PDA

View Full Version : new to tumble lube bullets quick question

whomeno
04-01-2013, 03:25 PM
I am now using a tumble lube lee mould. My question is can I run the tumble lube bullets through my lee sizer?
Thanks

dbosman
04-01-2013, 03:33 PM
Yes. Then tumble lube again after sizing.

mdi
04-01-2013, 03:33 PM
Yes. And Lee recommends lubing the bullet with alox prior to sizing, and tumble lube after. Some do, some don't. I use my case lube (mink oil boot dressing) and that works fine. If you measure your gun (cylinder throats, groove diameter) and measure the bullets, you may not need to size. My first mold was a Lee .44 cal. T/L mold, and in the 17 years since, I've cast thousands with that mold, sized about 1/2, and T/L 90% of them...

DrCaveman
04-01-2013, 04:42 PM
If I'm not mistaken, part of the theory behind the tiny lube grooves on TL boolits is that they crush easier than standard driving bands.

This should allow you to shoot them unsized, letting your throat/barrel do the sizing. My only headache with this method was if my 6-cavity had any oddball cavities, then those didn't seat as easily with my chosen minimal case bell. Some lead shaving would occur unless I increased the bell.

Since lapping the cavities this problem has pretty much gone away.

And, I've found (as suggested by ranch dog) that wd40 works for sizing lube. I'll bet a lot of different lubricants would work. Then tumble lube afterward. Until you get a handle on how very very little tumble lube is needed, I think one coat is easier to control.

GaryN
04-01-2013, 05:15 PM
I would also try the 45/45/10 tumble lube from White Label Lube. He is a sponsor here and comes highly recommended. It is much easier to work with than the Alox. I haven't bought any from him yet as I made my own before he started making it. But I plan on it when I need some. It lasts for a lonnnnnng time. And after you make your own and find out how much work it is and the cost of supplies you will gladly pay the 15 dollars for a 32 oz. bottle of it.

dmclark523
04-01-2013, 05:23 PM
Here is that sticky: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?67654-Tumble-Lubing-Made-Easy-amp-Mess-Free

+1 for tumbling, sizing, and RE-TUMBLING. Had lots of leading at first because I skipped the last step. Definitely do it twice.

Cane_man
04-01-2013, 05:24 PM
+1 read the sticky, its got all the questions and answers

whomeno
04-01-2013, 08:21 PM
I have been loading the 358/125 gr.I have been using the 45/45/10 lube.light lube /resize to 358/light lube. I did not know if I could resize the tl's due too the bands.I would sooner resize them to 358 then re lube. I have made my own lube with xlox/jpw and ms.I would like to thank every one for all the help.