PDA

View Full Version : Crimping question

Buck-N-Rut
03-31-2013, 11:09 PM
When I am roll crimping my 38 special rounds I am getting a hair like circle of brass that comes off. Very fine I should mention. When I rub the lee alox off of my bullet when done the fine sliver brass comes off and the bullet looks awesome. Is there something I am doing wrong or does it just happen? Any advice would be nice.

TXGunNut
03-31-2013, 11:16 PM
Sounds like you're crimping a bit tight, can you post a pic?

Buck-N-Rut
03-31-2013, 11:27 PM
It's not an aggressive crimp at all. I don't know how to post pics.

runfiverun
03-31-2013, 11:34 PM
new brass i'm assuming.
try a champher tool.

nhrifle
03-31-2013, 11:34 PM
Try chamfering the case mouth. I have had trouble with sharp edges causing problems for me. Make sure the mouth is smooth and round.

Buck-N-Rut
03-31-2013, 11:35 PM
It's not brass though like I said. It's the nickel cases. Does that make a difference?

Buck-N-Rut
03-31-2013, 11:35 PM
It's once fired

runfiverun
04-01-2013, 01:31 AM
I champher all stuff new to me regardless.

nhrifle
04-01-2013, 02:30 AM
Are you crimping with the seating die or are you using a dedicated crimp die? Crimping while seating a boolit can cause this as well, and crimping in a seperate stage is usually more consistent.

trixter
04-01-2013, 06:20 AM
When I am roll crimping my 38 special rounds I am getting a hair like circle of brass that comes off. Very fine I should mention. When I rub the lee alox off of my bullet when done the fine sliver brass comes off and the bullet looks awesome. Is there something I am doing wrong or does it just happen? Any advice would be nice.

Try belling the mouth of the boolit a little more, until you can just start the boolit into the mouth and it will sit there on it's own. I am not too sure it has to do with the crimp.

jonp
04-01-2013, 06:49 AM
Are you sure it's brass and not lead? As others have said it sounds like a classic case of not expanding the casemouth enough to accept the boolit without shaving a bit of it off when seating.

remy3424
04-01-2013, 09:52 AM
I also get this when crimping 38, 44 & 45 Colt (anything roll crimped) with the seater/crimp die, I haven't tried champhering, but I am assuming it would end it.

Buck-N-Rut
04-01-2013, 09:55 AM
Thanks for all the replies. It's not lead. I do bell the mouth enough. The bullet will sit in the case by itself. I may just need to get a crimping die.

Mohavedog
04-01-2013, 01:41 PM
Thanks for all the replies. It's not lead. I do bell the mouth enough. The bullet will sit in the case by itself. I may just need to get a crimping die.

You don't need another crimping die, you just have to adjust the seating die you have properly. By this I mean initially adjust the die body to where it barely makes contact with the case mouth then back off slightly. Then adjust the seating stem to seat the boolit to the depth you want. Seat all of the boolits then back off the seating stem a couple of turns. Re-adjust the die body to now crimp all of the rounds.

rond
04-01-2013, 06:01 PM
Does your boolit have a crimp groove? Are you crimping in the groove?

Buck-N-Rut
04-01-2013, 11:55 PM
It's in the crimp groove. I wish I knew how to post pictures and I would show y'all. I may try seating and crimping in two separate steps like mohavedog recommends.

runfiverun
04-02-2013, 11:23 AM
I seat and crimp in separate steps for almost all of my rounds, it would be all I just haven't found enough dies just yet.
you are just knocking the little burr off the edge of the case mouth.
it's no big deal except it can get into the chamber and stuff.

jonp
04-02-2013, 05:30 PM
Go to lee precision main site. There are several how to video's including one on crimping. I was.having some trouble with crimping 9mm and after watching decided to tighten the carbide die 1/4 turn more after adjusting the seating depth and presto.