PDA

View Full Version : 30-06, neck sizing (collet) die.

trixter
04-02-2013, 05:15 PM
I need to know the advantages of neck sizing only. I understand the concept of fire forming the case to the rifle, and they will only be shot in my one and only 30-06. Is there an advantage of doing it this way, or going with seating and factory crimp die. Which do you prefer and why? I am using gas checked 155gr RFN lead boolits.

ukrifleman
04-02-2013, 05:53 PM
I need to know the advantages of neck sizing only. I understand the concept of fire forming the case to the rifle, and they will only be shot in my one and only 30-06. Is there an advantage of doing it this way, or going with seating and factory crimp die. Which do you prefer and why? I am using gas checked 155gr RFN lead boolits.

You will get extended case life by neck sizing your fire formed brass. I am not quite sure what you mean by `Or going with seating and factory crimp die`
I assume you meant F/L sizing die. You will need a bullet seating die whether you full length or neck size, plus some sort of crimp, if only to straighten out any flare in the case neck which is necessary for the case to successfully accept a gas checked bullet.

I load for 2, 30-06 rifles, and as you correctly say, fireformed brass needs to be kept for a specific rifle. I use a Lee F/C die as a matter of course, as it gives a more constant crimp pressure. Slight variations in case length will affect the amount of crimp pressure when a roll crimp is used.
ukrifleman.

Ben
04-02-2013, 06:31 PM
You can also minimize head space problems.

Just keep your brass segregated and labeled properly so that it can be returned to the rifle that it was fired in.

Ben

Shiloh
04-02-2013, 07:00 PM
You are reducing the working of the brass by just sizing the neck. When they get work hardened after a dozen firings, I anneal and start the process over.

Shiloh

fa38
04-02-2013, 08:16 PM
I neck size whenever possible. I have used a Lyman Precision Alignment Die with Neal Jones sizing buttons, Lee Collet dies, and Redding bushing neck sizing dies. They all work. I do not use the regular neck sizing dies.

You can adjust the neck tension for a very firm or loose hold of the case neck on the bullet. If you want uniform neck tension the cases really need to be neck turned.

With the sizing buttons you can size part of the neck leaving a fat chamber fitting part near the shoulder which should help case/chamber alignment.

The neck sizing dies or full length sizing dies that have been backed off a thread or two usually size the case neck too much meaning you then have to expand the neck with an M die.

If you ever full length size cases that have been shot a lot with just neck sizing you will be amazed at the amount of carbon cr-p that will fall out of the case.

The only time I would ever use a crimp die on a rifle is if I was shooting the loads out of a tubular magazine or out of a box magazine where I do not want the bullet to move in the case neck. I don’t hunt so 99 percent of my shooting is from single shots or single loading a rifle.

Doc Highwall
04-02-2013, 10:06 PM
I use neck sizing dies by Redding, the bushings come in .001" increments. If you use the correct bushing size in the die you will only have to flair the case mouth to get the correct neck tension.6623866239

fa38
04-03-2013, 10:35 AM
If you turn the necks to say .011 for a uniform neck tension you could also turn the end .010 portion of the neck to .009 and you would not even have to expand the neck. Just finger seat the gas checked bullet and then run the case into the seating die.

44man
04-03-2013, 11:39 AM
I do a lot of neck sizing and have collar dies, best there is. I have Lee collet dies and they work.
But listen up! Eventually you will need to full length to bring the case body down so rounds chamber.
Just adjust the FL die so it does not set the shoulders back, maintain a little resistance to closing the bolt.
The best thing is to have both die sets and not just neck dies.

felix
04-03-2013, 11:50 AM
The advantage of the BR action is its massiveness. They are designed to free-float the heaviest of barrels and CRUSH well expanded cases so neck sizing can be absolutely minimized to a nat's eyebrow. For all other guns, which are worth the expense, a full length custom die set is desired which matches the chamber and projectile to the same eyebrow. These dies will allow cartridge freedom of movement within the chamber, and provide any "bump" necessary for that kind of fit. The question is: Is the gun system worth that kind of support? Not if it has a cheap scope, for example. ... felix

44man
04-03-2013, 12:48 PM
Felix comes through again.
It has been proven that a FL case is as accurate as a neck sized case in normal hunting rifles. Setting the shoulder back each time results in case failure too soon. Adjust the FL die.
Neck turning or reaming has no affect in a hunting rifle with a large throat but can eliminate run out.
Flash hole flash removal will not give you a tack driver either. Neither will Primer pocket reaming.
BR is different with the precision of the guns. Then a gnat is important.

BeeMan
04-03-2013, 05:41 PM
The thread title specifically mentions the collet die. In my experience (no benchrest, just having fun with cast) the collet die advantages are found in making the most of limited time and money for this hobby. My motivation for using a collet die was a 30-40 Krag. All I had was 100 cases and I was shooting in our club's monthly mil-bolt matches. Even with generous chamber dimensions I got 8 loads before needing to do anything but empty and reload. Add in an anneal cycle and I still have not lost one of those original cases. The system has worked out in a couple other rifles as well.

Brass that is neck sized in the collet die and then barely expanded with a M die has greater service life than brass that is processed by a full length (FL) die (even when the FL die is properly adjusted.) The FL die works the neck more by squeezing it well below final diameter then pulling the expander button through to open it back up. More brass movement means work hardened brass in fewer firings. Then you have to anneal or deal with split necks. Annealing costs time, brass costs money if you can even get it now.

The second time savings with the collet die is not lubing. No mess, no fuss.

Another time savings is reduced need to trim the brass. Typical cast bullet loads are usually easy on brass. Any case 'stretching' is more a function of brass flowing forward when the expanded case body is FL sized, and if the expander is not lubed, pulling the neck forward.

Last, the Lee die is the least expensive neck die I've found. Bushing dies may work as well, but I can get the Lee die plus the M-die for less than just the bushing neck die.

Yeah, there is more than one way to get there but the Lee collet neck die has advantages for me.

BeeMan

detox
04-03-2013, 06:36 PM
Next time you cast boolits you can anneal your cases just by dipping case neck into hot melt for about 15 seconds. Then quench by dropping case in water. I forget exactly how it is done. Maybe someone here knows exactly how to do it this way. May have to Google it.

Here you go:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php/t-56758.html

HangFireW8
04-03-2013, 09:13 PM

I don't understand your "seating and factory crimp die" option. Do you mean avoiding sizing altogether? I have one gun that this works in, but it was ordered chambered with a custom tight neck reamer.