PDA

View Full Version : Trigger time on a pellet rifle

Jim
03-31-2013, 07:34 PM
Not long ago, I bought a .177 caliber break barrel Ruger 'Blackhawk" pellet rifle. After 50 or so shots, breakin' that barrel over starts to get to my elbows. But at two cents a shot and over a K of pellets on hand, it sure is cheap and fun to shoot!

I just came in from sittin' out on the front porch with it. I stuffed a plastic water bottle full o' paper towels and hung it by a string from a hanging plant bracket on one of the fence posts. Theoretically, the paper towels were supposed to stop the pellets. It started off workin' OK, but after a dozen or so shots, I started seein' tiny specks of paper appearing in the air out behind the bottle.

This is a pretty neat little rifle. The trigger pull is not adjustable, but it's a two stage trigger and the LOP on the first stage is adjustable. It's got fully adjustable sights and it's finally settling down and shootin' pretty good.

P.K.
03-31-2013, 09:01 PM
Today's version of the .22LR price wise the way things are going. No shortage yet on pellets either. ;-)

DCM
03-31-2013, 09:06 PM
Pics Jim pics?

Air rifles can be a hoot, are certainly cheap to shoot and quiet too!

Great training and hunting tool too especially for the younguns.

firefly1957
03-31-2013, 09:23 PM
Pellets and air soft are going to be getting popular with the rising ammo prices! I like a good pellet gun i have three a Sheridan blue streak in 5mm, a Crossman .177 target model barrel cocker (this gun only sends a bullet down range at 540 f/s and is very accurate) , and a $20 chinese *** . This gun has a separate lever to cock and is hard to load pellets in it does shoot them over 900 f/s so is okay for pest control however the scope rails are cut at a off angle and any scope mounted can not be zeroed!
It should not be to hard to make a pound die to swage pellets i remember seeing them in the past.

PS I have loaded my .177 pellet guns with BB lead shot and it shoots well hits hard and penetrates deeply.

DCP
03-31-2013, 09:44 PM
I have a Talon SS
It has a 22 and .177 interchangeable barrels.
I like the 22 the best

It quiet easyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to cock and accurate

Here is a great review I found

http://www.americanairgunhunter.com/talonreview.html

nhrifle
03-31-2013, 10:49 PM
Air rifles have definitely come of age. They are not the same things I grew up with and are definitely not toys! They are, however, lots of fun to shoot. My .22 PCP rifle will do darn near anything that could be asked of a .22 LR, and I think it is more accurate than most of the powder burners. Anything up to deer size is fair game, and I fully believe I could drop a deer with it.

Jim, when breaking the barrel gets tough don't be afraid to use both arms to cock it. Snap the barrel open past the locking detent, put the buttplate into your hip, and heave. That's what I do with my magnums.

country gent
03-31-2013, 11:07 PM
I have an rws side cocker (1100 fps) target version. I made mounts for a spare high power front globe and a extra Rear appeture sight I had on hand. I then proceeded to learn to shoot offhand with it in the house with a 22 bullet trap. I use it with a select batch of pellets to verify my chronograph after setting it up. It also does duty as a pest rifle around the house occassionally. It does almost as good as a 22 rimfire on small rodents. Nieghbors have borrowed it and they dont know when I fire it either.A good pellet rifle is a very usefull and handy to have. I have dispatched woodchucks at close range with well placed shots. Rats Mice Pigeons Black birds are all within its limits, thogh those little pellets really get moved around in the wind out doors LOL.

elginrunner
04-01-2013, 04:23 AM
I bought a benjamin discovery PCP with hand pump from amazon. It was pricey. However from what I've read on the the air gun forums, with a couple of o-rings for spare, it will outlast me. It's a .22 cal and delivers quite a wallop. I just wish I would have had the funds for it's big brother, the maurader....

This discovery gets about 40 shots between pump-ups. It takes about a 1.5 pumps for each shot, once it is to pressure. @ 2000psi it's not a childs toy.

P.K.
04-01-2013, 05:27 AM
I bought a benjamin discovery PCP with hand pump from amazon. It was pricey. However from what I've read on the the air gun forums, with a couple of o-rings for spare, it will outlast me. It's a .22 cal and delivers quite a wallop. I just wish I would have had the funds for it's big brother, the maurader....

This discovery gets about 40 shots between pump-ups. It takes about a 1.5 pumps for each shot, once it is to pressure. @ 2000psi it's not a childs toy.

This may pique your intrest er, there is a couple of outfits that make a .50 cal air rifle, this one is called the "Dragon Slayer."

As for your Benjamin, those paticular rifles in any model are excellent shooters and have been around for awhile. You already know this if you read it but there are many articles in the Backwoodsman Magazine of folks around the country using and rebuilding those little gems. You are correct in your assesment about the longevity of the platform, I think I read of one 50-60 y/o specimen being saved from the salvage pile with just the replacement of the o-rings you mentioned.

elginrunner
04-01-2013, 09:21 AM
I have seen the quackenbush website, and have followed the big bores, but the refills on a scuba tank has always made me shun it. I've seen the new shoe box compressor, it's a might slow, but better than a trip to town in the middle of range day.

shredder
04-01-2013, 09:45 AM
I have a range in my basement for air guns and I shoot all the time. My 2 favorite air guns are both modified. One is a Crosman 2240 pistol with a carbine stock and 14" barrel on it. I installed a target grade trigger and that thing could shoot flies off a coffee cup at 10 metres. Insanely accurate. I also built up my dad's old 1377 pump pistol. 14" .22 barrel, custom wood forend and shoulder stock. This one needs a better trigger but is very accurate as well. I will easily put a couple of thousand pellets down range in a winter.

I shoot with peep sights and custom made front bead. The system matches my Mauser sporter almost exactly, except for weight of the rifle of course. Trigger time is good time if you can make it as much like what you hunt with as possible.

Jim
04-01-2013, 09:54 AM
.....Jim, when breaking the barrel gets tough don't be afraid to use both arms to cock it. Snap the barrel open past the locking detent, put the buttplate into your hip, and heave. That's what I do with my magnums.

Arthritis in my elbows pretty much demands I do that. I sit on the steps of the front porch and shoot. When it's time to cock it, I put the butt on the step between my legs and pull the barrel down with both hands.

I like being able to shoot without worrying about ammo cost and/or availability. I bought three 250 rd. boxes of pellets the day I got the rifle and ordered two 1K boxes of pellets from the LGS. They're in, I just need to run over there and pick 'em up.

Shootin' at a water bottle hung from a string on a hanging basket bracket is just plain FUN!

Gliden07
04-01-2013, 10:02 AM
I have been thinking about getting one of the PCP guns just so I don't have to pump the gun. I have a Gamo now but its not that great of a gun?

nhrifle
04-01-2013, 10:20 AM
I have several GAMO rifles, and they are decent shooters and don't seem to break down much, but the barrels need to be cleaned once in awhile. There are a few groundhogs and skunks that wish I hadn't bought the .177 Rocket. Pyramidair.com had the SOCOM Extreme on sale awhile ago so I added that to my collection. It is definitely a beast of a rifle, heavy and somewhere around 60 pounds of cocking force, but what a powerhouse!

Doc Highwall
04-01-2013, 10:40 AM
I have a Anschutz 2002 CA. I made a 10 meter range in the basement for practicing 3 and 4 position shooting.

shredder
04-01-2013, 10:45 AM
Doc Highwall: Wow that is one sweet air rifle. I bet it shoots well.

GaryN
04-01-2013, 04:15 PM
I have a spring piston RWS in .177. It is very accurate. I think it is a little light in the energy department. It shoots around 1000 fps but the pellet is so little it goes through everything. You have to hit stuff right or it just wounds. I've been thinking about a marauder. They are .25 caliber. None of these are toys. Their penetration is crazy for pellet guns. I watched a you tube video where they shot a red hartebeest with a .357 pellet gun. It was shooting a 140 grain slug at 800 fps. Here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o0XVa5oyMU

GREENCOUNTYPETE
04-01-2013, 06:41 PM
My son has the daisy 853 , from the cmp, our 4H program uses these almost exclusively , as far as a solid easy to rebuild gun to teach shooting , for the 100 dollars we pay for them from the CMP they are the best for the buck

good aperture sights , not very fast , but very accurate at 30 feet

not much for hunting ,but at 25 feet if your very careful to put it right in the neck grey squirrel are dispatched

they are great for off hand shooting practice , we have a 30 foot range in the basement

now if i could just resist the temptation to shoot the colored plastic thumb tacks , i go thru more thumb tacks that way , but when you have a gun that will consistently shoot a thumb tack it is hard to resist.

Doc Highwall
04-01-2013, 06:55 PM
Doc Highwall: Wow that is one sweet air rifle. I bet it shoots well.

They typically shoot .010"-.020" 10 shot groups at 10 meters. It is my training gun that I use for shooting in my 10 meter range for cheap practice. I shoot 22Lr. both 3 and 4 position at 50 feet with 22Lr ammo that has a muzzle velocity of 1080 fps, and being a lot more expensive to shoot then pellets besides the travel expense of gas, makes the air gun a worth while expense.

A 80 cubic foot air tank will last for 10,000 shots.

Smitty's Retired
04-01-2013, 06:58 PM
Jim ....... just admit it. Pellet rifles and BB guns still just bring out the inner kid in us. I still have a Red Ryder I still pop off quite often. Great fun.

shredder
04-01-2013, 09:29 PM
A 80 cubic foot air tank will last for 10,000 shots.

That equates to a LOT of pumping for my gun, or a mountain of little co2 cartridges!

Thanks for sharing. Seems most folks don't take airguns seriously but when you are talking .22 cal at upwards of 500 fps they really hit hard.

Gunor
04-01-2013, 10:54 PM
Maruader 117 or 22, think about 800-900 FPS.

I have a .177 and it seems to be very accurate. Trigger - 2 stage...10 shot bolt action.

Ballistics, need to look at the trajectory curve some time - interesting.

Quiet, because it has can on it. Red Ryder's are louder.....

Geoff in Oregon

Doc Highwall
04-02-2013, 10:22 AM
I don't know about 22 Caliber pellets but in .177/4.5mm they make match pellets and that is what they shoot in the Olympics.

I have both pistols and rifles in .177/4.5mm and enjoy shooting both at paper. Here is one of my pistols I bought when they were $225.00 new.

R.M.
04-02-2013, 11:20 AM
Yup, the best target airgun for the buck, and you don't need an air tank, just a tin of pellets and away you go.

dagger dog
04-02-2013, 07:09 PM

Not long ago, I bought a .177 caliber break barrel Ruger 'Blackhawk" pellet rifle. After 50 or so shots, breakin' that barrel over starts to get to my elbows.

I added a muzzle brake to my R9, it does nothing to tame the savage reverse recoil of an air springer rifle, but it does add 3 1/2" to the length of the barrel and makes for easier cocking.

It is held on with a set screw and came with several "tubular shims" that allows it to be fit to most .177 barrels, the only draw back, you have to scope your rifle a because you have to remove the front sight.

After reading Doc's post, the quality and design of pellets plays a huge part in the accuracy of a decent air rifle barrel. The Olympic shooters quality pellets are out of the question as far as plinking or hunting, but RWS, Beeman and others offer "match" grade which are a far cry from any tins you can get from the shelves of the discount stores.

Most hunting style RWS-Beeman designs run about 11-12 bucks per tin of 500, coupled with the right gun will give outstanding performance.

Doc Highwall
04-02-2013, 10:12 PM
I call the break barrel guns "A Women's Bust Developer"

Silver Eagle
04-02-2013, 10:18 PM
Most airguns will prefer one pellet over another. Get a bunch of different types and brands and find out what your airgun likes. Try to match the pellet to your application. Example: flat head wad cutters for target or pointed for hunting. But, also realize that a flat head pellet placed right will dispatch a target. For longer ranges, generally round nose pellets are the most accurate.

Friends call me Pac
04-24-2013, 12:12 AM
After reading this tread and having problems with squierrels trying to chew my house down my wife & I bought a beeman grizzly with a .22 & a .177 barrel tonight. I set up a paper plate on my hay bale backstop that I use for my bow and took a shot. Man that sucker was loud. I took one more shot then headed back inside the house before the neighbors called the police. I already know I can shoot in our town limits but kind of want to be discreet with one of my neighbors. The other 3 houses on my block are in the same boat with the squierrels destroying their house and cheer me on. I guess I'll wait until tomarrow when kids are in school & neighbor is at work before I get it sighted in.

gmsharps
04-24-2013, 02:12 AM
I have a Feinwerkbau 300s with left hand stock that I use for off hand practice and wow does it shoot nice. Maybe just maybe someday I will be able to shoot to its capability. A also have an East German lead BB gun. I have a PC 5 rd single stack mag and a high cap 10rd mag for it also. I bought about 10,000 lead BB's when I could at that time for about 5cents per tin of 250. It doesn't have a high velocity rating but it can sure get a squirrel to shift gears and depart the area and it's quiet.
gmsharps

Jim
04-24-2013, 08:28 AM
Not long ago, I bought a .177 caliber break barrel Ruger 'Blackhawk" pellet rifle. After 50 or so shots, breakin' that barrel over starts to get to my elbows.....

It pains my spirit to do this, but I'm going to put my brand new pellet rifle up for sale or trade in S&S. It's gotten to where my elbows just can't take that cocking.

A coupla' members made suggestions on ways to cock it that might not be so hard to do and I appreciate y'all tryin' to help out. The fact is, this arthritis is just gettin' worse and I just can't do that anymore.

It is what it is.

Boerrancher
04-24-2013, 08:29 AM
I have an old pump up 22 cal air rifle that is made mostly of brass and has the name Benjamin Franklin engraved on the side of it like a signature. I am assuming it is an old Benjamin. I know that with 8 pumps it will shoot as fast as a 22LR. I have never tried 10 pumps because 8 will completely tear up a tree rat with a standard pellet.

The old rifle was given to me by a friend who found it at a scrap yard and took the time to rebuild it by putting new o rings and an oil ring in it. I have had lots of folks give me funny looks when I drag the old gun out, but I will put her up against just about any modern 22 cal rim fire at 25 yards when it comes to accuracy. It is also a hoot to squirrel hunt with when only pumped 4 or 5 times, especially when they are cutting hickory nuts and you can sit under the tree and shoot all day long and the only thing that happens is when you kill on another takes its place.

Best wishes,

Joe

Doc Highwall
04-24-2013, 08:37 AM
One thing to remember the .177/4.5mm match pellets are made to shoot out of match rifles that are only going about 600 fps max and therefore only have a thin skirt on them. If you try to shoot them out of a high velocity 1000+ fps gun the accuracy will go to hell. I am not sure about the other calibers as I only shoot the .177/4.5mm myself.

BBQJOE
04-24-2013, 09:48 AM
I have a Ruger .177 air magnum.
(supposedly 1400fps)
It does get quite tiring to cock, and goes against everything you would think is proper. the lighter you hold it, the better it shoots.
The trigger pull was insanely hard. I took it apart. I can't remember what I did, but I made it very light.
I also removed the annoying safety.

jcwit
04-24-2013, 03:55 PM
It pains my spirit to do this, but I'm going to put my brand new pellet rifle up for sale or trade in S&S. It's gotten to where my elbows just can't take that cocking.

A coupla' members made suggestions on ways to cock it that might not be so hard to do and I appreciate y'all tryin' to help out. The fact is, this arthritis is just gettin' worse and I just can't do that anymore.

It is what it is.

Jim, I realize this will not help you with the air gun, but it is a tip regarding your arthritis. First off let me say I'm not a believer in folklore meds and whatnot, but 2 Sundays on FOX News the Dr.s that they have on at 10:30 suggested Nettle tea for various ailments. My wife and I have tried it and it does seem to work well for allegories, supposed to help for arthritis and rheumatism as well. Been so cold, wet, and just plain nasty that I don't know yet.

Just a thought.

Now back to the Air Rifle issues.