PDA

View Full Version : Lee 44 Caliber Ranch Dog molds

Bo1
04-03-2013, 02:20 PM
I have 2 Never used Lee Ranchdog 44 caliber 6 cavity molds that are 260gr, and 300gr. Both are tumble lube, and gas checked.

Is there someone out there that yall could recommend that I could send these molds to to have the GC's milled out of, and would it also be feasable to mill them into standard lube molds instead of tumble lube? Would it be worth it, or should I just sell them and get the molds I desire?

Thanks,
Bo

Doc_Stihl
04-03-2013, 02:25 PM
You could mill the gas check shank off but with the tumble lube grooves I don't know what you'd get for a base. You could also ream the shanks to drive band size, which is how I prefer to remove them.
As far as recutting the lube grooves, I don't think that's possible.

You'd probably be better off selling them and getting what you want. Lee makes a 200gr RNFP and a 240gr RN in Plain base.

Carolina Cast Bullets
04-03-2013, 02:26 PM
They were designed for 44 caliber rifles and as such, need or should have the gas checks. IMHO, they are too heavy for use in
a pistol or revolver. With that being said, they are not much more than junk to you if you want to use them in a revolver.
Send them to me and I'll see to it that they are properly disposed of.

Jerry
Carolina Cast Bullets

SciFiJim
04-04-2013, 12:53 AM
If they are not what you can use, put them up for sale in the swapin n sellin forum for what you paid and buy what you need. They are popular with the .44 rifle guys and should not take long to sell.

williamwaco
04-04-2013, 06:59 PM
Contact

http://www.hollowpointmold.com/

He can remove the gas check for you.

I don't know about those molds but he has done this for many members here including myself and does excellent work.

44 mag nut
04-04-2013, 10:33 PM
I use them in my SBH and SRH. I run them thru my lube sizer with LBT and have never had any leading issues.

armexman
04-04-2013, 11:04 PM
Mr. Jerry C.C. Bullets
Should I stop shooting RD280 grain boolits through my Model 29? or the 310 grn Lee's?
I try to keep them lightly loaded with 17.2grains of WC820. My friend uses 20 grns of H110; but he is weird like that;)
Gracias

RobS
04-04-2013, 11:44 PM
Buckshot on this forum may be able to help you out.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?67-Buckshot

fcvan
04-05-2013, 12:01 AM
Removing the gas check shank is doable, converting to normal lube groove is not. You would have to add material to the mold block to create the groove. I have seen folks use standard lube on tumble lube boolits but I have never tried that myself. I don't own any tumble lube boolit molds. Maybe someone can chime in on using standard lube on the TL design.

If you remove the check shank, and lube with standard lube I would think you would nee to keep your loads below the threshold of leading which for some is around 1200 fps. Boolit masters have pushed plain based boolits much higher than that but they are in the zen master category of caster/reloader. Even so, I think that requires a standard lube groove so that there is enough lube being pumped into the bore as the boolit travels. Hopefully, someone with more experience with the TL design will provide you with a better answer