PDA

View Full Version : Kindle fire or i pad mini

troyboy
04-05-2013, 11:06 PM
Ok guys need some help in the decision between the kindle fire hd and the I pad mini. Thanks Troy

birdadly
04-05-2013, 11:18 PM
Guess I can't compare too much, but I'm typing this reply on a Kindle Fire... for me and for what I wanted it for, the prices was right. Granted I didn't get the HD. If it's mostly for Apps, internet, music, movies and books, I'd suggest the Kindle unless you have too much money. -Brad

boltons75
04-05-2013, 11:21 PM
I prefer the Samsung tablets over the kindle and the i-stuff.

Apple's are meant to be eaten....

edler7
04-05-2013, 11:22 PM
I have a Kindle fire HD, the wife has an I pad. The kindle will do everything her I pad will, although differently in a lot of cases. The only drawback I find to the kindle is the browser won't play flash video or games. It uses the same browser as the Android phone. I read there is a way to get flash to work, but it's fairly involved- I haven't messed with trying to get flash enabled, it isn't that important to me. I don't listen to a lot of music with it, so I can't tell you much about that. Her I pad also has a camera on each side of the case, where the kindle just has a camera on the screen side.

For the difference in $$$$ and how I use it, I'll stick with the Kindle. It's really great for reading.

texassako
04-05-2013, 11:25 PM
How tech savvy are you? I would say neither if you are since they both lock you into their idea of what you need, and I just plain don't like Apple as a company. Android tablets(and the Kindle is a slicked up one) are like PCs, it doesn't really matter whos name is on the outside and are pretty much commodities. If you are not savvy, then the Kindle. My mother, MIL, and 3 year old handle them pretty well and like them.

garym1a2
04-06-2013, 06:53 AM
I have a SAmsung 7 inch Tab for two years.Its great.

phil3333
04-06-2013, 09:19 AM
this thread is of interest to me I bought a regular kindle about a year ago and love it because I can read again
the writing in books had gotten to small for me to see,I was thinking about getting a more advanced pad
for internet stuff also

KinkBreaker
04-06-2013, 09:32 AM
get the ipad. is my answer, unless you are really going to use it for book reading more than 75% of the time it will be used. the ipads do alot of things pretty well. while the kindle are really great for lots of reading

Artful
04-06-2013, 10:15 AM
I'd say first you need to set down and decide what you want it to do.
Do you want it to be usable as a phone? Only Wi-Fi connect? Storage only in the cloud or external connections for HD or card?
Games, Video, on line Magazines, Books ONLY?

jmort
04-06-2013, 10:17 AM
I have the I Pad Mini and have used the Kindle Fire. Like most things you pay for what you get, and the I Pad is "better" and you pay for that. The Fire works just fine. If you have the $$$ you will not regret getting the I Pad. You should also consider the Google Nexus 7.

archmaker
04-06-2013, 10:59 AM
I have Google Nexus 7, for the price it was hard to beat. The price for the 16gig model is $199 and that is what I have, and I have had it for almost a year and still have a lot of room on it (of course I don't have my music on it). I like the size of it, and with having an android phone, Google store let me have most of the apps I paid for it on both devices.

Really depends on what you plan on doing with it.

troyboy
04-06-2013, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the replies. Really my intentions are to web browse, read and watch movies. I spend lots of time traveling domestic and international. I am not interested in doing any work type things on the pad... that is what my laptop is for. Thanks Troy

Boerrancher
04-06-2013, 11:24 AM
I have a Kindle fire, and it is great for reading books, and browsing the web. I am seriously thinking about an I Pad simply because the I Pad can do more. I would love my Fire if I could put in an SD card in it and download photos to it from the SD card.

Best wishes,

Joe

drhall762
04-06-2013, 11:29 AM
Some people like Fords and some like Chevys. I have a Kindle Fire HD. It was a Christmas present. Would never consider buying any of them for myself prior to this and I love it. It does everything I want. I use it to read books, word process, spreadsheets, data base construction and maintenance (all Microsoft word compatible) e-Mails, web browser, and the list goes on. I really believe you will be happy with what ever you decide to purchase.

EMC45
04-06-2013, 12:05 PM
The wife bought the Kindle Fire with Christmas money. It is really neat. I use it a good bit when she is on the alptop or vice versa. I have been told it is virus proof due to the technology. The one thing I don't like is the spell check.

archmaker
04-06-2013, 12:19 PM
Well that is why I brought the Nexus 7, I do a lot of traveling and wanted something that would hold a decent libarary and some time killing games. The watching movies part on the plane I have not done, yet, but that is what I plan on figuring out (Although I have watched movies on it, when at home). I also wanted something that would allow me to keep track of all the tasks that I have going, found an app that works with my phone, laptops, and tablet. Synchs to the cloud, so when I do get connected I just synch them all up. The only downside (if you want to call it that) is that the Nexus 7 is requires a wireless network to connect, but I just make my phone a hotspot, and use the phone.

I think your choice of the Mini-Size is what you want to go with, Small enough to carry easy. I have no problems with it on a plane, was on plane yesterday and the guy with the IPad was having a tough time managing his IPad, and lunch (was in first class). I just have the kindle app on my device.

khmer6
04-06-2013, 01:05 PM
I would look into alternatives like the nexus or Samsung. Do you need cellular data? Can you hot spot your phone? What OS are yiu comfortable with?

MtGun44
04-06-2013, 04:39 PM
Samsung Galaxy. Fire is WAY restricted to Amazon stuff. If you are buying
a reader, it is OK. For wider applications, pretty fenced in. Not an Apple
fan, their fascist "my way is the ONLY way" is off putting for me.

Bill

garym1a2
04-06-2013, 05:28 PM
With my 7inch Samsung tab I leave the laptop home on trips. With the Verizon network and Wifi I can always connect. I can email exchange server, yahoomail, of course browse cast boolit web site for hours and hours. Plus it has a built in GPS and maps. With engineering problems I can use it to take a decent picture and instantly email it. With a 10-12 hour battery its great, on a trip to Shanghai I was able to play Angry birds for over 10 hours.

Thanks for the replies. Really my intentions are to web browse, read and watch movies. I spend lots of time traveling domestic and international. I am not interested in doing any work type things on the pad... that is what my laptop is for. Thanks Troy

Marvin S
04-06-2013, 06:13 PM
The wife bought the Kindle Fire with Christmas money. It is really neat. I use it a good bit when she is on the alptop or vice versa. I have been told it is virus proof due to the technology. The one thing I don't like is the spell check.
You can turn that annoying auto correct off. It will then just show suggestions.

jeepyj
04-06-2013, 06:20 PM
I'm a google user for my phone however my lovely bride bought me the iPad for Xmas and I use both to sure this site. But the most time is spent on my iPad.
Jeepyj

Ed Barrett
04-06-2013, 06:38 PM
My wife, my sister-in-law, and a few other people use a kindle fire, I have one of the older kindles I just use for reading books. The two people I know with ipads paid a lot of money for them, they only bought one because someone told them it was expensive so therefore they must be good. Everyone with the kindle fire uses them all the time for internet stuff and are happy with them.

HATCH
04-06-2013, 07:04 PM
I don't own a ipad mini but I do own two ipad 3's and a Kindle Fire.

I own a android phone and my wife owns a Iphone5.
The iphone5 can share apps, calendar, contacts, ect with the ipad that is registered to her.
My phone can do the same with the kindle.

Each has its purpose I guess if I had to choose I would pick the IPAD if I could only have one.

dagger dog
04-06-2013, 10:14 PM
My 2 C,

MAC does not support Windows well, to take full advantage of Apple's MAC OS you need to have their hardware. If you run mainly Windows hardware you can run into some issues where Window OS isn't compatible without buying programs to make it work with the MAC OS.

troyboy
04-09-2013, 06:44 PM
I am responding to this on my Kindle Fire 8.9 HD. I am really liking this! Thanks guys.

boltons75
04-09-2013, 07:48 PM
I am responding to this on my Kindle Fire 8.9 HD. I am really liking this! Thanks guys.

Now go to the xda developers forums, look into rooting your fire, load a pure android rom and it will be 10 times better.

dragon813gt
04-09-2013, 07:53 PM
Jailbreaking/Rooting is the only way to get the full potential out of either one. In the case of the iPad you aren't beholden to apple's incremental updates. Both are to limited w/ what they allow you to do in stock form. I don't know how easy rooting is. But jailbreaking is extremely easy and the latest ones only take a few minutes to perform.

Lloyd Smale
04-10-2013, 06:17 AM
ive never layed a finger on either and if i do things right never will but those ipads must be great as my wife has hers in her hands so much i think its started to attach to her skin!!

btroj
04-10-2013, 06:30 AM
I use my iPad for all forum viewing. It just works.

There isn't a wrong answer here, both will work quite well.

uscra112
04-10-2013, 05:33 PM
ive never layed a finger on either and if i do things right never will but those ipads must be great as my wife has hers in her hands so much i think its started to attach to her skin!!

I don't always agree with Lloyd, on this one he gets a big +1000. Those things drive me batty when I try to read anything over one paragraph on them. They are soooo slow and soooo limited compared to dead tree books. And web sites I used to read quickly like Breitbart have dumbed themselves down to fit on the small screen. But I'm the minority of one in my family. The grandkids have all been re-equipped with the new Crackberries by their other Grandpa, who has the scratch to do such things. According to them there is no competition.