PDA

View Full Version : Need advice for accurate loading

Photog
03-31-2013, 06:23 PM
OK so I know I did a couple things wrong.
1. I mixed linotype and pure lead about 50/50 by weight, but as both materials are my best estimate of composition, its just an estimate of how hard the boolits are.
2. I did accuracy testing before I got my OAL down.
The issue:
I did accuracy testing in my CMP Italian rework M1 carbine with 1943 Inland barrel, lee 120grain round nose, gas checked, tumble lubed with LLA, sized to 309. Using Alliant 2400, tested 10 to 12 grains in .5 gr steps. 10 grains barely functioned, 11.0 gr gave me a 1.5" 5 round group at 40 yards (furthest I can see without optics). By 12.0 gr the groups were opening up to 4".
Problem was that the boolit was jammed into the rifling and the bolt required a tap to fully chamber the round about 50% of the time.
So I made up more rounds at 11.0 grains, hoping that seating the boolit further to just off the lands would not affect accuracy, but nope, the groups went back to 4"+.
I know that I upped the pressure by seating the boolit further. There is still room in the case, as I can hear the powder rattle. I really don't think that going with more powder is the right thing to do, but since I shot my chrono with my 9mm, I'm not sure what speeds I'm at.
The carbine shoots jacketed factory loads (Aguila) at 4" at 50yds, and I'm hoping I can do better. That 1.5" group got me all excited!
My question, should I work down the powder? or maybe change powder (I have w296, or power pistol, also)? or just live with the boolit jammed into the lands?
Just looking for ideas/comments.
Thanks in advance.