PDA

View Full Version : Just checked my lead supply for the 3Rd. time.

gray wolf
03-31-2013, 12:13 PM
Well it was as disappointing as the last time. This lead just won't breed and give me baby Lead-Lings, Must be all male lead that I have, and no females.
On a serious note, here in Maine as in many other states the WW has become an endangered animal.
Last season I melted down my 45 A C P bullets to make 44 mag bullets.
A nice member sent me 15 pounds Monotype but I think it would be way to hard for 44 mag bullets. I was going to put something in the helping hand section but I see that is mostly for young folks that are learning what most of us think we know.
Well I say they can't get enough help and we need more young casters.
If anyone has any lead they can spare for not to much money I would put it to good use. I don't have Tin but I do have the 15 pounds of the Monotype.
I guess I am getting nervous cause the weather is getting nice and my cabin fever is high from 5 months of confinement, and snow blowing.
If Anyone can help with a little lead or have a way I could do something for them in exchange for some it would be appreciated.
Give me a PM, maybe I can cast some bullets for someone in exchange.

GW

Hardcast416taylor
03-31-2013, 12:25 PM
PM sent.Robert

SlippShodd
03-31-2013, 12:28 PM
pm inbound

472x1B/A
03-31-2013, 12:56 PM
^ same

gray wolf
03-31-2013, 01:12 PM
Thanks men

G W

lup
03-31-2013, 02:16 PM
Your lead is gay. :) Let me know what type of lead you need. Perhaps a deal can be struck for some breeding stock.

gray wolf
03-31-2013, 02:36 PM
Your lead is gay. Let me know what type of lead you need. Perhaps a deal can be struck for some breeding stock.
Well that made me laugh --breeding stock-- Yup I need a good lead Rooster, and some Hens that lay lead Eggs, Hey it's Easter right ? so whats wrong with some lead Eggs, don't even have to color them--After all there so purdy just the way they are.

Harry O
03-31-2013, 04:45 PM
"A nice member sent me 15 pounds Monotype but I think it would be way to hard for 44 mag bullets."

Speaking from experience, don't cast anything out of straight Monotype. It is too brittle for a bullet. I cracked or broke completely through every bullet cast out of straight Monotype when it came to crimping them into the case. Use the Monotype to sweeten the lead you have. Most Monotype has about 18%-20% of Antimony. Ratio it down to about 5% and you will have a hard bullet. It works best for me to add some Tin also, to get the amount of Tin in the mix to equal the amount of Antimony (say 5% for both). It makes it cast easy, its strong, and its ductile casting it that way.