turned off or unplugged when leaving on a long car trip
don't second guess if you turned everything off before you leave on a long car trip only to drive all the way back to find out you did turn everything off
never tell your husband/wife "I told you so"

oldfart1956
04-08-2013, 08:45 PM
Don't shoot a Ruger Old Army with roundballs at a backstop of railroad ties. It will bounce back and hit you in the crackers. If you do it twice...you get to go to the emergency room. Where you get to hear repeated gales of laughter preceeded by..."AND THEN HE DID IT AGAIN!" And another tip from my brother who worked underground coal mines. Never put your finger where you wouldn't put Mr. Winkie. Think about that. Audie...the Oldfart..

Jim
04-08-2013, 08:56 PM
measure twice, cut once
don't believe everything people tell you
volume does not equal comprehension
always double check things are turned off or unplugged when leaving on a long car trip
don't second guess if you turned everything off before you leave on a long car trip only to drive all the way back to find out you did turn everything off
never tell your husband/wife "I told you so"

Yeah, really. That NEVER results in ANYTHING positive.

Bullet Caster
04-08-2013, 10:54 PM
Never, ever shoot someone else's reloads as this could lead to disastrous results. BC

Chihuahua Floyd
04-08-2013, 11:06 PM
Don't believe everything you hear.
Don't believe everything you read.
Don't believe everything you say.
Don't believe everything you think.
CF
I think I'll go to bed now.

starmac
04-08-2013, 11:39 PM
Don't believe everything you hear.
Don't believe everything you read.
Don't believe everything you say.
Don't believe everything you think.
CF

I think I'll go to bed now.

And only half of what you see. lol

km101
04-09-2013, 12:27 AM
Don't pile up a big bunch of poison ivy and burn it, and then walk through the smoke! The Emergency Room doctor will confirm that this is a BAD idea.

btroj
04-09-2013, 08:34 AM
Jim, I have learned here not to let my wife join the forum.....
Thanks for teaching us that difficult lesson, I coulda told you so......

popper
04-09-2013, 03:39 PM
Don't believe the little girl who tells you to hold onto the posts of a WWII field telephone generator, who then cranks it with a BIG smile. Or hook the coil HT lead to the seat in you brother's '49 Ford.

Harter66
04-09-2013, 05:07 PM
Same gear down as up,is a great rule,so long as you didn't double or triple the vehical weight at the top. That was a really straight rust free 66 F110.

Dont count on that powder being "dead" because it was left out.

Austrailian shepards are only partially domesticated

Harter66
04-09-2013, 05:07 PM
Same gear down as up,is a great rule,so long as you didn't double or triple the vehical weight at the top. That was a really straight rust free 66 F110.

Dont count on that powder being "dead" because it was left out.

Austrailian shepards are only partially domesticated

Area Man
04-09-2013, 06:15 PM
When bicycling, if you corner hard, do NOT pedal through the turn.

Infedelity is never a good option.

crawfobj
04-09-2013, 06:55 PM
You can get a sunburn through your jeans when stick welding. A sunburn on the inside of your thighs is unpleasant.

Jim
04-09-2013, 08:50 PM
Jim, I have learned here not to let my wife join the forum.....
Thanks for teaching us that difficult lesson, I coulda told you so......

Run that by me again?

Idaho Mule
04-09-2013, 08:57 PM
A portable corral is just that. JW

10 ga
04-09-2013, 09:25 PM
Do not lay on your back and shoot straight up at squirrels with them "new high brass 12 ga blue peters"(it was 1962). The squirrel dies and you don't shoot squirrels for a couple of days.

It's "probably" enough fuel for the motor, lets shove off and get to fishing.

If she says "it doesn't matter" thinking it really doesn't matter.

Never ever, ever, ever, ever, EVER forget your anniversary! it was 18 years ago and I'm still paying for that one.

Never ever tell any woman what you really think of St. Valentines Day.

When you get the new calendar in late December do not forget to put the next seasons hunting days marked off. First one to mark a date on the calendar is priority.

More hard learned lessons to teach but these will get you started.

10 ga

TXGunNut
04-09-2013, 09:51 PM
Never ever tell any woman what you really think of St. Valentines Day.-10 ga

Two ways of looking at that, have had a few relationships end partially because of my dedication to honesty on that matter, among others. Last GF ran herself off shortly after Valentine's Day this year, overall it was a good thing.
And Jim, regardless of what btroj said we all know your better half is a class act and we're lucky to have her here. :wink:

Gee_Wizz01
04-09-2013, 10:33 PM
Don't walk over to monster 10 pt whitetail you just "killed" and lay your rifle across his antlers like they do in all of the hunting shows, before you are SURE he is dead. Funniest thing I ever saw was bil chasing a whitetail with a rifle in his rack! When I shot the deer as it went by my stand my bil kept screaming "don't hit my rifle". When the deer jumped up the sling got hooked in his antlers and the rifle stayed with him till he hit the ground. It is also very hard to hit a running whitetail carrying a rifle when you are laughing your rear end off.

elginrunner
04-09-2013, 10:43 PM
Red headed womez is crazy :shock: Took three to figure that out.... :veryconfu

Trey45
04-09-2013, 10:53 PM

Only took me 1 to figure that out.

MT Gianni
04-09-2013, 10:58 PM
Getting pulled behind a car on a bicycle is not as good an idea as it sounds.

I spent many hours in the parking lot of the nearby school surfing with my brother on a skateboard behind a VW bug. no helmets, no pads and no major scars. I really enjoyed those years.

Just because you know more than your schoolteacher/Professor/instructor is no reason to let them know it. I wasted a lot of years on that one.

MOcaster
04-09-2013, 11:26 PM
Always let you neighbors know when you are setting off an exploding rifle target.

waksupi
04-09-2013, 11:42 PM
A portable corral is just that. JW

With a bull in them, they can make pretty good head way, too!

runfiverun
04-10-2013, 12:46 AM
no matter how broke the fence is on the other side of the pig pen there is enough time to walk around to it.

wch
04-10-2013, 04:40 AM
Be sure that the beer can you're using for a butt can is a different brand than the one you're drinking from; or paint the butt can red!

Ozone24
04-10-2013, 05:20 AM
Let's see, which of these did I not learn the hard way - thinking, thinking. Shucks, don't arc weld without a long sleeve shirt. That pretty blue light is hard on your skin.
Being my profession you would think I would have learned this but to my surprise I tell myself it's just for a minute, and I fall for it every time. Aloe gel is a good friend

When attempting the Dukes of Hazard slide across the hood make sure you don't have the metal studs on your pockets that for some odd reason are on dang near every pair of jeans I see. And it's even worse if its right after your new $1,100 paint job

10x
04-10-2013, 08:50 AM
With a bull in them, they can make pretty good head way, too!

A little "bull" can go a very long ways....

popper
04-10-2013, 03:41 PM
The people running daycare are only slightly more intelligent than the kids. Not so sure about that one.

shooter2
04-10-2013, 03:49 PM
An open umbrella does not make a good parachute.

A sign that reads "dangerous South American cattle, do not enter", is true

A ski jump is not toboggan friendly.

Larry D.
04-10-2013, 11:32 PM
Never pi$$ through/over an electric fence.

Done it........once!

dakotashooter2
04-11-2013, 10:23 AM
When shooting a carbine make sure no fingers extend beyond the end of the barrel............... (my brother)........

TXGunNut
04-11-2013, 07:26 PM

Wish I'd read that a couple of redheads ago.

10x
04-11-2013, 08:20 PM

Only took me 1 to figure that out.

Wish I'd read that a couple of redheads ago.

Redheads have a quality that is irresistible until they turn into gingers.

TXGunNut
04-11-2013, 08:25 PM
OTOH I'm not doing much better with brunettes these days...

John Allen
04-11-2013, 08:41 PM
Man, it is a shame no one got this on video tape.

Don't walk over to monster 10 pt whitetail you just "killed" and lay your rifle across his antlers like they do in all of the hunting shows, before you are SURE he is dead. Funniest thing I ever saw was bil chasing a whitetail with a rifle in his rack! When I shot the deer as it went by my stand my bil kept screaming "don't hit my rifle". When the deer jumped up the sling got hooked in his antlers and the rifle stayed with him till he hit the ground. It is also very hard to hit a running whitetail carrying a rifle when you are laughing your rear end off.

Superfly
04-12-2013, 02:05 PM
Don't replace outlets and light sockets when there still hot. YOU will see the white light.

Don't Lick a Steel pole In the winter time, Damn Sister :-|

Unhook the Horn when you are working on a car or pickup so your buddys can't honk it and scare the **** out of you

10x
04-12-2013, 02:19 PM
snip
Unhook the Horn when you are working on a car or pickup so your buddys can't honk it and scare the **** out of you

Don't disconnect the negative post on a battery when you are working on a car....

Superfly
04-12-2013, 02:44 PM
I hate to say it but i usually don't once it cost me a lot of money to to the tune of over 5k for a new ECM on the semi. Some times stupid is expensive to.

popper
04-12-2013, 02:54 PM
Unhook the Horn Hot setting valves on a 36 Packard straight 8, yes, they are right under the exhaust manifold. If I could have caught the guy! Now I use those cheap cotton gloves when working around a hot motor.

MBTcustom
04-12-2013, 03:05 PM
1. When your parrents tell you to stay out of debt, away from tobacco, and in church, you better doggon well listen cause they know what they are talking about, and the price for stupidity in these areas last for a long time after you realize they were right. In fact, I believe that by the time I get off tobacco, out of debt and involved in my church, I will probably be telling my daughter the same thing, and she will probably ignore it too, and so the circle continues.....

2. You don't actually save any money "doing it yourself". By the time you finally get to where you are satisfied with your results, you might as well go into business doing it for folks that are smart enough to pay you to do it for them. Then you might actually succeed in apologizing to yourself for all the time and money you threw out the window learning how. (did I mention I have a small gunsmithing business?:roll:)

3.If you get a funny feeling that something is just not right with the batch of ammo you just reloaded, take the time to pull all 100 of them instead of just going and shooting them, OK? Somewhere around here I have a 30-06 that has the headstamp almost stamped flat, because I put a double charge of unique under a 168gr cast boolit.

4. Sometimes ignoring the folks giving you advice is actually a wise thing to do.

5. Don't let a mouse scare you into a pit full of lions.

6. The toes you step on today, might be connected to the butt you have to kiss tomorrow.

7. Jesus Christ died for your sins, and gives forgiveness for free, and you would be stupid not to accept that (that's one that I didn't actually have to learn the hard way LOL).

There's more but that's the best I've got.

LaPoint
04-12-2013, 03:20 PM
Advice is often worth what you paid for it.

Definition: A bachelor is a man who has never made the same mistake once!

Don't use a TASER on someone after you've dowsed them with a chemical agent containing alcohol (I've seen it done before)

Hawkeye45
04-12-2013, 05:22 PM
Ask me how I know that antifreeze and water glass do not mix.
Mr. Ed

blademasterii
04-12-2013, 06:59 PM
Moving your old 55 in projection tv after learning that your new 65 in plasma has a shattered screen could result in losing the toenail of your big toe. Pulled the old tv towards me on the carpet barefoot, ran over foot, lifted toenail a good 1/4 inch above the toe. All the way back. So no new tv for 4 days and a jacked up foot for at least a week.

digger44
04-12-2013, 07:14 PM
When you are a kid shooting a ruger MKII for the first time, make sure there is an adult with you that is paying attention. AND...ensures your thumb is BELOW the bolt before you pull the trigger.

I still have that scar 30 years later ,, cept mine was a mark 1

starmac
04-12-2013, 09:55 PM
Ask me how I know that antifreeze and water glass do not mix.
Mr. Ed

I bet most folks don't know what water glass is. lol

TES
04-12-2013, 10:04 PM
Mark Twain - "Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"

shredder
04-12-2013, 10:05 PM
Moving your old 55 in projection tv after learning that your new 65 in plasma has a shattered screen could result in losing the toenail of your big toe. Pulled the old tv towards me on the carpet barefoot, ran over foot, lifted toenail a good 1/4 inch above the toe. All the way back. So no new tv for 4 days and a jacked up foot for at least a week.

GAAAAA! I have lost a nail before too. You make me cringe with your story! Get better. You will never forget that one. I know I never did.

MT Gianni
04-13-2013, 12:41 AM

The danger with loosing toenails is that yellow nail often follows an injury to the nail bed.If yours starts to look funny while growing out hit it hard with over the counters or see a foot Dr.

waksupi
04-13-2013, 01:33 AM
Toenails can be a reminder of interesting times.
I was shoeing (plating) race horses over at Helena years ago. It was a day of experiences.
The first one, was when I crossed the infield to bring a pony horse back across the track for shoeing. Pony horses are generally retired race horses. I was riding it bareback, with just a halter rope, steering with my knees.
They were training on the track, and when the gate popped to let the horses out, I found myself on a real run away. We beat them to the second curve, and cleared the rail without touching it. I was barely clinging to the darned thing when we finally landed.
Got done with that horse, and we had a Twister stud to shoe.
I wasn't paying close enough attention when I picked up a back foot, and he came down with all his weight, catching my big toe just behind the nail with the steel grab on the plate.
Hurt.
Got done with the horse, and sat down outside to pull off my boot. Kinda hated to, as I knew things were a lot wetter than they should have been.
Got the boot and sock off, and sure enough, he had me peeled.
I washed out the sock, and the boot, wrapped some adhesive tape around the mess, pulled the sock and boot back on, and went back to work, as we still had about a dozen head to plate.
And that darned toe nail still ain't right.

Olevern
04-13-2013, 06:30 AM
If a politician's mouth is moving, he's lying!

Wal'
04-13-2013, 06:51 AM
When to run with your mouth ............& when not to!

btroj
04-13-2013, 07:12 AM
Been there Wal. Bet we all have.

Hickory
04-13-2013, 07:24 AM
I'm glad I read this thread, I'd forgotten some of these.
And some I wouldn't do . . ., with a little for thought.

PbHurler
04-13-2013, 08:41 AM
I bet most folks don't know what water glass is. lol

I do, Sodium Silicate.

When I was a kid, I had a chemistry set. There were instructions on how to make book matches basically inert. If memory serves, the experiment was called "Trick Matches". You mixed a solution of water glass, dipped the heads of book matches in it, and let dry thoroughly.

When the matches were struck, they would only smoke, they wouldn't produce a flame. My mom DIDN'T find it amusing when trying to light her cigarettes.:evil:

(Hey, my parents were the ones that bought me the chemistry set for Christmas!)[smilie=1:

Thumbcocker
04-13-2013, 11:41 AM
What I should have said was nothing.

blackthorn
04-13-2013, 11:51 AM
When your plumbing goes haywire, get out the tools, study the problem, decide what it needs to get fixed, put the tools away--- and---- CALL THE GUY!!!!

10x
04-13-2013, 12:36 PM
When your plumbing goes haywire, get out the tools, study the problem, decide what it needs to get fixed, put the tools away--- and---- CALL THE GUY!!!!

Calling the guy to put in 16" of gas pipe, 1 Tee, a shut off valve, and a roof vent with 5' of 4" 24 gauge galvanized (insulated) to the range hood.
Stuff I used to to myself in an hour or two. The bill was $1200.00 without material. He spent more time looking at my gas stove than actually working.

Area Man
04-13-2013, 05:56 PM
6.7 grains of Herco under a 180 grain Ranier bullet is too much powder when shot in a Browning Hi Power.

On a related note: I've got an extra brass bushing that's right about 10mm OD if anyone needs one.

SlippShodd
04-13-2013, 06:24 PM

I still have that scar 30 years later ,, cept mine was a mark 1

Despite the original amount of blood, there is no scar 40 some odd years later. And it was a Colt Woodsman.

BD
04-13-2013, 06:45 PM
Chewing tobacco and white water kayaking do not mix.
You can't move your legs fast enough to run 45 mph from a flying start.
There are many ways to get yourself airborne, but not so many ways to get yourself back to earth unhurt.
The result of nearly every real fight involves someone going to the hospital, and someone else going to jail, neither one is a "winner".
BD

BruceB
04-13-2013, 07:33 PM
6.7 grains of Herco under a 180 grain Ranier bullet is too much powder when shot in a Browning Hi Power.

I can believe this.

Speer published a handbook load calling for 7.0 grains of Herco under their then-new 125-grain round-nosed softpoint. They reported 1330 fps from an S&W M39's 4" barrel.

From my Hi-Power, it chronographed at 1370.... the HP barrel is a tad longer than that of the Smith.

7.0 grains filled the 9mm cases LEVEL-FULL with the mouth. One MIGHT say the charge was "compressed". Pulling a bullet showed that I had to DIG the powder out of the case, because it was squashed into a solid mass.

Still, the load was consistent and reliable, without unseemly effects on brass or primers.

Chihuahua Floyd
04-13-2013, 08:38 PM
Despite the original amount of blood, there is no scar 40 some odd years later. And it was a Colt Woodsman.

Mine was a couple of 25 cal semi autos, one was s Raven Arms I paid $25 for an traded for a Rem 1100 in 12 ga and $40 boot.
CF

chambers
04-13-2013, 08:57 PM
Make sure the outboard is fastened to boat, the gas line won't support the motor.

cavalrymedic
04-13-2013, 09:32 PM
Never try to blow out a gasoline fire. I tried that when I was 16. I went months without any eyebrows, eyelashes, or bangs.

Beagle333
04-13-2013, 09:49 PM
Those little solid fuel rocket motors for model rockets? The directions stress that you should use at least 18 feet of wire to the igniter when launching. You should. You really should. When I finished wrestling with that thing and got it off me, my shirt and exposed skin looked like I had been fighting some dude with a light saber while I was unarmed.

RoyEllis
04-13-2013, 09:51 PM
As a very young boy, I quickly learned not to follow dares from my cousin.....do NOT pee on the spark plug of a running lawn mower, nor play Evil Kneivel and attempt to use a minibike to jump a tractor & brush hog.

twotrees
04-13-2013, 10:10 PM
"Red headed womez is crazy Took three to figure that out.... "

It only took me one, but that was MORE than enough

Wal'
04-14-2013, 01:16 AM
Been there Wal. Bet we all have.

And it was usually a painful lesson.............eh