PDA

View Full Version : STARTING Point SMLE in 308

PULSARNC
03-31-2013, 09:44 PM
Many years ago when the local Roses department store chain was selling firearms I bought a '' new'' Isaphore arsenal SMLE in 308 built for the Aussie army ,Gun was in cosmoline when I got it and I cleaned it and stuck it in the safe ,Now some 20 years later I think I may actually try shooting it .So my question is ,does anyone have any pet loads for this caliber using the Lee C309-180 r boolit? I am casting from more or less straight wheelweight with some added tin .I have the lyman cast book but was wondering what others were using .Most likely am going to stick to 100 yards or less as I am not sure the eyes are up to any thing further without a scope [turning 58 next friday thingss hurt a lot but it beats the alternative]

cheese1566
04-01-2013, 09:39 AM
I tried paper patching for mine, but the chamber has some excessive headspace.

I highly suggest you have yours checked. I found No-Go and Field gauges dropped in = split heads on reloads....

I then went to Lee 160's and found around 10-11 grains of Unique was a good plinker. I don't use filler and would have to check my exact load. With my headspace issue, I use Lee collet dies to load. I found my once fired GI brass fit nicely in the chamber without any sizing. I left them and collet neck sized the brass only.

Plus, I took the suggestion and put a Williams SMLE rear peep sight on it. Yes, I drilled holes in the receiver, but what the heck! I reworked her from head to toe and refinished her.

I can shoot 50-100 rounds all day long and not get recoiled out and sore.

You can see pics of her in the link below.

Good times.

Larry Gibson
04-01-2013, 10:12 AM
NS the cases after fire forming.

16 gr 2400

or 28 gr 4895 with a 1/2 - 3/4 gr dacron filler.

Larry Gibson