PDA

View Full Version : Got a buddy that needs a helping hand

MBTcustom
04-04-2013, 10:50 AM
He's a good Christian man. Just adopted a family of four orphaned boys, to add to his current family of 3 boys. So a total of 7 boys, mom and dad living in a house he built with lumber from his own sawmill. You can imagine the respect I have for this feller!

Anyway, he came to the shop Tuesday, and dropped off a sad looking RI armory 1911, and asked if I could "go through it" and make sure it's fit for service, carrying and teaching all these boys to shoot! LOL! I guarantee you, he won't recognize it by the time I'm through with it.
He also said he would like me to get him set up to reload, and cast his own boolits, and gave me some money to get the stuff with (should be enough if I can get some good deals).
I PMed a friend here on the forum about some lead, so that is covered.
I am donating my Lyman press to this, and I also have a herters powder throw with the stand that I'm going to give him, and I have an extra MTM loading block for him.
He is trying to load for a Henry big boy in 45 colt, and this 1911.
I need a mold that will do for both, a powder scale, a way to prime the brass, and reloading dies.
I'm going to try to dig up a pair of calipers and a 1" micrometer, but I got rid of my only spare recently.
Like I said, I have a small amount of money to work with but it's gonna be tight, and dad gum it, I can't find anybody that has what he needs in stock.
I figured I would ask here and see what turns up.
Thanks fellers.

NewbieDave007
04-04-2013, 11:06 AM
goodsteel,

I'm also in Arkansas and I'm just getting into reloading myself. I bought my digital caliper at Harbor Freight in LR and I want to say that it was on sale for around $10.

I didn't see you list components. Are you/he in need of brass? I have been picking up range brass and could donate a little bit if it would help. I have a very limited amount of 45 Colt, but I do have some 45 ACP.

Just let me know.
Dave

texassako
04-04-2013, 11:24 AM
I have a Lee Ram Prime if that will work for the primers. Does he need a book? I now have an extra Lyman 49th since I was shipped the wrong thing and they said keep it. I was planning on putting it up on here anyway and wondering how to get it to someone who actually needed it. I have about 35 .45 ACP cases I can throw in as well since I don't shoot one.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-04-2013, 11:38 AM
PM sent about a 2 cav Lee TL mold and Lyman 45 colt dies

MBTcustom
04-04-2013, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the help fellers! I think I've got him covered on ACP brass, and he's been saving all his colt brass for over a year on my recommendation, so he's got it covered there.
I think that Ram Prime would work perfectly for a guy getting started. Looks easy to use and understand.
He could also use that book! I was going to point him to Hodgdons website, but a Lyman book woul be invaluable at this point.
A couple members have helped greatly with molds, so He's covered there.
He needs a way to melt his lead. At the least, does someone have a decent ladle? If somebody has an old lee 10 pound pot, that would be better still. I can fix it if it drips real bad etc.
He also needs some 45 colt dies?

I would like to reiterate that I'm looking for good deals, not asking for handouts.
Thanks for all the help. You are all a credit to this community.

MBTcustom
04-04-2013, 07:31 PM
I gotta say, I'm pumped about this one fellers! I teach folks to cast and reload all the time, but this feels like I'm going to be teaching a whole boyscout troop lol!
A dad with 7 sons! That's gonna be more fun than chasing bozo the clown with a paintball gun!

Olevern
04-04-2013, 09:37 PM
Do they have a .22 rifle?

MBTcustom
04-04-2013, 10:05 PM
Matter of fact they do, and a darn good one. This is the guy that let me use his company truck (he runs a tree trimming service) to drive 275 miles to get my milling machine, and then drove his big boom truck to the shop, and unloaded it for me. He would take no reimbursement for fuel or time. I hated to be that much in debt to another man, so I made sure that my CZ452 Ultra Lux was behind the seat of his truck when he drove off. Never felt so good about giving away one of my best firearms. I thought "Dang, he's got 3 boys, surely he can get more use out of it than I ever will". Now that hes got enough boys to single handedly make up a pretty good boyscout troop, I'm even happier that I did that LOL!

Olevern
04-04-2013, 10:46 PM
Good deal. That's a fine .22 rifle. This man has my respect and admiration for opening up his heart and home to orphans. What age range?

MBTcustom
04-04-2013, 11:13 PM
I think the oldest is 13, and the youngest is in diapers. What brood huh?
What really makes this such an awesome thing is that the four boys he adopted were brothers. Last I talked to him, he told me that he and his wife really wanted to adopt siblings, 2 or 3 kids that they could keep together, and save them from the system or being broken up.
Now he comes by Tuesday and tells me this awesome story about how these four boy's parents were killed in an accident or something, and didn't have a chance of being adopted together. They were toast. What's more, his kids knew these boys from school already, and got along great, so they went after them! He told me that they are all getting along great, and it's just the family that they have always wanted.
In this life, a man only gets one or two shots to put his money where his mouth is, and make a statement that can't be ignored.
I'm proud to call him a friend, and by golly, if he asks me to help him get a reloading setup together, then I will do just that!
Think about it. If you were to die unexpectedly and leave your kids alone in this world, it's a terrifying thought. But there are men and women like these folks out there, that would take your whole orphaned family in and fight for them like they were their own.
Ha! I'm not too proud to say it! I love these folks!

retread
04-04-2013, 11:29 PM
Does he need a powder scale. Have a good Ohaus that I could donate to the cause.

MBTcustom
04-04-2013, 11:31 PM
Does he need a powder scale. Have a good Ohaus that I could donate to the cause.

PM incoming!

MBTcustom
04-04-2013, 11:32 PM
Sweet! I just scored him a Lee 10 pound pot and a .452 sizer from Natchez.

jeepvet
04-09-2013, 04:20 PM
I don't have any duplicates or unused equipment, but I would also like to help out a man and woman that have this much character, strength and love for God and their fellow man. Is there a way That I could make a monetary donation to the cause and let you purchase other needed equipment or supplies?

garym1a2
04-09-2013, 07:42 PM
Any other loading item you need?

MBTcustom
04-09-2013, 08:10 PM
Thanks jeepvet, but I only asked for a helping hand because of availability issues. I was hoping to find some good deals, and that I have. I know this feller really well, I will have to approach the fact that some of these items were gifted, very carefully. If I were to let it slip that somebody sent money, there would be no question whatsoever, he would be offended. That's why I asked for some good deals or sources.

garym1a2,
The only thing that I definitely still need to find is a set of 45ACP dies.

So far, I have:
A Lyman Spartan press, a loading block, FWFL/45-45-10 lube, and patient tutelage from myself.
A nice RCBS SWC from Bullshop
A Lee 45-230 TLRN and a set of Lyman all american dies from JonBin glenco.
One of the CD's that brass magnet was giving away.
65 pounds of lead from blackbike
An Ohaus scale from retread
A powder throw from DLCTEX
A set of Lee handles from Ajax
From Natchez, I got him a 10lb pot and a .452 sizing die.

All in 5 days.

You guys are amazing. The fact that something like this can happen, with all the shortages in the market now, is simply humbling.
I feel like a man in the desert who asked for a drink, and got crystal glass of ice water.

My friends: Thank you.

Rattlesnake Charlie
04-09-2013, 08:26 PM
All of my gear is in Albuquerque while I'm at work up SW of Kansas City. I can't send any gear, of which I have some duplicates, but I can send some bucks since I've had a job since October. PM me your address. Greenbacks headed their way.

cbrick
04-09-2013, 08:44 PM
Just stumbled onto this thread, I thought I had 45 ACP dies from a box of "stuff" I bought years ago but I just tore half the shop apart and no dice. Dang, must have given them to somebody. I have an old Lyman balance beam but your list says you have that covered. Anything else your still looking for?

Tell your friend that anything he gets from here isn't a handout, it's a down payment on the future. When he gets 7 youngsters shooting, reloading and casting think of the value of that.

Rick

MBTcustom
04-09-2013, 09:23 PM
Heck he's gonna have to reload just to be able to afford to keep all those young-uns in ammo LOL! Think about having 5 teenage boys, all wanting to shoot! Lord have mercy. It's a darn good thing he's getting an early start.
I've been trying to convince him to get into this for the last 10 years, and my jedi mind tricks finally worked. I think he sees the writing on the wall LOL!
I have a set of C&H dies that will get him going. They are carbon steel though and old as the hills of Kentucky (you know the old nickle plated kind?)
I think that just about has him covered!

I'm trying to think about what else.

He could use a casting thermometer, but I did without one of those for 15 years, so it's not high on the priority list.
I bought a pint of Bullplate, so he'll be able to keep that aluminum mold running young.
Aha! I think he's going to need shellholders for both calibers. I'll check the gettin place.

jj850
04-10-2013, 12:18 AM
I have a set of lee 45acp dies you can have . pm me where to send them.

Firebricker
04-10-2013, 12:32 PM
Tim, You said you were good on moulds but here is a thought I have a Lyman 454190 that need the top trued up (right up your alley) If you want it to fix and sell to put towards a lead pot or components PM a address and it's yours. FB

encoreman
04-11-2013, 01:35 AM
Hey Tim, looks like you got most of the reloading covered. How is he fixed for .22 ammo for all them boys? I will gladly donate 2 bricks of .22 for them to learn and enjoy with. Let me know where to send them. I thank you and all the guys for coming thru for this family. Tell your buddy I salute him for taking on this big responsibility of raising these boys.

trapper300RUM
04-11-2013, 03:47 AM
hey goodsteel will he need a bullet puller i have one of those impact pullers & it has 2 sets of collets youre welcome to it for ya friend Iam waiting on my SSACheck to arrive beforei can mailit to ya but assoon as it arrives i can put it in the post I don't use it i got the RCBS Die type

MBTcustom
04-11-2013, 06:50 AM
Encoreman, that is an amazing gift. Especially at this time. PM sent!

MBTcustom
04-11-2013, 06:52 AM
Trapper, you're right, I hadn't even thought of a boolit puller. That is rather necessary isn't it? especially for a new caster! Thank you!

shaper
04-14-2013, 09:54 PM
Hi Goodsteel, I didn't know this side of the site was here, just found it tonight. You were kind to me last week so I would like to help also. You mentioined a ladle but I didn't see where you have one yet. I have two, so if you need one, it's yours. send me an address. I also am new at this. Been collecting lead for a year now. Just started to locate and buy the other items I need to actually cast and reload. I really enjoy reading all the posts every night.

bear67
04-18-2013, 09:05 AM
I should have extra shellholders for .45 acp and .45 Colt. Just pm what you are short of and we will peruse the junk box.
You are doing good. He is doing great.

Geraldo
04-18-2013, 09:15 AM
I've got a set of RCBS plastic dial calipers he can have. I might have some .45 auto parts too if you need any for his 1911.

oldfart1956
04-23-2013, 09:25 AM
Goodsteel I'm afraid I got here a little late for the party but something I haven't seen mentioned as yet is powder. I rekkin a feller'd go thru a parcel of powder loading up 2 .45's for a gaggle of kids like that. Now I'm not keen on shipping powder but would a donation for the purchase of powder be accepted? You pm me your address and I'll send the check. You get the powder (I assume it's available) and you donate it from the forum. Bein's as how (Pa. dutch for..."since") seems everything else is puddy much covered. Audie...the Oldfart..

MBTcustom
04-23-2013, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the offer Audie, but he needed equipment, not money. The only thing he still lacks is mold handles. Can't seem to find a set anywhere. Eh Sarah Sarah. I can loan him one of my Lyman's till things settle down.
Thanks for all the help fellers! I think he's setting pretty.
I knew you all would help a guy who needs a hand but dang! You hooked him up, and I appreciate it!
Thank you!

oldfart1956
04-23-2013, 09:09 PM
Thanks for the offer Audie, but he needed equipment, not money. The only thing he still lacks is mold handles. Can't seem to find a set anywhere. Eh Sarah Sarah. I can loan him one of my Lyman's till things settle down.
Thanks for all the help fellers! I think he's setting pretty.
I knew you all would help a guy who needs a hand but dang! You hooked him up, and I appreciate it!
Thank you!

Well heck...now mebbe I can help you out. How many sets does he need? I got 2 sets of the Lymans sittin' here for single/double cavity molds. I don't use em. I like the bigguns' ! I'd be glad to git these little boogers out of the way. Now pm me that address. :) Audie...waiting....waiting....the Oldfart.

MBTcustom
04-23-2013, 11:37 PM
Thank you very much.
I'm gonna shut up now. He has everything he needs and then some! If he gets anything else I think he might go into information overload lol!

If there is anybody that I haven't thanked, please forgive me! In all my life, I have never been visited by UPS, USPS and Fedex so much in one week! My shutzenwagon is stacked high with all the stuff you guys have sent. It's actually a little overwhelming.
A heartfelt thank you to all who helped. I guarantee the recipient deserved it!

trapper300RUM
04-24-2013, 12:30 AM
I just wished i could have given more equipment that i did

oldfart1956
04-24-2013, 08:15 AM
HUzzah! Goodsteel you're a good man and the handles go in the post on Thursday. Now I poured thru the list a few more times...seen he has a tumble lube mold and no mention of Alox. Seems I have the entire production run of Lee Alox from 1999 so I'll tuck a bottle of that in there and you kin teach him how to make 45/45/10 or he kin use it as is. Also saw no mention of a primer pocket cleaning tool. I found a RCBS one in the junk drawer and it's in puddy good shape. A little bedraggled cause some idjit stuck the large primer thingy into a small primer pocket but I got most of it straightened out. I'll vac-pac all this so it don't rattle around too much in a small flat-rate box tonight before going to work (10pm) so let me know if there's anything here he doesn't need...or anything he does. And thank you for letting me be part of it. Audie...the Oldfart...

sparkz
04-25-2013, 01:05 PM
Tim

Sean and I are still new to Brass Loading But I know how hard it can be,

I lost my wife and raised 2 small kids on my own so
It can get crazy hard on them,,

Please if posb maybe look over his "Reloading Kit / Bench" and maybe post up a sorta want / need
Sean and I would love to help the family out,
as small as we are I am sure we can give something he may need to help get him / themgoing

Please advise

Patrick & Sean Campbell

rainyday
05-20-2013, 05:24 PM
i have a lube pad and 2 plastic loading blocks that i can send.. if you p/m me an address, i can get in the mail this week. i will also look around and see if i have any thing else

MBTcustom
05-20-2013, 05:35 PM
No big deal rainy! I've got him covered on those things.
Besides, it's going to take long enough to sort through this massive pile of goodies he's got here. We're just trying to find a weekend that we both have clear, that I can set all this stuff up and teach him.
I asked if I could take a picture of him and a the kiddoes and he said absolutely.

sparky45
05-20-2013, 05:38 PM
I make custom reloading blocks from thick American Black Walnut or Wild Cherry and I could slip a couple in the mail tomorrow if he could use them. I'll need a heads up concerning caliber.

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb351/glynnm1945/RBlocks1_zps066fbd3a.jpg (http://s1201.photobucket.com/user/glynnm1945/media/RBlocks1_zps066fbd3a.jpg.html)

Here's what I make.

MBTcustom
05-20-2013, 05:53 PM
That is some amazing work there sparky, and thank you for offering, but honestly, he's covered.
It's going to be shellshock enough seeing as how he has never pulled the handle of a press before.
I don't want to overwhelm the guy, ya know?

sparky45
05-20-2013, 10:47 PM
I understand Tim. It's a grand thing you are doing, I'm not surprised by this Forums response.

Sparky45

srtolly
05-28-2013, 01:35 PM
I just found this thread and I'm pretty new to the forum. There appear to be some awesome folks here. Kudos to everyone for being stand up people.

Scott

D Crockett
05-29-2013, 12:46 AM
goodsteel if you need a smelting pot and a couple of ingot moulds pm me and let me know and I will be happy to make them up for your frind D Crockett

bhop
06-19-2013, 05:13 AM
still need a 0-1" mic?

DRNurse1
07-07-2013, 10:29 AM
Forum folks and Mr Goodsteel:

W O W !

What a kind outpouring of help for one of our member's (Goodsteel) and his cause. I noticed some folks offering help have less than 100 posts and some have thousands. I am proud to associate with such kind and helpful folks.

Hats off to this Forum for making this good thing possile, the Moderators for keeping the forum running (Goodsteel, too), and all the members.