PDA

View Full Version : Odd yardsale find

Love Life
04-05-2013, 08:41 PM
So there I was, larger than life, driving to the local store to get some things. On the way I see a "Estate and Gun sale" on the side of the road. I go to the house and pull in. After perusing the 30-40 year old ammo, a blue Bair press, and other odds and ends, I head to the gun rack.

Hmmmm. It's the usual fair. A couple pre-64 Mod 70 in 30-06, a savage 99 in 300 savage, a well used Krag, a BAR in 300 winmag, and other bolt guns. Nothing I was really interested in. Until I got to the end of the rack...

What did I spy with my little eye? A Drilling!!! I have only read about these guns in books and the net. This one was chambered in 16.2 gage with the rifled barrel underneath and chambered in 360-8x57R. Interesting. I played with it a bit and the quality of build was exquisite. It had claw mounts as well. It's overall condition was about 75%, and it had a couple buggered screws. Made me kind of sad.

It was just odd seeing one of those guns out here. I truly live in BFE, and this gun was just so out of place.

What odd or out of place guns have you come across at yard sales?

waksupi
04-05-2013, 09:21 PM
There is a Cape gun at a local yard sale here this weekend, along with some good grade bolt actions. It's not unusual to find nice custom rifles in this area at yard sales.

10-x
04-05-2013, 10:09 PM
Did you buy the Drilling???......How much did they want???

Love Life
04-05-2013, 10:12 PM
I did not buy it. The Boss has already blessed the purchase of a new handgun so I'm pretty sure she would have killed me had I brought the drilling home. It was $2,747.00 and I had him a little under that.

The wood was beautiful, the engraving, actually everything about it.

km101
04-05-2013, 10:32 PM
Several years ago I found a Weatherby Mark V in .224 Weatherby Magnum at a yard sale. There was also a single shot "Olympic freestyle pistol" in .22lr, and a Schutzen(sp?) style muzzle loader. The man truly had some varied interests.

10-x
04-05-2013, 10:35 PM
LL, was thinking could it have been a bring back from WWII?? have seen quite a few of them.

quilbilly
04-05-2013, 10:42 PM
I am usually 5 minutes too late.

Trey45
04-06-2013, 07:33 AM
Finding a Drilling at a yard sale! You should buy a lottery ticket since your luck is running good! The last yard sale I went to(last summer) I found 3 cast iron cornstick pans, made in Mexico for $5 each. Bought them all and use them as ingot molds.

Many many years ago I saw a Chatellerault Mosin Nagant at a yard sale for $50. This was back when you could go to Roses department store and buy a Mosin for $69 bucks, you could buy a SMLE for $75! I was young at the time, early 20's and already had a 91/30 and didn't think I needed another Mosin Nagant. Especially a stupid french made one. If I had known then what I know now I would have bought it. Bob's Guns in downtown Norfolk had a blue plastic barrel full of cosmoline packed and grease paper wrapped Norinco SKS's for $69 each or two for $100 back in those days. I wish I had bought the barrel full.

imashooter2
04-06-2013, 07:49 AM
-sigh- The only yard sale table I've ever seen in these parts with shooting or reloading gear on it was in front of my house. :(

375RUGER
04-06-2013, 08:55 AM
Did you note which maker?

Hardcast416taylor
04-06-2013, 09:46 AM
A friend coming home from working 3rd shift came on a yard sale just starting that had some guns. He got a Browning "Sweet 16" still unassembled in its wood packing crate! Several nice Win. Model 12`s in 20 and 12 gauge, a couple .22`s both browning auto`s, 2 bolt guns that were all early model Brownings. He cleaned out his checking account and wallet for all the guns. The old couple even discounted the guns so that he could get them all. The wife of the couple made a small breakfast for my bud while he and the husband did the haggling. I just don`t find sales like that!Robert

Love Life
04-06-2013, 11:58 AM
Did you note which maker?

I'm headed back today to take down serious notes and some pictures if the man will let me. We hit it off pretty good yesterday (he is an old Vietnam Veteran and Marine) and he had some tools I was interested in anyway. I'll update when I return.

I'm tempted. Oh Lord am I tempted. I have no idea where to start to even put ammo together for this gun, but it's a Drilling. When is the next time I'll ever have one of those in my hot little hands? You can feel the history and old world craftsmanship in it. It shoulders and points like it was made for me.

Pray for me...

Gliden07
04-06-2013, 12:05 PM
I don't know anything about collector firearms. But a few years back I was working with an electrician, the house we were working on was about 50% gutted and we were doing a 80% rewiring job on it. We were in the cellar that had a drop ceiling, when we lifted the ceiling tiles we found 12 long guns and 3 revolvers! The only one I really remember was a Winchester 12GA pump that had the exposed hammer, the reason I remember that one is my friends Father had one similar to it. We told the homeowner about the firearms and never heard another word about them. Another thing about this house, when the people we were working for started to move in the homeowners of course had a lot of box's and paper. The house had a fireplace that had not been used in years. The new owners decided to burn all of the moving boxes etc... After they pulled the plastic off of the opening in the wall and pulled all the insulation out covering the damper, they pulled the damper open and found a plastic bag stuck in the flue. They removed the bag and found $32,000.00 in CASH!!!!

Trey45
04-06-2013, 12:10 PM
Let's see what the old checklist says.
Craftsmanship. Check
Coolness factor. Check
Rarity. Check
A challenging caliber to load for. Check
What more could you ask for? (No I'm not getting a commission, I just want to live vicariously through you when you buy this thing and load for it)
Ask anyone that knows me, when it comes to anyone buying another gun, I'm always going to be in their corner. My answer is always going to be, BUY IT, and if it's a really good deal, buy 2 or 12 of them.

I'll pray you succumb to your inner thoughts and buy the thing! It is afterall....a Drilling. Is there really a downside to it? None that I can see.

x101airborne
04-06-2013, 12:49 PM
I would mortgage my truck to bring that home. I passed on a couple drillings back before I had better sense. Now I wont leave one if I ever find another. The one I really regret was an english made double 28(ish) with a 32-40(ish) barrel centered underneath. Not an ounce of engraving, and kinda rough, but definately a cool factor.
I WILL find another drilling to bring home one day. May get lucky and find a double 12 paradox with a BP 375 or so addition.

Shooter
04-06-2013, 01:37 PM
I'd go for it. I passed on a double 16 over a 7X57R some years ago. It fit me, and swung like a woodcock gun, but I hesitated.
I still wake up late at night, and cry big salty tears.

MtGun44
04-06-2013, 04:36 PM
Life is short. What is challenging about a 16 ga and 8x57? Short chambers is apparently
not too much of an issue, at least from reading Barsness, never actually loaded for
one myself.

Bill

perotter
04-06-2013, 04:58 PM
Guns that needed special paper work to keep one out of trouble. Really have to wonder how they didn't know what they were. Maybe they just figured that the husband, dad, grandpa won't have anything he maybe shouldn't. Or the guy had the paper work, but they didn't know of it.

Love Life
04-06-2013, 10:16 PM
We came to an agreement. I'll have to put off that handgun for awhile. How often do you come across a Drilling?

John Allen
04-06-2013, 10:24 PM
I just picked up at a yard sale today. a ruger single action leather holster by Bianchi for $1, a brand new ohaus 505 scale in the box for $10.00 and for a whopping 2 dollars a fishing tackle box with 6 quick loaders, brass powder measure, 6 flints, wad puller, bullet puller and seater.

It was a great score

10-x
04-06-2013, 10:39 PM
Trey,
I remember when Bob's gun shop was on the corner of Brambleton and Granby and the "New" Colt AR 15 was $273.00. Mr Reich and Blaustein were really nice guys. Lots of bring back drillings were "duffle cut", saw 1 last year at a show down here.

Harter66
04-06-2013, 10:40 PM
I have a couple of questions.

WHAT THE H**L WERE YOU THINKING? Okay I'm of the ceiling now. Why are you not sleeping on the couch this is soooooo worth it in sooooooo many ways . Most certainly SWMBO would have understood "Stoger sxs is a Chevy truck, a Winchester 10? is an Escalade,but a Drilling is somewhere between Rolls and Duesenburg(sp)? I'll give you the 600jr and the 16ga kit to drool on it just for a night in Winnemucca and throw in a couple 8mm moulds including my PB 325-175.

Trey45
04-06-2013, 10:45 PM
10-x, they haven't moved, they're still there. Remember Bress pawn shop across the street? I bought my first Blackhawk from them. A 30 cal carbine with the 7.5" barrel. Wish I still had it. That thing was LOUD.

Love Life
04-06-2013, 10:54 PM
Oddly it was Mrs. Love Life who pushed me to get it. Yesterday when got home I spent a good 30 minutes describing my find and what was so special about it. This morning I told her I was going to go look at it again. She asked " Are you going to buy it?" I responded that I probably wouldn't because I wanted a new handgun. Her response? "They still make Colts right?"

Why yes they do.

Huntington has brass in stock so that is good. I will get some pictures posted. There is engraving on every piece of this gun except the barrels. Very pretty with just enough wear to add historic flavor. It has claw mounts and has folding sights for 100 and 200 yards. It has exposed hammers and double trigger. It even has a little space on the bottom of the stock to stick 3 rifle cartridges.

M-Tecs
04-06-2013, 10:59 PM
Hmmmm. It's the usual fair. A couple pre-64 Mod 70 in 30-06, a savage 99 in 300 savage, a well used Krag,

Wow you may be in BFE but even wthout the drilling I don't find a couple of pre-64 Mod 70's in 30-06, a savage 99 in 300 savage, a well used Krag as usual fair. I wish I could find stuff like that around here.

Love Life
04-06-2013, 11:02 PM
All the pre-64's were under $800 and the Krag was sporterized and was $449. The seller claimed it (the Krag) was part of a historic battle, but he had nothing to back it up.

Harter66
04-06-2013, 11:07 PM
You may kiss that woman and take her to Tahoe for the week!

CLAYPOOL
04-06-2013, 11:17 PM
One of my bud's said you have the cash for the Bobcat (welder) i said sure, he said what if your dead tomorrow, buy it..........

Lance Boyle
04-06-2013, 11:32 PM
Great! I think there's also a Page 8mmx57R match micrometer seating die in the want to sell area here right now.

The last time I hit the brakes and turned around for a gun I spied at a garage sale, I thought I saw a springfield 1903 leaning against some junk for sale. I park the car and get closer, a poor condition vintage Paris toy rifle for $75. Long time before I saw at one sale a bolt action savage .30-30 but I didn't have the money as I was just a working paperboy.;)

I've never taken my time to do the garage sale thing. Around here if you have a village wide garage sale or post an ad online or in the paper you get 20 gunhawks calling for a day before deal or knock on your door at 6:45am when you say clearly "not before 8am".

Harter66
04-06-2013, 11:33 PM
I've 8x57 dies you may use and a couple 100s of boolits both PB and checkable and a 323 push through. I've a couple of boxes of old 16ga too. I'll have to look I'm sure they are 2 3/4 rather than 2 9/16 (?).

Can you make 8x57R from 303B ? I've some 303B that was intended for 410/45-60ish .

You will consider letting the Drilling tag along ,if only for owww-ahhh, to NCBS won't you?

Holler if I have anything that'll help.

Love Life
04-06-2013, 11:48 PM
I believe this one is .318. I need to slug it tomorrow an find out for sure. Looks like cast boolits are the only way to shoot this one economically. Plus the cartridge's normal working range is 1600-1800 FPS according to COW.

The 16 gage needs to be 2 1/2 inch. Should be fun getting this old girl out in the hills after Jacks. Did I mention it's bore is mirror shiny and the marks all indicate Krieghoff? More research to do...

jaystuw
04-07-2013, 01:49 AM
The only rifle i ever saw at a garage sale was over 40 years ago, a type 38 arisaka rifle that was peppered on one side from butt to muzzle with small size shrapnel.They wanted a $100 for it, which at the time was a huge amount of money. No way I was going to buy it at that price, but i wish i had gotten the story on it. Maybe some relative captured it at tarawa. jay

HighHook
04-07-2013, 04:27 AM
Living in a town full of US Navy Seal team guys i found an underwater waterproof case for a MP5 for 5 bucks. Took it to the next gun show and all the early resellers were fighting over it for $200. Back then i wished they had a truck-full of those...

10-x
04-07-2013, 08:54 AM
Trey,
Bobs is on Granby in the 2 story building(unless they have moved again?) they used to be on Brambleton close to the bus station. Norfolk has changed for the worse. Knew a detective back in the 70's that carried a Winchester MDL 70 in .458 Win Mag in the trunk as his "Barricade Rifle" , carried a box of solids, said they would go through any building.........LOL. He was on the NPD pistol team too, carried a 6" Python in a shoulder rig, we let LEO's shoot for free at the range.

Pb Burner
04-07-2013, 09:12 AM
Mrs LoveLife must be a very understanding companion. I'm amazed you found this at a yard sale! In a decent condition. Unbelievable find... This whole deal has just the right amount of awesomeness in it. I for one can't wait to see some pics....Congrats to you!

phil3333
04-07-2013, 09:18 AM
when do we get to the see pics, sounds like a cool a killer find!

10x
04-07-2013, 09:24 AM
LL, was thinking could it have been a bring back from WWII?? have seen quite a few of them.

or it could have been brought over with German immigrants. Several local families who came from Germany in the 1920s and 1930s brought their family guns. I have seen these guns in the 1950s - their kids showed me the guns "From the old country". I have no idea where they went as I have lost track of these folk

Harter66
04-07-2013, 11:02 AM
The PB boolits run through the 323 come out dead on 323 so thats out . I have a 3185 sizer and a 314-155 w/a case of greenbar paper . Turning a new expander is no big deal either.

Wayne Smith
04-07-2013, 12:02 PM
I use brass shotshells in my 16 gauge 2.5" cape gun. They are the only ones I could reliably find. They and the paper were, I think, the only 2.5" made.

Ickisrulz
04-09-2013, 01:42 PM
What happened with this?

10x
04-09-2013, 01:47 PM
Trey,
I remember when Bob's gun shop was on the corner of Brambleton and Granby and the "New" Colt AR 15 was $273.00. Mr Reich and Blaustein were really nice guys. Lots of bring back drillings were "duffle cut", saw 1 last year at a show down here.

My goodness your handle looks familiar

Doc_Stihl
04-09-2013, 01:49 PM
Pics please!

Wayne Smith
04-10-2013, 07:46 AM
Trey,
Bobs is on Granby in the 2 story building(unless they have moved again?) they used to be on Brambleton close to the bus station. Norfolk has changed for the worse. Knew a detective back in the 70's that carried a Winchester MDL 70 in .458 Win Mag in the trunk as his "Barricade Rifle" , carried a box of solids, said they would go through any building.........LOL. He was on the NPD pistol team too, carried a 6" Python in a shoulder rig, we let LEO's shoot for free at the range.

One correction: Bob's is on Granby and Onley but in a 3 story building. The range is on the 3rd floor, second is, or was, all ammo.

gmsharps
04-10-2013, 08:58 AM
I bought some 2.5in 16ga shotshells from Westley Richards USA that is now located in Bozeman MT. enquiries@westleyrichards.com Don't know if they still have any but might be worth the e-mail to see. I got some to shoot in a drilling I had picked up that was a 16ga and 9.3x72R. They are fun guns.

gmsharps

Trey45
04-10-2013, 09:34 AM
I was just at Bobs last week, the range is 3rd floor, ammo is second, guns first floor. Right on Granby street at the corner of Onley.

MtGun44
04-10-2013, 05:46 PM
Come on, now! You are torturing us.

Pix please!

Bill

Blacksmith
04-10-2013, 08:09 PM
Brass shot shells are the way to go. They would look just right with a drilling.
http://www.ballisticproducts.com/MagTech-16ga-2-1_2-empty-brass-shotshells-for-reloading/productinfo/3921665/

Bullet Caster
04-10-2013, 09:15 PM
Nice find, Dick, and I hope you have fun with your new toy. I passed on an arisaka rifle for $25.00 that had the chrysanthemum on top of the receiver. I kick myself every time I think of passing up that rifle. The SWMBO was willing for me to make the purchase. Just wish I had. BC

Love Life
04-10-2013, 10:50 PM
As soon as she gets back from getting chamber casts done and a clean bill of health for shooting...

10-x
04-11-2013, 08:58 AM
One correction: Bob's is on Granby and Onley but in a 3 story building. The range is on the 3rd floor, second is, or was, all ammo.

Please note, "Bob's used to be" on Brambleton Ave. Back then the 3rd floor was storage, Mr. Moore the gunsmith had the second floor. One did not get up there unless invited, I'm talking 1970's.

Shooter
04-11-2013, 01:11 PM
Trey,

Why would one "DuffleCut" a take-down gun?
IMWTN

alamogunr
04-11-2013, 01:31 PM
When I was a teenager in the late 50's, you could buy all kinds of surplus military arms thru mail order ads. To me the most interesting were what were referred to as "dewats". One in particular I remember was a Thompson submachine gun. The barrels were plugged with weld for $75. In the same ad were replacement barrels. Don't remember the price but it didn't matter. I couldn't afford an Italian Carcano for $12.95

Around here you hardly ever see anything worth buying at a yard sale. I don't have the patience to drive all over looking.

felix
04-11-2013, 01:59 PM
My dad was asked by an auctioneer to come and pre-price a small room containing quality guns owned by the estate of a big-time farmer. My dad knew the farmer well but did not know the farmer was into guns in the least. As "payment" for his expertise, the auctioneer gave my dad his choice of five guns amounting to no more than 10 percent of the collection's said worth. He chose guns that would be used extensively by the family. The guns chosen were an English double and several Italian autos, and three rifles by Weatherby, one of which was a rare 22LR model. Where the guns are now would be a surprise, because I was never into shotguns. My dad did "will" me his Kimber 22LR and a German set triggered WWII sniper. ... felix

10-x
04-12-2013, 08:49 AM
Why would one "DuffleCut" a take-down gun?
IMWTN
Many were not take downs, GI's whacked them off to fit. Have often wondered why they didn't just take them apart? K 98's and Type 99's stocks were to long, the smart ones were cut under a band. IIRC the Luftwaffe survival drillings were take down?

Wayne Smith
04-12-2013, 12:19 PM
I think all break opens are take downs. At least I've never seen one that wasn't. Granted, I've never handled a drilling.

firefly1957
04-12-2013, 08:28 PM
Some years ago i was at an auction and in a box of junk was a working 28 ga double barrel bankers pistol i told the auctioneer it should be removed as it could cause legal troubles he ignored me and sold the box and contents for $30 . I always wondered what happen to it 12" barrel i forgot the brand but it was well made and quite illegal today without the tax stamp.

Swamp Man
04-13-2013, 06:12 AM
I was at a yard sale about ten years ago and was checking out a bunch of old albums this hippie had. I got about half way into the box and found a big bag of pot I looked at the old hippie and asked if I buy the whole box do I get the pot free. He jumped up and ran over and looked in the box and said dude that's not suppose to be in there. I busted out laughing and he grabbed his pot and told me I could have the album if I didn't say anything about what I seen. I got a real good laugh that morning and a great deal on some albums. LOL

gifford
04-14-2013, 08:50 AM
Found a ladle and melting pot for use on a gas stove for a couple of bucks, while paying asked if she had any lead or balls, got several old ammunition boxes full of lead balls of various sizes from the back of the garage. "You want them?, They are pretty heavy". Yep I did and yep they were. Finally persuaded to take ten bucks, she didn't want anything for them as they were too heavy for her to move. Never did find any moulds.

digger44
04-14-2013, 09:17 AM
cool finds,
My best garage sale gun find was a near mint 1969 Belgium BAR 30-06 grade 2 with weaver scope and tip off mounts for $300 about 3 yrs ago. I think they sold it as a problem gun that jammed. After replacing a broken magazine ($30), it works good as new. :)

10x
04-14-2013, 09:23 AM
My best garage sale buy was an Ithaca model 72 lever gun with a scope on it. Paid $20.00 for it, took it to the range and had a washtub size group at 20 yards.
Took the scope off and tried with the open sights and the group settled into about an inch. Took the objective off the scope and the internals fell out.
Took the gun back to offer to sell it back for $20.00 the next week, the house was empty, the guy had moved.

Ickisrulz
05-02-2013, 09:31 AM
As soon as she gets back from getting chamber casts done and a clean bill of health for shooting...

Well??

Newtire
05-11-2013, 09:53 PM
Life is short. What is challenging about a 16 ga and 8x57? Short chambers is apparently
not too much of an issue, at least from reading Barsness, never actually loaded for
one myself.

Bill

Easy to load for short chambered shotguns. Cut the shells off shorter and load them. Not the same as seating a bullet deeper if you think of it, wad still sits right on top of powder every time so no pressure increase. Done it myself alot!

Newtire
05-11-2013, 09:58 PM
My first M1100 for $200.00. Got an RCBS casting pot once for $20.00. Gotta watch it though, a guy at Boise Gun show last month had a can of "BlueDot" only no Blue Dots. I'm not thinking that would make it a collector's item..?!

Ickisrulz
10-11-2013, 08:01 AM
Hey Love Life, What's the word on the drilling? Are you shooting it yet? Any pictures?

USAFrox
10-11-2013, 08:45 AM
Pics, or it didn't happen. ;)

1wise1
10-26-2013, 05:39 PM
All the pre-64's were under $800 and the Krag was sporterized and was $449. The seller claimed it (the Krag) was part of a historic battle, but he had nothing to back it up.
Don't want to hijack the thread but it's been long enough so I'm not interrupting the flow. What is a non-sporterized Krag worth these days? I've run across a pair in good condition, polished and oiled but not refinished stocks. Appreciate anyone's wisdom.

Blacksmith
10-26-2013, 06:07 PM
You might want to ask over on the CMP Forum in the Bolt Action Rifle section. A search there will probably turn something up if not there are some true experts on Krags as well as every US Military rifle in one section or another.
http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=79

Ickisrulz
03-07-2014, 08:58 AM

OK, it's been a year. Where are the pictures?

joelitespeed
03-07-2014, 11:20 AM
OK, it's been a year. Where are the pictures?

Yes please!

farmerjim
03-07-2014, 11:32 AM
No picture, Didn't happen.

Bullshop Junior
03-07-2014, 12:01 PM
Are you gonna use this as your mall ninja gun?

Love Life
03-07-2014, 12:05 PM
This is my going back in time gun. I'll get some pictures posted and had honestly forgotten about this thread.

Bullshop Junior
03-07-2014, 12:33 PM
I have a feeling it will
Be used for mall ninja work before long.

farmerjim
03-07-2014, 12:58 PM
This is my going back in time gun. I'll get some pictures posted and had honestly forgotten about this thread.

Old threads never die. They just come back to haunt you.

cwheel
03-07-2014, 01:23 PM
I saw and handled that gun if it was the one over at the yardsale in TRE where the guy is also selling all of the small storage sheds. Was a nice gun, priced well beyond what I had to spend. He had that for sale for over 2 years there, along with several other rifles behind his counter over the years, his yard sales are almost never ending. Pics or not, I had that gun in my hands, yes it does exist. I bought some grinding wheels and 200 rounds of unfired Imperial 30:30 brass from him that day. Good luck with the drilling Love Life, should be fun.
Chris

dsbock
03-07-2014, 02:00 PM
My best gun related yard sale find was an M1 Carbine with high wood stock. Included were 8 WWII vintage magazines and about 200 rounds of military surplus ammo on stripper clips in a .30-cal ammo can.

I'm looking forward to pictures of the drilling. The last one I saw had a pop up peep sight behind the action lever.

David

Ickisrulz
04-08-2014, 02:57 PM

Another month has gone by without those pictures of the drilling or report on how it shoots.

Bullshop Junior
04-08-2014, 03:05 PM
It's not for real

HollandNut
04-08-2014, 03:11 PM
my only find had been a bunch of j werds and brass

My buddy had someone call him too see if he was interested in "this old shotgun in a wooden case"

Got a 1928 12 ga double Holland for a song ..

Love Life
04-08-2014, 03:13 PM
No longer owned.

sparky45
04-08-2014, 03:22 PM
What a tease!!

Ickisrulz
04-08-2014, 08:17 PM
No longer owned.

Ok...but do you have pictures?

DLCTEX
04-09-2014, 09:37 AM
My garage sale gun finds were a Norinco SKS with bayonet for $50 in very good condition and a Win. 94 30-30 in good condition for $75 about 15 years ago.

mold maker
04-10-2014, 07:45 PM
My only yard sale gun find, was a push pull afair with a string held cork in the end.
Folks round here don't sell guns, but everybody has some.

MtGun44
04-11-2014, 04:05 PM
Unreal. Tease us for over a year and no pix. . . . . . . . . .

Bill

novalty
04-11-2014, 04:36 PM
This brings back old memories...

rondog
04-11-2014, 06:43 PM
My brother Dave has a drilling that his father-in-law liberated from a farmhouse in Belgium during the war. He found it in a canvas sleeve hanging on a hook on the back of a door. I've seen it, it's beautiful. Has some incredible engraving work on it, and it's still in that canvas sleeve, as-found. I can't post photos, I don't have any. Dave's in OK and I'm in CO.

He also has a Luger his FIL liberated from a German soldier he shot, in the holster, still loaded with the same ammo that was in it. Dave ain't selling either, those will go to his daughter, she's the only heir and she cherished her Grandpa.