PDA

View Full Version : Your goals when things settle down?

dakotashooter2
04-02-2013, 04:20 PM
What do you want to have/get done within a year or year and a half of things stabilizing.............
I don't shoot as much as some but here is what I plan on......

Stockpile at least 5k in .22 ammo
Process and prime every case I have
Stockpile at least 2k of primers in each size
Increase my inventory to at least 1000 cases in all the rife calibers I have.
Maintain a stock of at least 1000 loaded rounds for each handgun caliber and 500 for each rifle caliber.

I'm close on about 1/2 of it so it souldn't pinch the pocket book TOO hard.

runfiverun
04-02-2013, 04:29 PM
all those things on your list are/were checked off long ago on mine.
i'm trying to ascertain what a lifetime supply would be for me.
1,000 cases for your revolvers don't do much good except that one time, I know I can get about 10 reloads from all of mine so I need that much stuff to go along with them.
rifles the same way.
500 rounds x5 for just about the lifetime of the throat and for the brass to need annealed.

I come to the conclusion I have too many guns to even attempt this feat so I
am just gonna narrow things down a bit.

Love Life
04-02-2013, 04:32 PM
Get a Colt SAA.

uscra112
04-02-2013, 04:32 PM
I'm with R5R, except I'm virtually out of Varget. If it ever comes back I'm going to buy at least 8lb, maybe twice that. Plenty of everything else, but I blew that one big time.

Jim Flinchbaugh
04-02-2013, 04:59 PM
I've been slowly working on "the load" for each firearm. My 280 Rem is ready to go, .308 is close.
45 & 357 ready. Argentine mauser ready. Wanna do simillar to above, load everything I have and
start accumulating pieces to fill ammo cans, then dont touch the reserves.
I've been close on primers and powder this go round, but I will be better prepared
next time when I only have to stock a bunch, of a few components

ACrowe25
04-02-2013, 05:01 PM
10k Primers and 8lb of 231.

cephas53
04-02-2013, 05:01 PM
Have always kept myself well stocked, but after all this I think I'll set back enough supplies for my favorite pistol and rifle to last a few years.

DrCaveman
04-02-2013, 05:08 PM
More rifle powder, both in variety & quantity. Particularly mid range types like rx7 and similar. I decided to focus on rifle rounds lately since I figured my 1000+ LR primers would last longer than 3000+ LP for 45 auto. Primer supply is holding strong but I underestimated the powder consumption.

Gonna have to start using my 4350 pretty soon so I don't run out of varget or rx7. Not sure how that will work out

km101
04-02-2013, 05:56 PM
I will maintain a "backlog" of 10K SP primers, 10K LP primers, 5K LR, SR primers. At least 4 lbs of each pistol powder that I load, and 2 lbs of each rifle powder. I already have sufficient brass for my pistols and rifles. Brass supply will be replaced as it wears out to maintain the stock level that I now have.
I will maintain a level of loaded rounds to last at least 6 months at current shooting rate and primed ready-to-load cases for another 6 month supply.

This will be my reserve and will be augmented to meet current needs. I dont want to ever get caught in this situation again if I can avoid it. I stocked up before the current panic, but not as much as I would like to have. So I will gradually build up my supply as finances permit once the supply returns. I should have enough to last through this panic, but I will have more for the next one. Then my kids can decide what to do with it when I'm gone! :)

big dale
04-02-2013, 06:39 PM
Quit buying any powder used for pistols in any container of less than 8 pounds. Always buy at least 10k of any size and type of primers. I needed A LOT more large pistol prmers.

I like big boolits.

Big Dale

oldred
04-02-2013, 06:49 PM
Buy 16 lbs of Varget, 8 lbs of H4895 and 5000 primers each of large rifle and small pistol, I already have more pistol powder than I will ever use. I also intend to stock a lot of brass for every caliber I have but especially 45/70, 45/90 and 204 Ruger. Personally I have already stashed away all the 22 lr I need but I could still use some 22 shorts and 22 WMR.

redneckdan
04-02-2013, 06:50 PM
I'd like to get a couple 5k cases each of LR, LP and SP. Probably a couple jugs of promo. Really need to layin a stash of medium speed rifle powders. I have pretty much curtailed all 'fun' shooting for the time being, even .22 lr.

Off topic but has any one looked at hackle prices/supply lately? Seems the city twits put the long rooster saddle feathers in their hair with hair extensions now?! 5ct of prime grade feathers go for $20 on ebay?! Worst part is grizzly and furnace seem to be the most popular...exactly the colors needed to tie the classic Adams Fly patterns!!!!

phil3333
04-02-2013, 06:54 PM
I wont neglect my 22lr anymore, i am supplied quite well on all my centerfire stuff,even primers:smile:

dragon813gt
04-02-2013, 07:02 PM
Primers will only be bought by the case and not the sleeve. Powder will be ordered at max quantities under one hazmat charge. Lead will be bought by the ton. I have enough for a few years as it is now. But I'm young and have witnessed prices rising and not coming back down. I might as well buy when I can because I will end up using it anyway. I will also continue buying a brick of 22 a week as well. During the warmer months I shoot one a week anyway.

I also want to pick up the following:
- SA revolver in 357
- AR just to see what all the hype is about
- Suppressor for my 22s and 308s(already in the works but the wait is ridiculous)
- Build a 257 Roberts to my specs
- Buy a Kreighoff Drilling(I can dream cant I :) )
- Need more black powder firearms in all shapes and sizes

David2011
04-02-2013, 07:27 PM
My biggest shortage is projectiles. I can make plenty for handguns but prefer J-words for most rifles. I would not hesitate to cast for my rifles if I have to; it's just a personal preference to shoot jacketed in them. I have an excellent inventory of brass for every caliber I shoot and more primers than brass. I just need to finish the new workshop so I can reload in volume again. Right now everything gets loaded on a RCII.

David

firefly1957
04-02-2013, 07:35 PM
With the U.N. small arms treaty passing today who says things are going to settle down as it will effect ammo in many countries.

dragon813gt
04-02-2013, 08:41 PM
It's not approved by the Senate and it is NOT law.

10 ga
04-02-2013, 09:20 PM
I'm going to keep buying RF whenever I find any at reasonable price. 22lr, 22s, 22WMR and 17hmr. Continue to buy 10ga, 12ga, 20ga ammo and components. And enlarge my stock of open pollinated garden crops and do a better job of saving seed. Build a Solar dehydrator that will not need service yearly. Build an "evaporator" for making salt and maple sugar. Increase my stock of all types of traps, both foothold and body hold types and a MUCH bigger supply of repair parts for the traps. And have at least 30K feet of snare cable on hand and the parts to build 10K snares. Have 10 gill nets of 20 fathom with various mesh sizes and materials to repair same and rebuild at least 5 times(I build my own nets now). Have at least 20 spools of 1K ft. of fishing line and 10K circle hooks of necessary sizes. AND learn how to smith both the "black" metal and "red" metal. Learn how to build a bow and arrows and do so. Train and educate younger persons on this stuff too. I'm retired and have plenty of time and a start on all but it will continue until they light the pyre.

10 ga

I'm sure there is more but this is a start. Some of this can be done kinda cheaply now iven if ammo and firearms are in short supply.

Lead Fred
04-02-2013, 09:21 PM
Neither are the 14th or 16th amendments, and that never stopped the gobermint

All Barry has to do is add the treaty to the 1968 firearms act, and ratify it via exec order.

and Volla, no more 2nd amendment, and the treaty can NEVER be rescinded.

BTW its never going to settle down, its now a tug O war to see who can stock up more before the SHTF.

Me, When 911 happened I had nothing, Within two years I have all I have now, and my grand kids can reload for 20 years if need be.

"We just sit and waved..... Sittin on that sack of seeds"

dragon813gt
04-02-2013, 09:39 PM
Neither are the 14th or 16th amendments, and that never stopped the gobermint

All Barry has to do is add the treaty to the 1968 firearms act, and ratify it via exec order.

and Volla, no more 2nd amendment, and the treaty can NEVER be rescinded.

The 14th and 16th are both law as they were ratified by enough states. How they became ratified and interpreted now is a different story.

I don't know enough about executive orders. And I have no faith in the Supreme Court. But if Obama attempted that it would seem like a good case to actually define the scope of executive orders. Basically repealing a constitutional right is far reaching.

texassako
04-02-2013, 10:43 PM
Definitely going to be looking at stockpiling more primers, brass, and a large order of powder that works well for handgun and mid level cast rifle. Ended up with some fast and lots of slow powders with little in between. I will also continue testing Trailboss plinking loads since it has stayed in stock at several places around me.

phonejack
04-02-2013, 11:09 PM
I will stop loading "specific" loads for each gun in same caliber. Only a general purpose load that will work in all guns of same caliber.

country gent
04-02-2013, 11:35 PM
While Im doing good on powder primers and cases. I still have many loaded rounds from my High Power days for the 308s 123s and 223s. I also have a stock of 300 win mags loaded. Handgun ammo has always been loaded in bulk quantities. (I use 4"X8"X 14" shipping boxes to store pistol ammo). I have a very few things I want to add to the collection, This panic has burnt me on one. In november I ordered a rifle from C Sharps and the barrel has yet to show up. Personnally my first "major" purchases will be a Lathe 8"+ X 30" and a 9X48 bridgeport mill and tooling for both. Possibly a surface grinder also. Being a tool + die maker for 35 years with these tools pretty much anything I need can be made . :smile: Be realistic about needs and wants Panic over bans and such is what causes these shortages, that and the goverment ordering extra large quanities of ammo. Watch the DCM CMP as Ill bet here shortly they will be selling excess .22 ammo off from the military teams. A few years ago when I stocked up they had thier label for 90.00 a case of 5000. It appeared to be federal target from my rifles. Watch them they have surpluss at very good prices at times. I bought 8 cases of the .22 ammo then. I loaded in quanity as I wanted a whole season of ammo in one batch to lesson zero changes. The one thing I may buy is a case of 12 gauge#4 buckshot as I only have a few rouds and I dont load shotgun rounds.

SlippShodd
04-03-2013, 01:00 AM
What I thought was an 8# bottle of 748, turned out to be a 4# bottle of 231. >sigh< May be a while before I can fix that fox paw. Anybody know a good place to start a load for 62 grain cast in an AR using H380? Got plenty of that and nothing I own will digest it.

mike

Boyscout
04-03-2013, 02:59 AM
We can't trust any liberal with our liberties. Kaegan had a disturbing question for one of the DOMA/Prop 8 lawyers last week. She asked, "If procreation is the standard for marriage, should we ban marriage between a heterosexual couple in their mid-fifties?" (paraphrase). Don't think they won't use the same logic on us gun owners. Will she, Ginsburg or Sotomeyer ask, "If the militia is all men between the age of 18 and 45, then we have no problem taking the guns from everyone over the age of 45 as they fall outside the scope of the 2nd Amendment and the official definition of militia."

PbHurler
04-03-2013, 10:13 AM
Get back to shooting a little more often.

blackthorn
04-03-2013, 10:42 AM
Well folks the answer to your problems (and ours in Canada) is political! SO--in addition to "all of the above" I suggest you each and every one join a political party, attend constituency meetings and get a say in who gets to run as a candidate. Political activism is what got the stupid long gun registry scrapped in Canada, and while we still have a long way to go, at least it's a start! Good luck to all of us.

375supermag
04-03-2013, 07:42 PM
While I am at a pretty good place with components for the foreseeable future, I do have a plan in place to implement once the shelves fill up again.

I still need to get started on reloading for several different rifle calibers, so I need to buy dies, shell holders and some rifle specific powders and bullets. Brass and primers are already here in something approaching "abundance".

I will also be buying handgun-specific powders in 8# containers and re-stocking pistol primers in large quantities (at least 50K). I am near 10K in combined (not counting primed cases currently waiting to be loaded) standard and magnum pistol primers, but that will barely get me through this years' and next years' shooting season.

I also need to get a shotshell reloader and associated supplies and gather the equipment to cast bullets.

I will have some substantial expenses, but since hunting and target shooting are now my primary form of recreation (too old to play sports anymore), I will need to find a way to fund them.

I still believe that there will be a lot of components and equipment showing up at bargain prices when the current hoarding frenzy has run it's course.

I have cash and will take advantage of the situation at that time.

dgill99
04-03-2013, 07:58 PM
So I was all stocked up on all the calibers I shot but two weeks ago I bought a 45 colt lever gun and I don't have any colt ammo. Lesson learned.... as you go through life pick up all brass and save it for a rainy day.

km101
04-04-2013, 12:14 PM
My MAIN goal after things return to normal (if that ever happens) is to just enjoy being able to go into a gun shop and be able to buy whatever I want! NOT what is available! I am so sick of shortages and panic buying and back-orders. I would just like to see some variety and quantity available again!!!!!!!

44fanatic
04-04-2013, 04:36 PM
I think I am good on loaded ammo for my lifetime worth of shooting habits if the SHTF scenario does not happen. Since I started reloading and casting, I'm still shooting well under 500 rounds a year. What will I do when things settle down, teach my youngest son (only one responsible enough) to reload and pass on the guns and enough powder and primers to keep him going for a awhile. Of course I would like to have about 10k of 22 ammo for his son to shoot when he gets old enough, he is already the owner of my fathers 22. Next reloading objective will be steel and birdshot for the shotguns.

Harter66
04-04-2013, 05:15 PM
16# 4350,8# Unique , and another 1k lbs of lead and something in 223, get all the BP on 1 cap and stock up 5k or so , get a 9mm , get carbines in 9mm/38/40/45,thin the herd some ........or not.

i think this lis is a pipe dream though.

Lead Fred
04-04-2013, 05:30 PM
The 14th and 16th are both law as they were ratified by enough states. How they became ratified and interpreted now is a different story.

Legal ratification comes via the congress, any other way may be legal but its far from constitutional.

Call Me old fashion, but I believe in only one law, the Constitution.

Ohio Rusty
04-04-2013, 06:37 PM
Pick up a couple more bricks of primers -- both small pistol and large pistol. Definitely load up on 2400 powder. Maybe buy a jug of the stuff. Lee loading dies are insane right now. When or if they get back to the normal price around $45, I'd like to get a set of 9MM dies and maybe a set of 7.62x39 dies and brass and a mould to feed my Rossi single shot.

I'm pretty set on shotgun stuff. I do most of my scattergun shooting with a blackpowder side by side 12 gauge anyway ...

Of course ...I still have the hankerin' to do the cowboy shooting thing and I blather and slobber over the Cimmeron open top revolvers in .44 special .... all barrel lengths. Those guns look better and sparkle prettier than the hot 10 dollar pistols featured in the Sports Illustrated swim suit issue ......
Ohio Rusty ><>

Adam10mm
04-05-2013, 01:20 AM
Spend more time with family.

missionary5155
04-05-2013, 06:31 AM
Good morning
Look past the personal loop. Be prepared to field 10 men with what they will need to carry out whatever mission our Constitution deems is necessary so to fullfill the oath we took some years ago.
They were labled "rabble rousers" by the British and "terrorists" by the present "lobster backs". But this is the day we need to be looking at the gathering clouds and realizing those in power are not playing games. We are in for some serious days. Our goals need to be adapted to reality. Things are not going to ever "settle down" to what our memories are.
Yea I never thought I would be typing these words but I read history. This is exactly what was going on 240 years ago.
So goals... get ready for the storm.
Mike in Peru

Wal'
04-05-2013, 06:45 AM
All of the above posts.

Boerrancher
04-05-2013, 08:25 AM
So goals... get ready for the storm.
Mike in Peru

Yep, that about sizes it up right there.

Best wishes,

Joe

blackthorn
04-05-2013, 11:20 AM
16# 4350,8# Unique , and another 1k lbs of lead and something in 223, get all the BP on 1 cap and stock up 5k or so , get a 9mm , get carbines in 9mm/38/40/45,thin the herd some ........or not.

i think this lis is a pipe dream though.

Nothing is a "pipe dream" if you work at it hard enough and live long enough!

LC Press
04-05-2013, 12:37 PM
New loader here and I would like to be able to get enough components to get started. Having to mix/match instead of buying what I would like to try is frustrating. The really hard part for me is the rounds I will be loading...

9mm

I chose these rounds in my firearms before I planned on reloading due to cost and availability among other reasons. Now due to the popularity of these calibers it has been...um....errr......tough (not the best word but I didn't wanna hurt virgin ears) getting started. Add the cost of everything being WAY higher than it was when I first started contemplating reloading in 2011...ugh.

My goal in two years:

- 1,000 9mm loaded, 1,000 brass prepped/primed, 2,000 SPP, 2 pounds of powder, 500 SD bullets, and 1,500 plinker bullets or boolits at the ready.

- 2,000 .223 loaded, 1k brass prepped/primed, 8 pounds of CFE223, 4k SRMP, 2,000 fmj bullets, and 1,000 V-maxs

- 500 loaded .308WIN, 250 reg brass prep/primed, 250 federal match brass prep/primed, 1,000 LRP, 500 SMK, and 500 plinker/military pulls

- Maintain

Long row to hoe for this newb....

Harter66
04-05-2013, 01:50 PM
Blackthorne,
I think I meant about "normal" coming back . The 9s and 223s will be pick ups ,since others have gone there already,and will be in hand all too soon I fear .

blackthorn
04-06-2013, 12:03 PM
Oh---well hopefully normal will come back sooner than later---at least until next time.

gray wolf
04-06-2013, 02:00 PM
get ready for the storm.
We are in the storm and ducking the lightning right now.
Normal ?? you will never see normal again but it's nice to think about.
I'm thankful for the beautiful memories I have, even though they are mixed with some bad ones.
This-- right now-- is the biggest assault we have undergone. Sure there have been others but this one is right in our faces. The stops have been pulled out. Stay close to God and pray.
The politicians are all sold out, yes we have some on the side of good but they are a joke for the most part. I can see from most of the post here that this will fall on deaf ears but I guess we all have to think about what makes us feel good, reality can be and is very frightening at time and this is one of those times. I am not a defeatist by any means, not by a long shot, but I am a realist--and this is about as real as it gets.