PDA

View Full Version : Im feeling like a _______ trying to figure twist rate.

crackerjack57
04-04-2013, 12:14 PM
Hello Gentlemen. Im trying to figure out this twist rate thing for my Russian SKS and Norinco 7.62x39 rifles. i am shooting the lee 155 and 160 gn cast boolits made for this rifle. I am having good results in the bolt action norinco using the 155 grainers at about 2-2 1/2" at 100 y and if i clip the tip off giving me a flat nose and about 146 grain even better at 1 3/4" at 100 y. by the way, gas checked and sized to .312 wheel weights bn of 15. 14 1/2 gn of alliant 2400.

when i try this load in the sks and anywhere up to 16 1/2 gn of the 2400 i get 4" AT ONLY 50 Y. Im not quite ready to give up yet. so I did a little looking on the net and trying to figure the twist rate to bullet stability. according to the formula i should have a twist rate of 1:16 not 1:9.5 like the sks is. according to the trist rate formula i should be shooting a bullet that is roughly 1.45" long to match the barrel twist rate. well for this sks, that would be like lobbing a cannon ball from a sling shot. Im not sure of the twist rate of the bolt action norinco but it has got to be around there somewhere im thinking.

Just a little clarity is all.

Thanx
:grin:

44man
04-04-2013, 12:33 PM
Nothing you read will give it to you. I will forever never believe it is bullet length but it is drive area length. Some long bullets do not have much drive length touching rifling. Some short ones have a lot.
Every single formula will give a slower rate then what you really need.
Greenhill is the worst, it was made for cannons. Some alter the formula to suit what they shoot but it fails for other guns.
Personally, I want a faster twist.

PS Paul
04-04-2013, 12:40 PM
To elaborate on 44man's post, many rifle boolit mold designs have very little driving band touching the rifling. Some claim the bore-riding design is best, but it ain't always so. First things first (I am not exactly sure what the Lee design is and cannot check right now), at .312, can we presume you know the dimensions of your rifle? Could be too small OR not exactly fittin' the chamber? THAT is where I would start: figuring out the fit and THEN fine-tuning the load and boolit....

Don' know if this helps or not? Maybe too basic and elementary?

crackerjack57
04-04-2013, 12:44 PM
I did some more looking at the twist rate of my norinco and its a 1:9.5 aswell. not that I can change my twist rate but just for my own information I was wondering if my SKS might like a different bullet as it shoots like **** with any given combination but best with my 180 grainer paper patched .308 cast bullets with unique powder. only problem is they're too slow to use for hunting. not enough jam for deer.

crackerjack57
04-04-2013, 12:49 PM
I slugged my barrel and it comes out to .311. as for the lee cast mold, its the one designed for the sks. same bullet shape as the factory loads is what lee was trying to get but heavier because of being made out of lead. seating boollit back from touching rifling about .002-.003``

runfiverun
04-04-2013, 01:01 PM
that chrome lined barrel can't be helping the situation any.

crackerjack57
04-04-2013, 01:13 PM
Nope.... No chrome. Its a 1950 model. no chrome. All steel and in mint shape. Im a junior gunsmith so I`ve got lots to learn but this thing is stumping me. I even went right down to remove everything from the barrel. bayonnet, plug up gas chamber and remove gas tube, basically free float the barrel so the only variable is the barrel itself and just plain crappy results. even crowned the barrel. just plain crappy results. Im almost wondering if I should make my own mold that would be set up for paper patching thats longer, more area touching the lands with a rounded nose. hopefully around the 160 gn mark.

subsonic
04-04-2013, 01:33 PM
Twist is just one variable. I would say that it is not the twist that is your problem if you have another rifle with the same twist that is working just fine.

What rifle is a Norinco 7.62x39 bolt action??

44MAG#1
04-04-2013, 01:39 PM
I feel compelled to make a statement on the word "RETARD"
I know that it was meant in a comical way but, that is a word that to some, who may have a son or daughter that is retarded, may be hurtful.
My dad had a retarded sister who couldn't help the way she was. she never hurt anyone or even caused any problems.
She would sit and play with dolls and would keep to herself mostly.
Some mildly retarded people will be hired for meanial jobs such as table cleaners and such at McDonalds and other jobs at different places.
Someone on here may have a child or a close family member that is in that situation and I for one wouldn't want to offend anyone by using the word "RETARD" in even a joking way.
I am not saying we should be politically correct all the time, but, there is a line that we should not cross by being disrespectful just because we can.

I hope everyone understands what I am trying to get across.

Chilmonty
04-04-2013, 01:43 PM
How about "Barrel Detection Challenged"?

Just kidding, don't Taze Me!

crackerjack57
04-04-2013, 02:00 PM
Oh! Im sorry 44mag. there was no offense intended on my part and if I offended you or anyone else, I apologize. I was just looking at my math skills and thinking that after doing the calculation with the bullet used i should have a twist rate of about 1:14 not the regular 1:9.5 like they are all made to. I was thinking that my math skills were going down so far that if they entered me into the tv show ``are you smarter than a 5th grader`` i would defiantly loose!

crackerjack57
04-04-2013, 02:10 PM
In an hour or two I will post some target results and I will also see what I have for pix of the norinco.

joesig
04-04-2013, 02:38 PM
that chrome lined barrel can't be helping the situation any.
Please enlighten me why that would be the case? I would think chrome would be less susceptible to leading and an overall benefit.

crackerjack57
04-04-2013, 03:18 PM
I have heard of great results with a chrome barrel and the lead would probably be less. i cant comment as I have never had one. However, I have heard of some that have ran quite a few shots through a chromed barrel and if the chrome lining starts to peel off your barrel is junk. I guess that for one, am working in the steel industry and steel has never done me wrong. 2, have seen what can happen when chrome starts peeling off of steel. look at some old cars that had chrome over steel. look nice at the start but when it starts to peel is a mess. imagine a bullet passing over an area where it might start to peel off of. 3, just old fashioned. I figure if some of the rifles out there are over 100 years old and can still ``shoot yer eye out`` thats good enough for me. as for both of my rifles, all steel bore and i am having no issues at all with leading.

crackerjack57
04-04-2013, 03:27 PM
Here are pix of my sks and norinco. also target results.
http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u574/crackerjack577/sks5_zps43a1f9bc.jpeg
http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u574/crackerjack577/sks4_zps32e23fc5.jpeg
http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u574/crackerjack577/sks3_zps529a5935.jpeg
http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u574/crackerjack577/005_zpse104ff20.jpg
http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u574/crackerjack577/004_zpsf800ed84.jpg
http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u574/crackerjack577/norinco50yworkinuploads_zpsfb4de73b.jpeg
http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u574/crackerjack577/norinco50y5shots_zps65ff132a.jpeg
http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u574/crackerjack577/norinco50y5shots2_zps7efb32d2.jpeg
http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u574/crackerjack577/Norinco100y3shots_zps46ea331d.jpeg

crackerjack57
04-04-2013, 03:44 PM
the last picture is after dialing in the scope and its 3 shots at 100y. the modified 146 gn lee cast with gc and 14.5 gn of 2400 running at 1850 fps. the second last pix is a 5 shot group at 50 y. it is actually upside down. sorry. 5 shots using 7.5 gn unique and the 146 gn modified lee cast with gc. third last is 5 shots. 1 is a flyer and the other 4 together. 7 gns unique with the modified 146 gn gas checked cast. the picture with the multiple targets is what i was using to work up some 180 gn loads. poor results for the most part. all were 5 shot groups. with exception to the bottom left which i have posted as a single pix, the only other one that was any good was the middle right. it was running 146 gn lee modified with 14.5 gn of alliant 2400 gc. with exception to the last picture which was scope adjusted to the 100 y poi all others are aimed at the center and that was the results. some 5 shot groups only had 1 hit the intended target.

crackerjack57
04-04-2013, 04:05 PM
I forgot to mention...... all the target results are using the norinco. the sks just does about 5" groups at 100 y and they could be high, low, left or right. It has a mind of its own.

rond
04-04-2013, 06:24 PM
Is your scope base touching the spring cover on the SKS? If so, it is taking a hit each time you shoot, could affect the zero.

crackerjack57
04-04-2013, 06:32 PM
Nope. lots of clearance.

tom357mag
04-04-2013, 07:03 PM
I know that it was meant in a comical way but, that is a word that to some, who may have a son or daughter that is retarded, may be hurtful.
My dad had a retarded sister who couldn't help the way she was. she never hurt anyone or even caused any problems.
Some mildly retarded people will be hired for meanial jobs such as table cleaners and such at McDonalds and other jobs at different places.
Someone on here may have a child or a close family member that is in that situation and I for one wouldn't want to offend anyone by using the word "RETARD" in even a joking way.
I am not saying we should be politically correct all the time, but, there is a line that we should not cross by being disrespectful just because we can.

Thank you 44

PS Paul
04-04-2013, 09:59 PM
My stepdad has a brother with Down's Syndrome. Although the word retare does not offend me, I could understand where others might be..... He took great pleasure in pretending he was much more ""handicapped" than he actually was, which always made me angry. The women in our family ALWAYS fell for it, but we knew better. Now, back to the topic.

I did not want to offend with basic questions, but it seems you are having issues and have tried many solutions. If it were me, I'd adjust the variables, but it seems a real mystery and others far more clever and experienced than ME might offer help that WILL help.

Gtek
04-04-2013, 10:00 PM
WOOP-WOOP-PC POLICE, pull this thread over. Is there anything left we can do without offending someone? I also have an aunt that is RETARDED, and I love her just like everyone else I care for. Did you know your guns offend some people, did you know your high cap mags offends some people, did you know your truck offends some people, did you know you playing with lead offends some people. ON and ON and ON. I was born here, paid way to many taxes here all my life. Did you know I have the right to offend you! Maybe it would be a lot easier on us ignorant, insensitive people if you and "THEM" would come out with a real list and stick to it and not go changing it every couple years and then go looking down your noses at us cause we ain't keepin up! Gtek

Pilgrim
04-04-2013, 10:33 PM
I'm totally confused! The discussion is sorta about twist rate and accuracy. I may not understand what is going on in this thread, but here goes my 2 cents...If your norinco and the SKS both have the same twist, and one groups and the other doesn't, IMO twist is NOT your problem! Barrel condition and barrel uniformity end to end might be the culprit, but I suspect your comment re: the SKS not hitting in the same area every time, let alone grouping, is a major hint. I'd bet a nickle or two that the bedding, or lack of same is why one groups and the other doesn't. Re: Greenhill formula and it's applicability to small arms. I usta think it was some kinda absolute. Or at least I was led to believe so by the various publications I've read in the past. My belief was seriously disabused when I started shooting Hunter Benchrest. .30 cal. rifles all had a 10" twist didn't they? Uhhhh no, they don't! The rifles being used were pretty much all .30 cal. wildcats of one sort or another, and nearly all of them had twist rates of 1:15 or 1:17, with the 1:17 becoming more common all the time. We all used bullets of 135 to 150 gr. with 125 TNT's used occasionally, usually when custom hand made bullets were out of our private inventory. These rifles grouped in less than .1 when piloted by the right shooter and fed with the right ammunition. Greenhill be damned. These rifles couldn't read and the shooters only cared about accuracy and repeatability. Look for your answer someplace other than twist. Pilgrim

45-70 Chevroner
04-04-2013, 11:43 PM
I slugged my barrel and it comes out to .311. as for the lee cast mold, its the one designed for the sks. same bullet shape as the factory loads is what lee was trying to get but heavier because of being made out of lead. seating boollit back from touching rifling about .002-.003``

Actually, Ed Harris designed that boolit for Lee. He does almost all of his writting in the Castbullet Association's web site. There is some real good loading info on that boolit (C312-155-2R). I think you can find it if you go on Google and type in Ed Harris reloading cast bullets for the SKS. Or 7.62X39 reloading questions-THR and scroll down to (Vacek) There is a good artical by C E Harris lots of reloading info.

44MAG#1
04-05-2013, 12:25 AM
"WOOP-WOOP-PC POLICE, pull this thread over"

Where does one draw the line on being politically incorrect and being an inconsiderate individual.
Some have higher moral and ethical standards than others. Simply because some have no consideration for others when it comes to handicap people is not the same thing as some nut job wanting to do away with guns.
Comparing the 2 shows a lack of sensitivity in oneself.
What is next, going to an cancer treatment center and laughing at the people undergoing chemo and radiation and asking how much longer they have to live while s******ing at them?

Gtek
04-05-2013, 05:16 PM
First, I AM SORRY for offending the delicate. There has been some discussion that I thought I read a while back if using the Greenhill formula at the 150 constant can be regarded as a base. Mr. Paul Matthews stated 125 is more of a real number due to velocity increase if I can remember right. You can shoot in twist much faster until you overrun with velocity vs. hardness. The paper is going to be the answer, one thing in the combination can open up into ugly. OOPS, again with the inconsiderate, sorry to all the ugly targets out there. Gtek

jonp
04-05-2013, 08:20 PM
Yes, I am offended by what you say so you can't say it and The 1st Amendment be damned. Sound just like a perfect liberal don't I?

LC Press
04-05-2013, 09:18 PM
I am not offended but we have better vocabulary skills, right?

blackthorn
04-06-2013, 01:17 PM
A word is a word is a word and nothing more! The context in which the word is used is everything! I will be the first to challenge any statements that are directed wirh malice at any group (or individual)---BUT---I have very little time for those who are politically correct (PC) to a ridiculous degree. Gay can also mean happy!

44MAG#1
04-06-2013, 04:53 PM
1. Politically correct: : conforming to a belief that language and practices which could offend political sensibilities (as in matters of sex or race) should be eliminated.
2. Politically incorrect: Disregarding or unconcerned with political correctness.
3. Rude: a. Lacking the graces and refinement of civilized life; uncouth and
c. Ill-mannered; discourteous:
4. Caring: Feeling and exhibiting concern and empathy for others.

I am probably as politically incorrect as most but I have a caring nature and try not to offend the handicapped or people that cannot help how they are either physically or mentally.
If that makes me wrong so be it.
If trying to make me feel like a fool makes the politically incorrect crowd more secure in their selves consider I am fat, bald, ugly, not to smart and have tp wear a Depends pee pad at the age of 60.
Feel free to use any of those things to make light of me to make yourselves feel better and more of a "man".
It bothers me not one iota.
The last of my posts on this subject.
Get started and lets see what the "men" can come up with.

waksupi
04-06-2013, 09:15 PM
Considering it was an accepted and recognized word for most of the decades of my life, I will use it when the word fits. I like troll-like behavior even less.

Gtek
04-06-2013, 11:08 PM
[smilie=2:

44man
04-07-2013, 08:14 AM
I have to also agree it is something with the gun. They sure are as far from a target gun as you can get to start with.

Ziptar
04-07-2013, 09:19 AM
Instead of trying to use a formula or the Internet to check your twist rates check it yourself. Try this, Its easy and you already should have the tools for it. This even works on micro-groove barrels.

Grab the bronze brush for the particular caliber you want to check and your cleaning rod from your cleaning kit. (Bore Snakes won't work for this)

1) Shove the bronze brush attached to the rod down into the chamber and check that its flush with the base of the chamber.
2) Using a Sharpie mark the other end of the rod sticking out of the barrel with a hash mark.
3) Slowly pull the rod up out of the barrel by lightly gripping the rod and allowing it to turn.
4) As the rod is pulled out watch it's rotation and make note of how many revolutions or partial revolutions the rod makes.

The number of turns of the rod plus your barrel length is your twist rate. So if your rod make one full turn as you pull it out and your barrel is 16 inches long you've got a 1:16 twist barrel.

crackerjack57
04-08-2013, 03:41 PM
I am the one who started this thread and think that some are getting a little side tracked by my use of words directed toward myself. if we could get back on track, I think there could be a wealth of information here from all of you intelegant people that I know I could learn from. on both my norinco and sks the barrels and twist rates are the fixed variable. I cant or rather wont change these as it would be a good waste of money and I don't have a endless amount of that as I'm sure some of you are in the same boat. What I'm trying to learn is how the twist rate affects the length of boolit shot and how to get the best out of what I have. the SKS is a $ 350.00 gun and the Norinco a $ 450.00 gun all set up with scope. I could easily settle for the given accuracy that the SKS affords but it is kinda fun to see what small variables can be changed to yield a huge benefit in accuracy. I know that a difference of .5 gn of powder can cut my groups in half. I also know that on the SKS I have already done all the usual thought of things. the barrel is even free floated from the stock and the receiver is SOLID in the stock as well. the next variable that I came up with was the possible relation of twist rate vs boolit length of what I'm shooting right now. Hence my post. I have read all the ed Harris stuff on the SKS cartridge and am casting the 155 grain boolit suggested. I have already found that If i clip about 1/8" off the tip and clean it up to flat with rounded edges giving me about a 146 gn boolit that I can even shave off about another 1/2" off of my groups at 100y. My thinking is also that with the flat meplat it might even do me a bit better for hunting. I think the pointed boolit would be less efficient as a hunting round than something with a bit of a flat on it. Within the context of what I have said above, can anyone add some light to the subject without getting off course?

stephen m weiss
11-22-2014, 05:01 PM
Ok been there done that. The sks has an insane cool action but they put no thought into 1) temperature stability of zero 2) mounting a scope. I have a scope mounted on the rear receiver and ya gotta pin the receiver in place and re=zero every time you replace it. Even so, expect 10 moa shifts when the temp and humidity change much. I expect that the soviet soldier wasnt expected to use double sandbags much. I also expect they didnt spend a heck of a lot of time on the range before battle. The beauty of such a system is that randomly, with enough shooters, one might have the right inaccuracy to offset the lead of a moving target or wind or range inestimation and get a hit. Anyway.. expect to rezero frequently.. If you wanna show off your gunsmithing, you could completely redesign the mounting system of the sks. The front mount is a funny hook which grabs a halfmoon bar screwed across teh stock. The rear mount clicks in the trigger group to sort of pinch the wood stock between the receiver and trigger group. You would want to mount die springs or jack screws to force the receiver hard against teh wood which you had bedded. The front mount would be a real bugger, but perhaps after bedding teh stock, you could remove teh half moon bar and pull the hook down witha toggle bolt cable or something. Thats right thru the cleaning rod and bayonette though....so you would either ditch them or straddle them.

I gave up and just stopped taking a rest with it, haha. Most of my hunting shots are offhand anyway. Those darn deer and squirrels just love being somewhere I didnt plan for!

Larry Gibson
11-22-2014, 06:04 PM
It's the scope or the mount or both. Suggest you remove the scope and base, put the rear sight back on and try the SKS that way.

Larry Gibson

243winxb
11-22-2014, 10:01 PM
wheel weights bn of 15 15 seems high for WWs? Are you oven heat treating them? Go harder alloy, bullets are skidding as they leave the muzzle. Just my guess.

JSnover
11-23-2014, 07:31 AM
Unless you're shooting an oddball load, the twist rate is not your problem. With proven SKS-appropriate boolits within the normal pressure range, if it shoots summer groups (sum'r here, sum'r there) look for loose/poorly fitted parts.

Digital Dan
11-23-2014, 12:00 PM
This thread makes me chuckle a little. Have often said that only challenging rifles are interesting but my personal threshold of pain has kept me away from ComBlock manufactured military weapons, for better or worse. Lot of inscrutable folks tried to whack me years ago with AKs and SKS rifles to no avail. Mostly they didn't even come close. Soviet Milspec for accuracy with production of AKs was about 2X the US standard for the -16, have no earthly idea what was imposed (?) on the SKS. Presumably newer production might be a little better, but reading here, maybe not.

Cases in point: I purchased a used Rem 700 chambered in .22-250 that the owner did not trust due to unscheduled discharges on safety release and sometimes when he just closed the bolt. Bought it dirt cheap. Sent it out west and had it rebarreled with a Douglas pipe and chambered in .250 Savage. First two groups fired at 100 yards were .685" (Nosler BT 85gr) and .257" (Nosler PT 100 gr.). Talk about boring...

A Ruger 77/44 which I decided to load with paper patch right out of the gate. Had a bullet made back in '98 by Montana Precision Swaging and while the cupped base version of the 300 grain slug had velocity limits due to pressure, the flat base version with a card wad is a zinger and consistently sub MOA at 100 yds. I load it and kill stuff, end of story. Boring.

Handed down from my grandfather was a Rem 513S with barrel problems. First attempt to remedy was a liner which did not work at all. Second attempt, some 10 years later was a new barrel by Shilen. It is scary accurate now, but I seldom shoot it.

I also purchased a Peter Reinhard built .38 caliber picket rifle, 33" twist w/groove depth of .018", vintage 1876. Guess which one keeps my mind occupied.

That said, half the world can't hit squat with an SKS and I'm not going to try making a silk purse out of a sow's ear. My humble respect to those who not only try that, but more significantly, succeed.

Best wishes and good luck,

Dan

Echo
11-23-2014, 01:29 PM
Thank you 44

Plus 1...

9w1911
11-23-2014, 01:35 PM
Errrrr, you understand you called someone out for being insensitive and yet you use the same word in your post. OK

Pilgrim
11-23-2014, 02:50 PM
Free floating your barrel is no guarantee of accuracy improvement. Why do you suppose most gun mfgrs use a small pressure point at the end of the forend? It sure as h××× isn't to degrade accuracy! At this point I would find a way to put 3 or 4 # of upward pressure somewheres near the muzzle. If you can't get it near the muzzle, buy one of those doughnut thingys that you slide up/down your barrel to find a null spot. Supposedly that can/will help accuracy. One other thought...you may just have a lousy barrel. FWIW

Hannibal
11-23-2014, 03:04 PM
"WOOP-WOOP-PC POLICE, pull this thread over"

Where does one draw the line on being politically incorrect and being an inconsiderate individual.
Some have higher moral and ethical standards than others. Simply because some have no consideration for others when it comes to handicap people is not the same thing as some nut job wanting to do away with guns.
Comparing the 2 shows a lack of sensitivity in oneself.
What is next, going to an cancer treatment center and laughing at the people undergoing chemo and radiation and asking how much longer they have to live while s******ing at them?

I'm offended that you are offended. It is obvious to anyone that the OP was talking about himself, and not lashing out at anyone else. If I were inclined, I could take issue with nearly anything anyone posts on this forum. But I choose not to. Sheesh.

Hannibal
11-23-2014, 03:10 PM
Free floating your barrel is no guarantee of accuracy improvement. Why do you suppose most gun mfgrs use a small pressure point at the end of the forend? It sure as h××× isn't to degrade accuracy! At this point I would find a way to put 3 or 4 # of upward pressure somewheres near the muzzle. If you can't get it near the muzzle, buy one of those doughnut thingys that you slide up/down your barrel to find a null spot. Supposedly that can/will help accuracy. One other thought...you may just have a lousy barrel. FWIW

In most cases, I believe that is to compensate for a barrel that started life out bowed and has been straightened. Then it has been pressure-point bedded to try and keep it where it was bent for re-alignment. But you will have to form your own opinion about mass-produced rifles.

stephen m weiss
11-23-2014, 03:13 PM
I should point out to those who pick up on the squabble, that this thread is years old. The interesting part, the gunsmitthery or lack thereof in an sks, is both very old and never dying, but quite interesting as pointed out by others.

Another reason to continue to bash away at this issue with the sks: The case size is nearly ideal for midweight 30 cal cast bullets which rarely hold 1moa for long anyway, so a rifle that peaks out at 2-3 moa is just fine. The action is very forgiving, even if some unburned powder or grits get involved. It's semi auto and with a nice load will dump the brass at your feet but burn those inexpesive rounds in a very satisfying manner. So, its ok for an unexpected meeting with momma bear on my land. I always feel a little funny about bolt action at night vs large fast p'd off bears. Finally, with its fixed mag and wood stock, its not regulated by NY Safe so I dont have to worry about transport and shooting at the range and such.

So, the pressure point stuff is usually to remedy barrel harmonics, which is almost assuredly an issue on the sks. Another way to remedy this is by dropping the ammount of powder by 1/2 or so, which bare base cast bullets are happy with. A lousy barrel would create flyers and such a lot, which mine normally does to the tune of 5 moa with factory ammo. But 10 moa zero shifts smack of mounting, either the barrel, the action, the receiver or the scope. Since the receiver cover and scope mounts feel rock solid, and temperature seems so often the driver for the shifts, I suspect the barrel to stock mount. I will see if the reduced loads give increased accuracy.

Hannibal
11-23-2014, 03:21 PM
So. You pick up on a thread dead over a year, and then comment on the same. Allrighty, then. Carry on.:veryconfu

Harter66
11-23-2014, 04:53 PM
Well at least ya can't send him to the stickies someone is obviously reading deeply.

Motor
11-23-2014, 05:18 PM
So. You pick up on a thread dead over a year, and then comment on the same. Allrighty, then. Carry on.:veryconfu

OMG, Thanks for this post. I was about to post "on topic" oh yeah the poor shooting sks topic but now won't bother. I would guess the OP has figured it out by now. LOL

Harter66
11-23-2014, 05:56 PM
As slow as things have been all over I'm kind of glad to see something move . I have an old 59/66 that shoots factory into a foot or so at 100 (the bbl is 305x316 ) . With a cast papered bullet and brass fattened up it shoots nice little 3x5s with its mushy 1/2 inch of trigger expedition and a 200gr spire point.

The beauty of and old thread finding it way to the top again is that sometimes a guy just stuck the gun back away and somebody finds something that just pulls it all together. I for 1 never gave much thought to bedding a a semi-auto rifle or adding tip pressure to a rifle that goes through as much movement as an sks or ak,at every shot. I may attempt to stiffen the bedding in mine and go back and try the 312-155 again,patched of course.

I have read many times of the sks dropping brass at the operators feet Ive even seen it ,but mine lobs brass in a 12 foot 1/3 of a circle. So I need to work on that it has the forged dust cover with the see through scope mounts ,I'd say 10 minutes of movement optimistic and why a 22" bbl for a cartridge that is all done in 16-18 at best ? Unless they share all of the 91 30 Nagant bbl tooling.

mattw
11-23-2014, 06:49 PM
To verify twist rate, put a mark on your cleaning rod then 1 foot later make another mark and make a third mark that extends the length of the rod past the mark closest to the handle. Now insert cleaning rod to first mark and push in to the second mark counting the revs that the long line makes... Now you know the twist rate per foot.

stephen m weiss
11-23-2014, 10:59 PM
My sks is a 20" barrel and interior ballistics shows for my 1500 fps load, it gains 200 fps in the last 5 inches, during which pressure is nearly constant. That's 25% extra energy, so quite worth it as far as reducing powder cost and peak pressure.

Idea is great, but twist rate is turn per number of inches. Similar but inverse of screw threads in english, more like the metric designation. either way it makes sense to check my gun just for general knowledge.

tankgunner59
07-07-2021, 07:38 PM
OK. I have been doing some investigating on my Norinco SKS and came across this thread, I don't care how old it is. That being said, throughout reading here I have been wondering if you had tried any other powders. I use the Lyman cast bullet handbook myself and it doesn't even list 2400 as a powder for the Lee- 312-155-2R, which is the mold I use also. It lists IMR 4227 as the most accurate, which I haven't tried yet but I am now going to do a ladder test with it. I use Accurate 5744, with 14gn start load and 19gn max load. I was getting pretty wide groups going up the ladder till I got to 19gn charges. With 19gn's I was not only able to get groups inside 2" at 100 yards, but it was the only charge that would function the action properly.
If you can get your hands on some IMR 4227 I would do a ladder with it, Start load at 13gn. and Max load at 18gn. I have found in the past with a round that performs poorly with one powder can do much better with another comparable powder. FWIW

Huskerguy
07-07-2021, 08:45 PM

I am retired from education and that term has not been used for some time. I too noticed the word in the title. Sorry to hijack the thread. And yes, count me in the less than politically correct category as well but I have to stand up for some of my students. Blessings

crackerjack57
07-07-2021, 09:37 PM
I am retired from education and that term has not been used for some time. I too noticed the word in the title. Sorry to hijack the thread. And yes, count me in the less than politically correct category as well but I have to stand up for some of my students. Blessings

I see that I have offended some with my choice of words. In hind sight I should of chosen better. I will next time. Again, my apologies.

As for load on the sks, I have finalized on a load that shoots well for that gun. I’m using NOE’s 155 gn flat nosed gas checked bullet in a .315 diameter and powder coating them and as your saying settled on 4227 powder. For my gun it just works the best. 17.2 gn. Can get 1 1/2-2” groups all day at 100y.

Gtek
07-07-2021, 10:05 PM
Wonderful to hear after eight years you have seen progress with your accuracy CHALLENGED rifle!

tankgunner59
07-07-2021, 10:17 PM
I am going to take mine out, hopefully this weekend to try some rounds loaded with IMR 4227. Thanks for the good report, I'll be working up to 17.2gn to see if this is the sweet charge for mine. I look forward to the testing, in my opinion it's one of the most enjoyable parts of the addiction. Enjoy your new found load for what I think is a awesome gun to shoot.

crackerjack57
07-10-2021, 01:01 AM
I am going to take mine out, hopefully this weekend to try some rounds loaded with IMR 4227. Thanks for the good report, I'll be working up to 17.2gn to see if this is the sweet charge for mine. I look forward to the testing, in my opinion it's one of the most enjoyable parts of the addiction. Enjoy your new found load for what I think is a awesome gun to shoot.

Well am I happy! I took my new sks to the range today and after sighting it in was able with iron sights to do a honest 1 1/4” triangle group at 100m or 110 yards. If I were to die right now I’d die a happy man! (At least pertaining to my new sks ) this was achieved using the 155 gn Lee pointed sks bullets gas checked and powder coated. 17.2 gn 4227. Also 2 years ago using that load but the noe ranch dog copy flat nosed 155 gn I took a mulie doe at 210 yards. It walked 10 yards and dropped. When gutting her there were no distinguishing organs in her chest. It was all jello. It hits with authority.