PDA

View Full Version : New Mihec Mould

GaryN
04-05-2013, 10:20 PM
I was looking through Miha's extra moulds that he has on hand. And I found one that was calling my name. It was the last one in stock. It was the 6.8 SPC. It is a six-banger aluminum. Anyway, I bought it and started playing with it. I also noticed that it is very much like the Lyman 280473 in shape. I also have the 280473 mould. I love six-bangers. You can make a big pile of boolits fast. I started thinking about a good super light load to shoot around the yard. I decided to try 3.5 grs. of bullseye and 4.0 grs. of bullseye. I spent an evening cleaning all the copper deposits out of my barrel. Then I dug up some brass and neck sized it and used an expander plug out of a 7mm. The expander plug was .2765. I sized the boolits at .278. At that light of a charge I decided I didn't need gas checks. I also used CCI 300 LPP because of the light charge. I put a layer of 45-45-10 on the boolits and then ran them through the sizer. Then I put another layer of lube on them. After I charged the cases I put a little tuft of polyester fiberfill in on top of the powder. I ended up seating the boolits with my fingers. Below I have included some pictures of my targets. The wind was blowing a little and I was shooting off a lawn chair not a bench. I thought the new mould did pretty good for a first try. This is cheaper to shoot than 22LR.

The first picture is 4.0 grs. of bullseye. The second is 3.5 grs. The third picture is the Mihec 6.8 SPC alongside the 280473. The 280473 has the gas check and the lube. Targets were at 50 yards. This was a Winchester Model 70A 270.