PDA

View Full Version : Toy Soldier Mold

cat223
04-03-2013, 12:24 AM
I came across this at my father-in-law's house today. I just had to try it out. Then I figured all you boolit casters would think that this is as cool as I do. My father-in-law said that he and his brother cast soldiers with this set and painted them back around 1939.

Tazman1602
04-03-2013, 12:32 AM
Now that is AWESOME!!!!

Art

JeffinNZ
04-03-2013, 03:16 AM
A friend of mine bought moulds similar a while back. One day I intend to borrow them, cast a heap of soldiers in pure lead and hold a MLer shoot. The event will be the "Patriot Shoot" where each shooter is issued 2-3 soldiers, they have to gather wood, start a fire using tradition means, melt the lead, cast a ball and ring a gong. First to ring the gong wins.

P.K.
04-03-2013, 07:00 AM
A friend of mine bought moulds similar a while back. One day I intend to borrow them, cast a heap of soldiers in pure lead and hold a MLer shoot. The event will be the "Patriot Shoot" where each shooter is issued 2-3 soldiers, they have to gather wood, start a fire using tradition means, melt the lead, cast a ball and ring a gong. First to ring the gong wins.

First thing I thought of was the movie "The Patriot." I'll never forget the sceane near an open fire where Ben melts the last of his son's soldiers and cast's them into RB's. One of my favorite movies.

Alchemist
04-03-2013, 07:11 AM
Imagine what a similar set would be like these days....the instructions would weigh at least 50 lbs with all the warnings re: lead, heat, pyschological damage inflicted by war mongering inanimate figures, etc. Plus the manual would have to be printed in at least 5 languages.....

Pb2au
04-03-2013, 07:39 AM
SO very jealous...............

Harter66
04-03-2013, 09:38 AM
Al,
You just had to rain on it didnt you?:grin:
It would have to be cast from hypoalergenic biodegradable air curing polymeric something or synthetic latex in only clear .

That is so cool I would love to have some thing like that,better yet the mould for the 2" para troopers .

Memory lane ,probably better in memory than it ever really was, the little 25 soldier sets w/bazooka guys,prone riflemen,medics,grenade guys, a guy in a jeep and 1 soldier just standing there palms up confused.......we now return you to the thread and how cool the mould set is really.

Tazman1602
04-03-2013, 09:58 AM
First thing I thought of was the movie "The Patriot." I'll never forget the sceane near an open fire where Ben melts the last of his son's soldiers and cast's them into RB's. One of my favorite movies.

That scene is EXACTLY what went through my mind when I saw this mold PK. I am very envious of that mold, those were indeed the days.......

This mold also reminded me of a book I read a few years back: "The Man Who Changed How Boys and Toys Were Made: The Life
and Times of A. C. Gilbert, the Man Who Saved Christmas"

Which was about the man who invented the erector set (yes, I'm dating myself here and only the old guys will remember these...), A.C. Gilbert was also the guy who invented and patented...........the first...............personal vibrator..........<grin>

Oh for the days where you had to make your own toys and not sit in front of a blasted video console all day long..............

Art

P.K.
04-03-2013, 10:19 AM
That scene is EXACTLY what went through my mind when I saw this mold PK. I am very envious of that mold, those were indeed the days.......

This mold also reminded me of a book I read a few years back: "The Man Who Changed How Boys and Toys Were Made: The Life
and Times of A. C. Gilbert, the Man Who Saved Christmas"

Which was about the man who invented the erector set (yes, I'm dating myself here and only the old guys will remember these...), A.C. Gilbert was also the guy who invented and patented...........the first...............personal vibrator..........<grin>

Oh for the days where you had to make your own toys and not sit in front of a blasted video console all day long..............

Art

Art,

Sorry Jeff, you opened a can o' somthin getting us old codgers reminissin'. ;-)

You'll like this, I put many of the ideas in this book to use and can't wait to introduce my son to it. It's chock full of all the stuff those tree huggin' woods haten' libs hate. Huntin', fishing, making boats, trapping etc....I would encourage all to pick up a copy. You can get it here: http://www.hotbooksale.com/store/productView.aspx?idProduct=66246&ec=1&ProdId=76&utm_source=msn&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=american%20boys%20handy%20book&utm_campaign=HBSAcc-HBS51&b=MSN_HBS_76_HBS_HBS51_66246_00_*GeoUSCA*__america n%20boys%20handy%20book

Mine was liberated from a library in my misspent youth and was printed in 1983 written by D.C. Beard ( yes that Beard of the BSA). Alot of stuff for boys and girls to do with activaties for all seasons.

rockrat
04-03-2013, 10:28 AM
I used to have one of those soldier mould set things. Don't know what ever happened to it.

country gent
04-03-2013, 10:33 AM
HMMMM a old pan and heat source use up all thise Zinc wheel wieghts that arnt good for much of anything. Als Zinc would be safer than lead for kids.

Deltak
04-03-2013, 10:44 AM
I've got my Dad's old mold. It makes 4 WW I soldiers. Have to post some photos some day... There is no need for anyone to be jealous, as these molds are not that uncommon on that big Internet auction site.

Love Life
04-03-2013, 11:54 AM
LUCKY!!! Toy soldier moulds is one of the few things I actively collect. I would say as much of my lead stash gets turned into toy soldiers as boolits!!

There is something about casting and painting those things that takes you back in time. I usually smelt all my soldiers down when it is moving time, and then I get to cast and paint them again. Very relaxing and fun.

gray wolf
04-03-2013, 02:35 PM
Can you/me/all of us believe that if you take those to school now you get a suspension.
*** has this world come to. Anyway, nice set of molds, enjoy them.

Sensai
04-03-2013, 03:22 PM
Can you/me/all of us believe that if you take those to school now you get a suspension.
*** has this world come to. Anyway, nice set of molds, enjoy them.

Not only a suspension, they would probably call in a hazmat team to remove the terribly toxic toys!

Tazman1602
04-03-2013, 03:22 PM
Every once in a while I used to break out the lead soldier moulds and cast a few. I haven't done it for quite some time. However, I do have a list of sources for the moulds if anyone should be interested.

Prince August (http://shop.princeaugust.ie/)

The Dunken Company (http://www.dunken.com/)

REB Toys Inc (http://www.miniaturemolds.com/index.htm)

PB

Dude that is AWESOME! I didn't even know you *could* buy those molds anymore. Thank you!

Art

Bodine
04-03-2013, 03:50 PM
I have some pewter that would make mighty fine toy soldiers.. I remember when I was a kid I had the paratrooper figures and we used to fashion parachutes out of kite paper or newspaper and chuck them up in the air to see who could get the longest float time. Then we started launching them with our slingshots.. Passed many hours and many imaginary battles this way. Good Times indeed!

Chicken Thief
04-03-2013, 04:00 PM
They got big funny hats :-D

dakotashooter2
04-03-2013, 04:02 PM
Lead soldiers?............................a double whammy of evil in todays society...............

JeffinNZ
04-03-2013, 05:25 PM
They got big funny hats :-D

Their French. That's the bit you paint white! LOL.

quilbilly
04-04-2013, 02:05 PM
LUCKY!!! Toy soldier moulds is one of the few things I actively collect. I would say as much of my lead stash gets turned into toy soldiers as boolits!!

There is something about casting and painting those things that takes you back in time. I usually smelt all my soldiers down when it is moving time, and then I get to cast and paint them again. Very relaxing and fun.
If you make it to NCBS, I hope you bring a few for the assembled multitude to view.

lonewelder
04-04-2013, 10:03 PM
:groner:Great more things I have to get,and I don't have anything to launch them from.I have never seen the molds but I put two sets up for my oldest son when he was little.If I could just remember where.

DLCTEX
04-05-2013, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the memories of my first casting adventures!