PDA

View Full Version : New (to me) Lyman 311413 HP

DeanWinchester
03-31-2013, 03:07 PM
Indian Ishapore, I built the scope mount which does not modify the rifle but allows my failing eyes the benefit of a 2x Nikon pistol scope.
The load; Federal case, CCI large Rifle primer, 30.0g of WC-844T and a 170g hollow point cast from air cooled wheel weights, Lyman gas check, lubed with Ben's Red (the best bullet lube out there!) and sized .311

Remember this is not a super refined bench rest rifle, it's an Indian Ishapore.

I grouped at 25 yards and 50 yards. Ten shot groups. Three shot groups are a joke and don't tell the truth of things.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd371/Reloadingfool/DSC02816_zpsad1fdc6a.jpg

I moved out to 100 yards but I was pressed for time so I just shot at clay targets laying on the berm. I hit 9 out of 10 with the one miss still being destroyed by impact.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd371/Reloadingfool/DSC02817_zpsccec1e62.jpg

I'm really tickled with this load and the rifle too! I shot (50) rounds total and after three dry patches, the bore was shiny. ZERO leading. I'm really happy with the mold too, it's a real joy to cast from. No where NEAR as much trouble as other hollow point molds I've used in the past.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd371/Reloadingfool/DSC02818_zpsbc251f35.jpg

TheCelt
03-31-2013, 04:49 PM
If it wasn't for the 15 seconds between your post and mine I'd be posting results!!!! Good shooting Dean, ya have a fine mold AND a fine rifle there!!!!

DeanWinchester
04-01-2013, 10:34 AM
If it wasn't for the 15 seconds between your post and mine I'd be posting results!!!! Good shooting Dean, ya have a fine mold AND a fine rifle there!!!!

Yeah, sorry Celt. Would it help if I lied and said this mold was a pile of junk?
..it'd be a pretty big lie, but I'd do it if it made you feel better.:lol:

shredder
04-01-2013, 10:54 AM
Nice work keeping an "old lady" shooting like that.

Those are some of the most fun rifles I have ever shot. To me its not about the bench rest grade groups, its about my ability to throw some lead out there fast and accurate. Rapid fire from a trained rifleman with a lee enfield is something to behold!

Your pistol scope setup looks fantastic. I have always wanted to do that but so far have not taken the plunge! I am right with you in the failing eyes department so its just a matter of time. Thanks for sharing your great pics.

Ben
04-01-2013, 11:02 AM
DeanWinchester

Looks like you got stuck with a pretty sorry mold.

Ben

DeanWinchester
04-01-2013, 12:46 PM
DeanWinchester

Looks like you got stuck with a pretty sorry mold.

Ben

I know right? I'm so friggin upset. This mold drops perfect boolits and shoots like a champ.
I think I'm most upset by the fact I have nothing to bitch about!:bigsmyl2:

Seriously though, I'll be sayin' thanks for this one for a long time. I've been through so many molds and never finding anything better than mediocrity. I was beginning to think I was just being a big baby about it.

I can't wait till later this year. I'm up for a decent B/day present and I want a Savage 99 in .30 WCF. I can't wait to see this pointed hollow point in the Ole' thuddy thuddy!

Thanks Ben!

TheCelt
04-01-2013, 01:31 PM
Yeah, sorry Celt. Would it help if I lied and said this mold was a pile of junk?
..it'd be a pretty big lie, but I'd do it if it made you feel better.:lol:

Naw, keep posting the good stuff!!! I'll live vicariously through your shootin exploits!!!!

MtGun44
04-01-2013, 02:31 PM
No deer is safe now.

Bill

Ben
04-01-2013, 04:37 PM
I know right? I'm so friggin upset. This mold drops perfect boolits and shoots like a champ.
I think I'm most upset by the fact I have nothing to bitch about!:bigsmyl2:

Seriously though, I'll be sayin' thanks for this one for a long time. I've been through so many molds and never finding anything better than mediocrity. I was beginning to think I was just being a big baby about it.

I can't wait till later this year. I'm up for a decent B/day present and I want a Savage 99 in .30 WCF. I can't wait to see this pointed hollow point in the Ole' thuddy thuddy!

Thanks Ben!

You're VERY VERY WELCOME !

1Shirt
04-01-2013, 05:58 PM
Excellent bullet. Had Buckshot HP my mold (super job). Good shooter!
1Shirt!