PDA

View Full Version : What shortage? Springtime loading in progress,......

FISH4BUGS
04-05-2013, 12:26 PM
I just completed loading 3000 9mm over the last 2 weeks. 200 here, 300 there,....it adds up.
Cast and jacketed both. I'll stay off the submachine guns and that should last quite a while. Now on to 223, 308, 380, 38, 357, 44 and 45. I have plenty of powder, primers, bullets and brass. Since I shoot full auto, I buy in large lots of everything.
I only worry about replacing the components that I am using up.
Hopefully by the time I finish my springtime loading and burning up this load of ammo, the panic will have subsided. I really hesitate to shoot it all up because what if there are no components available to replace them?
Decision, decisions.

Doc_Stihl
04-05-2013, 01:41 PM
I keep looking at my shelves and wondering if I have enough to shoot the club matches this year if primers get scarce.

I'm spending more time loading and prepping brass than shooting lately.

FISH4BUGS
04-05-2013, 03:11 PM
You know, me too. The entire process of reloading is almost as enjoyable as the shooting.
Casting will take more time, which I actually like to do. Brass prep and casting has been good "no brainer" time for me. I processed some 2000 308 Cavim (Venezuelan) milsurp cases over the last two winters, along with at least as many Korg (Swedish) milsurp 223's. Resize, trim, swage and chamfer, mostly at about 300 or so at a time. Resize on the Dillon, trim on a Forster (finally bought an electric screwdriver to automate that a bit), swage with a Dillon swage, and chamfer with an RCBS hand tool.
If I can lay off the machine guns, this should last me for a while. 1000 9mm's make up an afternoon of shooting with subguns. It lasts 10 weeks (or more) at 100 per week with my S&W 3914.
I am lucky that I work from home.....be done at 5 and be in the shed at 5:05. Work for a couple of hours, have dinner, then ready for bed.
As my housemate/girlfriend says , it is "man knitting". Works for me......

Down South
04-05-2013, 08:32 PM
I loaded a few hundred 9mm a couple weeks ago but I'm planning a trip to the range tomorrow so those will be empty brass again. Look out plate racks!!!!!
I've got to get started on 5.56. I want to load at least 2000. I've got enough components to load at least several times that many.

arjacobson
04-05-2013, 08:56 PM
About the same here. I have loaded up 1200 .223-formed up 800 300 blackout-I FOUND a full coffee can of loaded 45acp under the bench(hg68 bullet). I have plenty stashed for all the other calibers I shoot. Other than being a bit short on small pistol primers I am sitting pretty good!!