PDA

View Full Version : Sizing question

Namerifrats
08-25-2007, 02:14 PM
This in about the same bullets I mentioned in the thread yesterday when I was casting. I have them all sorting good from bad and I'm ready for the next step. Anyway, I notice that they all weight in between 101.2 and 104.0 grains (most being right at 101.7), it's a Lee 95 Grain mold. But I'm not worried about the extra weight. I measure 30 random bullet from the lot and get the following, .365- .368. The average being .366. They are for the 9x18 Makarov the uses .365 dia bullets. I haven't loaded any cast bullets I've made yet, so I'm wondering about the sizing. How far off can it be before it can cause problems (pressure, failure to feed, etc.). Should I go through every single one and sort out anything over .365 for sizing? Also, does LEE making a .365 sizing die? I can't find one on Midway USA. I figured i would hold off on buying one because the 440 Grain bullet for the 500 S&W all drop right at .500 or .501 and I bought a sizer for those but haven't needed it yet.

454PB
08-25-2007, 02:19 PM
Are you sure it's not .356"?

I'm not aware of any Lee mould in .365"

I normally size as big as possible. For 9mm, I size .357", and make sure that the loaded round will feed and chamber freely.

Namerifrats
08-25-2007, 02:27 PM
It's .365, the 9x18 Makarov is a little larger in Diameter than the 9mm Luger bullet. Here it is on the Midway USA site. For some reason it's not listed under the .358-.365 it's listed with the .356-.357 molds.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=786209&t=11082005

454PB
08-25-2007, 03:32 PM
OK, I'm ignorant about the 9X18 Makarov, but the basic theory still applies. If .365" is your desired diameter, size them to that measurement and check to see if the loaded round will feed and chamber by making up a few dummy rounds. You could also do the same test unsized and unlubed and find out if they work. Only the shooting results will tell you if it is accurate.

Lee doesn't make a sizing die in .365", but it wouldn't be hard to lap one of their .358" sizing die to that measurement.

jtaylor1960
08-25-2007, 04:06 PM
Lee does make custom sizing dies to just about any size. They are special order but are reasonably priced.First I would check closely to make sure your bullets are not out of round.Sizing will fix that problem to a point .If you are using a single cavity mold the bullets should be fairly close in diameter.Taking several measurments around the bullet would tell you if it is out of round. If you have a multiple cavity mold you could have different sized cavities.

Trapshooter
08-25-2007, 04:35 PM
I have the same mold, and observe similar measurements with wheel weight alloy. I use Lee Liquid Alox lube and shoot them unsized in one of a couple Bulgarian Makarovs or a CZ, using reformed chopped off 9 x 19 brass. I load to .380 velocity levels (AA #5 or Hodgdon Universal) and find them much better than Wolf for accuracy, and quite pleasant to shoot.

Heavier loads scatter the brass, and because of the brass prep investment, finding the brass afterwards is a bit of a pain. I haven't had problems with feeding even with the "field expedient" brass and the oversize bullets in the Makarov. I haven't shot the CZ enough to rate its reliability, but haven't had it jam yet.

Trapshooter

leftiye
08-25-2007, 08:50 PM
Name,
You need to know your groove diameter. Standard sizing is +.001" over groove diameter. As 454PB said, then you can even try larger boolits. Many 9mms (.355" dia. standard, though some are as big as .357") shoot .357 and even bigger boolits well. What you DON'T want are undersized boolits (though groove dia will work if soft enough, and pressures are high enough to obturate- better to be bigger). Undersized boolits flame cut- no matter how hard the metal is (as stated, if small boolits, then softer is better to a point). There are times they don't flame cut, but those are the anomalies, not the expected.

After this, you still have to be small enough in diameter that the loaded rounds will chamber. Lots of people at this point will tell you to size the cartridges with a taper crimp die or a lee Factory Crimp die. It is better to go to a smaller diameter boolit, and not deform the boolit unnecessarily (though the special crimping dies will work, you just can't be sure) or, you might could find thinner brass.

shotstring
08-26-2007, 02:28 AM
454PB, does sizing to 357 for 9mm really work that well when your mold is supposed to throw 356 boolits? I have been planning on doing just that but don't have all my casting and sizing stuff set up yet to test. I do have a star sizer with a 357 die which I plan on trying, but what if the the bullets are truly 356 or just a tad over....won't you just have a messy lube problem with no sizing taking place? Once again, apoligize for not trying first myself, but I am still in the middle of purchasing additional items and setting up my smelting and casting operation.

All my 9mm molds and all the ones I have seen listed are for 356 diameter. Can you size them 357 (or what would seem to be more of a lube operation rather than a sizing one)?

454PB
08-26-2007, 05:41 PM
Actually, I size boolits that are .002" SMALLER than the sizing die with no mess. All you have to do is be gentle with the lube pressure. In a Star, that can either be controlled with the length of "throw" on the pump, or by just not fully cycling the handle. On a Lyman, just use less pressure on the ratchet handle.

As to as cast diameters, I have two for 9mm that cast over .355" One is a Lee 125 gr. RN and the other is a Lyman 356402. Maybe it's just luck of the draw, but you can't assume the diameter is .355" just because it was designed for 9mm. Another way to increase diameter is by adjusting the alloy, or even "Beagling".

shotstring
08-27-2007, 02:03 PM
"Beagling"???

454PB
08-27-2007, 11:21 PM
You can do a search on this forum and read all about Beagling. It's basically using heat resistant duct tape between the mould blocks to spread them and allow a larger casting.

JIMinPHX
08-28-2007, 02:22 AM
Its been my experience that most maks have fairly loose chambers, throats & barrels. I've loaded rough cast bullets up to .3685" diameter with good results. My bigger concern is keeping the bullets round. Those Lee molds can be tough to keep well enough lubed so that they don't misalign slightly & give you slightly skewed projectiles. The low spots in the diameter are an invitation to gas cutting.

The Lee sizing kits can be had in any custom size that you want. Just call Lee directly. Delivery of mine took about 2 weeks & the price was very reasonable. Unfortunitaly/fortunately it does not throw slugs at the size that I ordered. I ordered one for .366 & got one that throws .367. It turns out that .367 works fine in every gun that I have tried them in. I get inch groups at the 10-yard line. Personally I find the Lee method messy & foul smelling. If I could get a Lyman die in .366 I would probably never use the Lee kit again.

I generally use a 3 grain charge of bullseye under those with a WSP primer. This is a little slower than a stock load, but it is comforatable to shoot & accuracy is good. I find the maks to be fun little play toys & load them as such. Your needs may vary.

JIMinPHX
08-28-2007, 02:28 AM
Actually, I've found that in many maks, the cartridge will jam in the magazine from an oversized diameter before it will jam in the chamber.

Topper
09-01-2007, 01:57 AM
Trapshooter method works fine for me as well.
Cast em, lube with liquid Alox, load and shoot em.
And the brass does get thrown a good distance to the right and back.
Mine was a duty weapon form East Germany, retired in 1964.