PDA

View Full Version : Range time today with the 308

frkelly74
04-01-2013, 07:07 PM
I was itching to take out the 308 today and shoot up some of the 309-2305R loads that I made from boolits cast last week. I am happy to report that they all chambered and fired and I could hit clay pigeons laying on the bank at about 60 yds once I found out where to hold. The rifle is a Remington 700 short action, I used the boolits unsorted and unsized, tumble lubed with no gas check over 19 gr of IMR 3031 powder. Report was pretty mild and recoil was really mild, there was a definite boom and smack lag time. The bore was still shiny after 50 rounds and I was happy with the preliminary results for this boolit. I will see about fitting one of my bipods on this rifle to see how the grouping is. There was another man at the range with a semi auto wiz bang gun of some sort shooting 308 also and making all sorts of adjustments and fussing around, I think he was enjoying himself but am not really sure. He picked up all his nice shiny brass and took it with him. I showed him one of my rounds and he said " What's that? " I said it was 308 Win and his comment was " I would not put that in my rifle!" Funny, I was not aware that I had offered.

Smitty's Retired
04-01-2013, 07:18 PM
Sounds like a good time was had, and congrats on your loads.

As for the other feller, yeah ...... there is still a lot of misplaced bias against lead boolits. But I think a lot of that stems from people who used to shoot factory lead loads and didn't know how to clean a rifle / pistol.

Case Stuffer
04-01-2013, 07:23 PM
Don't forget that Glock says no lead boolits in their factory barrels and SA says no reloads in the XDs . Seems like we are a dieing breed and I was just reading that those of us over 50 are not mentally alert enough to be trusted with firarms.

frkelly74
04-01-2013, 07:48 PM
Especially after ingesting all that lead.

JeffinNZ
04-02-2013, 02:41 AM
I have nothing but respect for those that won't shoot bare lead boolits. Means less competition for me in the berm etc.

frkelly74
04-02-2013, 05:15 AM
Excellent point!! And the pickings on the berm do seem especially rich this year as the snow pack melts away. I guess a panic does have some benefit.