PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Hose

jcwit
03-31-2013, 10:02 PM
Anyone out there have any experience with this "As Seen On TV" Pocket Hose? I bought one today at WalMart, and used it to wash the car, very lightweight, and did shrink back as they claimed. Just wondering about others experiences.

Don't need any replys from those who claim none of the "As Seen On TV" is any good when they have not actually tried the product.

Wishing actual experience.

sthwestvictoria
03-31-2013, 10:17 PM
Please, I thought this was a family friendly forum. I think that's enough about you and your pocket hose that shrinks back when you've finished with it - even if you have shown it on TV.

SciFiJim
03-31-2013, 10:19 PM
Anyone out there have any experience with this "As Seen On TV" Pocket Hose? I bought one today at WalMart, and used it to wash the car, very lightweight, and did shrink back as they claimed. Just wondering about others experiences.

Don't need any replys from those who claim none of the "As Seen On TV" is any good when they have not actually tried the product.

Wishing actual experience.

I haven't bought one. I have looked at them at the store and passed on buying one. They don't look sturdy enough to stand up to the way I use a hose.

jcwit
03-31-2013, 10:22 PM
Please, I thought this was a family friendly forum. I think that's enough about you and your pocket hose that shrinks back when you've finished with it - even if you have shown it on TV.

Hey you, watch where your mind wonders.

starmac
03-31-2013, 10:59 PM
I had to buy a new hose yesterday to feed the pressure washer. I walked by the pocket hoses, but honestly didn't actually look at them or know anybody that uses one.

You will just have to give reports on it.

imashooter2
03-31-2013, 11:09 PM
The TV commercials make it look like if you are at the end of the pressurized hose's reach and then open the nozzle to use it, it will try to shrink and pull you away from that spot. That made it seem pretty much worthless to me.

44man
04-01-2013, 07:31 AM
I wondered about that! It might make you fit in the bucket too. :grin:

Sasquatch-1
04-01-2013, 08:11 AM
Hey, they are for interrogation not irrigation. Fits in your pocket so you can take it anywhere you might have to question a suspect.

Sorry to the OP. It looks like this thread is getting way far away from it intended purpose. I have never used one but would beleive it would have a short life span.

blackthorn
04-01-2013, 10:24 AM
Wifey bought two of them but we are not yet in need of a hose this spring so no report from me yet.

dakotashooter2
04-01-2013, 10:34 AM
I think they double as a scrunchie.

MT Gianni
04-02-2013, 06:41 PM
We generally go for the stoutest 5/8" or 3/4" hose that you can find.

jcwit
04-02-2013, 07:05 PM
We generally go for the stoutest 5/8" or 3/4" hose that you can find.

Then you must not be 69 years old with a full VA Disability, and use a cane to walk at times.

There are circumstances that require light weight if possible.

blackthorn
04-03-2013, 11:16 AM
Hooked up the ones wifey bought and they seem to work as well as the regular hoses. She just used it to water down some small flower beds around the outside of the house but she is quite pleased with it.

Love Life
04-03-2013, 12:01 PM
I was told that talking about your pocket hose in public was rather inappropriate...

imashooter2
04-03-2013, 12:23 PM
Hooked up the ones wifey bought and they seem to work as well as the regular hoses. She just used it to water down some small flower beds around the outside of the house but she is quite pleased with it.

When extended to the end of its pressurized length and you open the nozzle, does it try to shrink and pull you away from the spot you wish to apply water to?

montana_charlie
04-03-2013, 12:33 PM
When extended to the end of its pressurized length and you open the nozzle, does it try to shrink and pull you away from the spot you wish to apply water to?
In the TV ad the hose shrinks when the nozzle is opened, but I think that only happens when the water is turned off.
Opening the nozzle releases the pressure which extends the hose.

With the water on, the constriction of a nozzle on the end creates enough internal pressure to keep the hose extended. Operating with no nozzle might be a different story.

However, if you get in a situation where the nozzle is open and the water is turned off, but the hose stays extended for more than four hours ... seek assistance.

CM

jcwit
04-03-2013, 12:33 PM

I've used mine once to wash the car, still waiting for spring here in Northern Indiana. No it did not shrink up or collapse when I used the spray nozzle, even when opened all the way.

So far, so good, I do see where many claim that the plastic fittings break, which is odd as I've had other items that had plastic hose fittings without any problems. I also see where many claim it springs a leak early on in its use, probably has something to do with water pressure. I'm almost level with our towns water tower so my pressure is not what others have lower down in the town.

We shall see how it holds up, I'm hoping as it sure is handy to use and store, even if replacement more often than a standard hose.

imashooter2
04-03-2013, 12:47 PM
Thanks guys. That was the only real downside I saw to the thing and apparently I was mistaken. It isn't going to have the longevity of a heavy rubber hose, but I doubt that anyone here is foolish enough to think that it would.

blackthorn
04-04-2013, 01:03 PM
What Montana Charlie said^

jcwit
04-08-2013, 11:54 AM
I've used it twice now, no complaints at this time. Very easy to use and wrap up.

leadman
04-08-2013, 12:17 PM
I may buy one to replace the wash down hose in the motorhome. Would save some space and weight.

PaperPuncher
07-02-2013, 08:20 PM
I got the PocketHose at walgreens. I brought it home, hooked it up and turned on the water. As advertised. it grew and grew, and then the end connector blew. Upon inspection, I found the metal crimp that holds the hose was missing. I wanted to see this work, so I put a nylon zip tie on the connector, and proceeded to use the PocketHose with no problem. There's apparently some hoses that went out with this crimp missing, according to web chatter. I'm going to exchange it for a new one, but next time I'll try the X-hose.

nagantguy
07-02-2013, 08:33 PM
Bought one for my mom she only uses it on the deck to water potted plants. Water comes out and when water is off it shrinks to its small size. This is what it claimed to do and has so far, and they are very light.

jcwit
07-02-2013, 08:33 PM
I've yet to have any complaints regarding my pocket hose, everything is AOK so far.

I am looking at the X-Hose also, maybe for next year, it does look better with the brass ends and backed by DAP. But so far no problem with the pocket hose, it gets an A+ as far as I'm concerned.

gandydancer
07-02-2013, 08:37 PM
mine coiled around my wife's cat. then ate it. "good hose" :violin:

starmac
07-02-2013, 08:56 PM
GD sure glad my wife, or even neighbor doesn't have a cat, or I would have to buy one, otherwise I have no use for one. lol

dragonrider
07-02-2013, 10:04 PM
Yup I had one, worked as advertised then it could not handle the pressure and burst, same day my wife bought it.

jcwit
07-02-2013, 10:14 PM
Maybe I got a good one, who knows. Been using it 2/3 times a week for about 2 months now.

edler7
07-02-2013, 10:23 PM
I bought 2 in April. They were great, till they both blew this week. Both had blowouts right below the plastic hose bib where it would hook to the sillcock.

They were pretty neat, the wife loved them...but lasting 2 months, I don't think I'll buy any more. I'm going to see if I can get my $$$ back.

starbits
07-02-2013, 10:42 PM
Wife bought one. Lasted about a week. First it started leaking badly where the hose tube connected to the shutoff valve. Badly means 20-25% of the water volume coming out the side instead of the open end. Then the lever broke off the open/close valve. Nice idea, really, really, shoddy manufacturing. Wouldn't waste my money on buying one.

Starbits

Bloodman14
07-03-2013, 04:10 AM
Yep, so far, so good. Sure is a space saver, but not sure about the longevity. Will let you know.

jcwit
07-03-2013, 10:27 AM
One thing I'd suggest is to not pull the hose by whatever you have attached to it, like a spray nozzle, or watering wand, etc., etc.

Pull it by the hose its self.

dakotashooter2
07-03-2013, 10:43 AM
I've wondered how they work if the hose is not fully extended or if it is a situation where it may get crimped (pulling it around a corner) before the water is turned on. My regular hose I can take a single loop off the hose hanger and it will still function and not get in the way but with the flex hose will I have a coil of hose at my feet. On a related matter I thought about getting some flat hose for my hose reel until I realize I would probably have to pull it all off the reel to get it to fill.

As far as advertized on TV stuff I bought one of those screens for the door that have magnets to close it and I love it. My dogs can go in and out without letting all the bugs in............

MtGun44
07-03-2013, 11:28 AM
After getting hundreds of SPAM e-mails touting it, I wouldn't have one if it was
free and made of silver. Any company that sends spam will NEVER get
ANY of my business.

Bill

jcwit
07-03-2013, 11:31 AM
After getting hundreds of SPAM e-mails touting it, I wouldn't have one if it was
free and made of silver. Any company that sends spam will NEVER get
ANY of my business.

Bill

That odd, I've never got any.

Springfield
07-03-2013, 05:03 PM
I have bought 3, one was a 2 pack online and the other was bought at OSH. All 3 of them developed leaks within 3 months of buying them. So my personal opinion is they are a *** and not worth buying. It is a good idea and might work if they weren't made in China out of the cheapest materials available. They also don't shrink just 'cause you turned off the water, you have to drain all the water out of the hose.

Freightman
07-03-2013, 05:30 PM
I like mine replaced a hose in front that kinked bad love this no kinks. I have been using it for a little over a month no complaints.

jcwit
07-03-2013, 05:31 PM
They also don't shrink just 'cause you turned off the water, you have to drain all the water out of the hose.

I'm not a professor of Physics, but removing the pressure so the water drains out for the hose to retract aught to be a given. Ever notice what happens to a balloon when you let the air out, sorta the same principal.

BTW what is a OSH, never heard of it.

SciFiJim
07-03-2013, 05:57 PM
BTW what is a OSH, never heard of it.

OSH = Orchard Supply Hardware

Pretty good store for lawn and garden supplies.

jcwit
07-03-2013, 06:10 PM
OSH = Orchard Supply Hardware

Pretty good store for lawn and garden supplies.

OH, OK, We do not have them in the Midwest.

imashooter2
07-03-2013, 06:13 PM
Although I expressed some misgivings on the first page, my wife bought one. So far she likes it. Durability remains to be seen.

bear67
07-04-2013, 07:47 AM
I bought two of them (one for me and one for a camping friend) and here is my take on them: Bought them for my RV and attached as a supply line up on Lake Texhoma. It seamed that I lost water pressure while using the hose, so I did the old test routine. Put a pressure gauge at the trailer water manifold and sent the wife in to take a shower. Static pressure with no water flowing in the 5er, pressure--55#. Wife taking shower with a water saver head--29#. Put the pressure gauge inline at outlet end of hose with a hand nozzle closed 56#, open wide open as if washing trailer--36#. I think the hose shrinks some in diameter while letting maximum flow and reduces pressure. Wife said the shower was not enough pressure.
Another RV travel friend has one as his wash down hose for dumping gray and black water chores and after a few dumps and trips, the cover on it looked like it had been pulled around my tractor shop in the dirt and grease. I did not throw the hose away, but have not figured out what I want to use it for.

jcwit
07-04-2013, 07:55 AM
I bought two of them (one for me and one for a camping friend) and here is my take on them: Bought them for my RV and attached as a supply line up on Lake Texhoma. It seamed that I lost water pressure while using the hose, so I did the old test routine. Put a pressure gauge at the trailer water manifold and sent the wife in to take a shower. Static pressure with no water flowing in the 5er, pressure--55#. Wife taking shower with a water saver head--29#. Put the pressure gauge inline at outlet end of hose with a hand nozzle closed 56#, open wide open as if washing trailer--36#. I think the hose shrinks some in diameter while letting maximum flow and reduces pressure. Wife said the shower was not enough pressure.
Another RV travel friend has one as his wash down hose for dumping gray and black water chores and after a few dumps and trips, the cover on it looked like it had been pulled around my tractor shop in the dirt and grease. I did not throw the hose away, but have not figured out what I want to use it for.

This post may reveal why some folks have problems with the pocket bursting or the ends coming off. You stated 55 to 56 lbs of pressure and I'm sure there are even higher pressures out there. I have had no problems but then I live on a hill in a small town and we just got new water mains on our street, town checked my water pressure 2 weeks and we're at 44 lbs. Therein may lay the secret as to why I have no problems.

Larry Gibson
07-04-2013, 08:04 AM
I bought 2 of them also. Plastic fittings always leaked and they both ruptured from pressure.

Larry Gibson

Herb in Pa
07-04-2013, 08:17 AM
I bought one and used it without problems for about 2 months, then one day I was washing my car and the outer lining of the hose failed...........it looked like some one was blowing up a Trojan and then it burst. I took it back to Wallyworld and it was replaced without any difficulty.

historicfirearms
07-04-2013, 02:27 PM
I just can't get over the name. Seriously, who named that thing?

Also, has anyone seen the Flexseal ads? It looks like rubberized undercoating for $20 per can. I can not think of one good use for it. Even the uses in the commercial are stupid.

Down South
07-04-2013, 04:57 PM
My oldest daughter bought one and told me how much she liked it. So, I bought one to keep at my RV "Where I live most of the time these days". I had an old 50' hose that was cumbersome and kinked easily. I have several potted plants outside that require watering daily in this heat. The pocket hose is the trick. I have one of those pistol grip type water nozzles and when I'm finished watering, I just turn the water off at the faucet and leave the water nozzle locked open. The hose shrinks back up and I go about my way.

blackthorn
07-05-2013, 11:54 AM
Our's worked OK for awhile but then it just blew apart about ten feet from the tap. We won't be buying another.

pmeisel
07-05-2013, 05:57 PM
Just got a couple yesterday. Much easier to drag out, and way easier to drag back.

AW738
07-13-2013, 08:27 PM
My wife bought two at Home Depot and while using one of them it developed a huge bulge and burst. If it had been on stage a spring break she could have won first prize!!!

pmeisel are you in Teays Valley WV?

**oneshot**
07-13-2013, 11:07 PM
Kids bought them for my wife on mothers day. Great concept, but not fast on deploy or retrieve as they show. I can turn the water off and still water several plants while the hose deflates.

pmeisel
07-14-2013, 07:26 AM
AW -- yep, down near Hurricane HS. You ain't so far from me....