PDA

View Full Version : Rossi 92, field stripping?

waco
04-01-2013, 01:07 PM
My brother just got a nice one, SS in .357/.38Spl
All my lever guns are marlins. Are these hard to field strip to clean?
I can't find any info on it. Would like to clean from the breech if possible.
Thanks. Waco.

searcher4851
04-01-2013, 03:35 PM
I have a couple of them and the answer to your question is yes, they are hard to "field strip" to clean. It's not impossible, but I find my time is better spent doing other things. Much better off just cleaning from the muzzle.

waco
04-01-2013, 04:53 PM
Kinda what I thought. Thanks

BACKTOSHOOTING
04-01-2013, 05:00 PM
http://marauder.homestead.com/files/RossiDis.html
This should help

Garpo
04-01-2013, 05:00 PM
Or use a Hoppe's Boresnake from the breach. Thats what I do.

Garpo
04-01-2013, 05:03 PM
Here is another link that may help:

http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/field_strip.htm

waco
04-01-2013, 05:29 PM
Thank you.

fecmech
04-01-2013, 08:08 PM
Cut the back off of a .30 cal case and slide it on your cleaning rod. It will fit into the muzzle of the .357 to protect it from the rod. The first time you do a 92 disassembly/reassembly they can be a bit rough. If you use a .357 mag or max case to hold the ejector in place during assembly it makes life much easier.

UNIQUEDOT
04-01-2013, 08:12 PM
Brass or plastic muzzle guards are cheap...that's what I use to clean mine.

runfiverun
04-01-2013, 08:41 PM
there is a video [called 'complete Winchester 92'] that costs about 12-15 dollars.
it goes through detailed stripping, repairs, little tweaks, and slicking the gun up.
once you have watched it you understand the guns a LOT better, and can see what they need to work properly and can diagnose a lot of issues.
www.GunVideo.com has lots of other videos too.

wv109323
04-01-2013, 09:28 PM
They are a little tough. I found a write-up with pictures on the web. I can't seem to find it right now for an address but it was an article how to slicken up the action. Mine turned out with a noticeable improvement. The main culprit in a rough action is the ejector spring. I made a new one out of Brownell's spring stock. Re-installing the firing pin/bolt was the tough part.
I would not do it for routine cleaning, except when needed.

Bugsbunny45
04-01-2013, 10:50 PM
There is a lot of good info on the 92 look an youtube and look at steves guns google the name he sells parts to slick the 92 up.
Remove the stock and spray it down with gun scrubber or non chlorinated brake part cleaner.
Oil it up after the cleaning.

Tazman1602
04-02-2013, 02:54 PM
www.stevesgunz.com

I've got five Rossi's and every one has Steves ejector spring in it. Reason is there were feed issues all over the chart before but with the Steves ejector spring they feed about anything I can throw at them.

I also install Lee's Gunsmithing "Gunslinger" spring kits in mine, makes a nice 3 lbs trigger or so.

Stevesgunz also sells a video on how to slick up and strip and it is well worth the money.

Waco if you have any issues getting the lever and bolt back in IF you do strip it down, shoot me a PM, I"ve gotten pretty good with these things.

Art

runfiverun
04-02-2013, 08:38 PM
if you use an empty case slipped under the extractor they go right back together no issue.

Tazman1602
04-02-2013, 09:15 PM
Yeah but the real trick is to assemble the bolt and lever OUTSIDE the gun WITH the bolt pin, THEN put the dummy round in the bolt. Then while making sure the dummy round doesn't fall out, unpin the lever and let it fall, slip the bolt back in, then feen the lever and locking lugs together into the bolt. Goes right back in that way, if you don't assemble with the lever outside the gun, you can fiddle for hours with that blasted little collar trying to get it right Fiver. This way it pretty much falls together.

Art

if you use an empty case slipped under the extractor they go right back together no issue.

waco
04-02-2013, 11:10 PM
Wow! Thanks for all the input fellas. I'll have to see how far my brother is willing to go with this thing.