PDA

View Full Version : 45-70 varying brass lengths

dilly
04-02-2013, 11:10 PM
I've noticed some of my precious few pieces of 45-70, namely the Hornady, are noticeably shorter than my other brass. I'm guessing it's from their lever revolution line, but I guess I'm just wondering how I should handle them.

Should I cut all my brass down to the Hornady size, just load them short, or only work with the full size pieces?

mpmarty
04-02-2013, 11:11 PM
Whatever, I would NOT cut down normal brass to the shorter length.

country gent
04-02-2013, 11:57 PM
More info is needed here what loads are you shooting smokeless or Black powder what rifle single shot, lever, bolt, what boolits cast, paper patched, J word. All will have a bearing on this.

skandic
04-03-2013, 12:20 AM
I have had this same problem a full .01 shorter than rem or starline super annoying, I wont buy any more Hornady 45-70

Tazman1602
04-03-2013, 12:31 AM
It's the Lever Revolution brass, it IS shorter than normal. What you *can* do I believe is to buy Hornady FTX bullets to load in that brass, in order to load the FTX bullets you must cut down your good brass............I know because I have two boxes of 140 grain FTX bullets for 38/357 and it states you must cut down your brass to xxx dementions in order to use it..............and I have no intention of cutting down any of my good 357 so on the shelf they will sit.............

Art

SlippShodd
04-03-2013, 02:40 AM
I have kind of a lot of 45-70 brass, so I cut down some to accomodate the FTX bullets, just because my Marlin likes the LeverEvolution ammo and loves my load with that bullet even better. Just keep them segregated along with the Hornady originals. But -- BUT -- that's the only bullet and load that goes in that brass. Still keep plenty of full length for my cast and other loads.

oldfart1956
04-03-2013, 07:39 AM
It isn't just the 45/70 brass ither. Brother Art was so tickled to give me a box (20) of Hornady Leverevealoution .45 colt brass an it's the same dang way. GAAHH! Well, they make dandy powder dippers with a handle added! Just cut em' down to whatever size ya need. Ram-rod ferrules? Short-starter ferrules so the wood doesn't split? I'm gonna use one to make a "nose conforming seater" in the RCBS 45/70 seating die! Think about it...remove the seating die stem...find a screw that thread...drill&tap the primer hole (or just drill oversize) and install the ca'tridge case on the end of the screw. Now fill it with JB Weld and press a boolit nose in and allow it to set up. That way I don't booger up the original seating stem. Might even be able to use the same idea to make a nose punch for the Lyman 450...ehh? Audie...the frugal Oldfart....

dilly
04-03-2013, 07:52 AM
Hm. Well I use cast Lee 405gr RNFP bullets and smokeless powder in my handi rifle right now, but I am fairly sure I will be upgrading to a lever gun soon. Does that load feed at all through lever actions, or will I need the shorter brass?

grampa243
04-03-2013, 07:57 AM
I've noticed some of my precious few pieces of 45-70, namely the Hornady, are noticeably shorter than my other brass. I'm guessing it's from their lever revolution line, but I guess I'm just wondering how I should handle them.

Should I cut all my brass down to the Hornady size, just load them short, or only work with the full size pieces?

it is for the leverevolution. i would save the short ones out for loading your own lever-evolution or maybe reduced loads with round balls.

but you may have a hard time crimping the short cases with a normal die. so i would not cut all your brass down.